Annabelle

Six

It had been like any other Saturday morning. The sun slowly rose as the stoke of five as I dragged myself out of my warm bed to start of my coffee pot. Dirty dishes sat in the sink, a small pile of laundry starting to stack up in a basket near my bedroom. The apartment was in dire need of cleaning. Since Annabelle and I were going to pick out a christmas tree later on that day, I was prepared to clean my butt off. That was, until he called. As much as I really had wanted to ignore the call together, I myself hated when people didn’t answer the phone when I needed them.

Slowly grasping my phone that was vibrating on the table, I ushered myself out of the kitchen into the living room to assure myself that I wouldn’t wake Annabelle up. Lowering myself onto the couch, I pressed the phone up to my ear before turing on the TV; making sure the volume wasn’t too loud.

“Hello?” My voice cracked only slightly as I cleared my throat, turning on the weather channel on. The weather had been mild as winter approached, the first two weeks of December seemingly flying over my head. I was busy shopping for Annabelle, and getting her as much as could to give her what she truly wanted from Santa.

“Good morning Sunshine. How are you on this ever so lovely Saturday morning?” He said in a Jaunty tone, the happiness clearly rolling off of his tongue. I, however was the complete opposite. Smudged eye makeup most likely was spread across my face, my hair looking like it hadn’t been brushed in days. I had yet another sleepless night, per usual. Scrolling through my DVR, I saw a few Grey’s Anatomy episodes I hadn’t watched yet due to my busy schedule. Between keeping up with Annabelle and work, life had been usually hectic due to keeping busy to not have to deal with certain things that were on my mind. I always pulled it off though.

“Just cleaning the apartment a little. Crossing my fingers to put the tree up. Then I was most likely going to swing by the local craft store for some Christmas decorations. How about you?” I asked lightly as shifted my position lightly, leaning into the couch slightly more. The sun was now peering through the slightly opened glass, Annabelle due to wake any minute.

“Well I was thinking of putting up a dear friends Christmas tree, do a little shopping and maybe some winter cleaning! You know, I think that sounds good. Don’t you?” He exclaimed in slight excitement as I laughed lightly as I knew a smirk lay on his face this very moment. It was strange. Joe had wanted to help me with even the little things.

“Oh, I wonder who that could be.” I pursed my lips as I heard a yawn come from beside me. Annabelle sat on the edge of the couch, rubbing her eyes as her pink nightgown hung over her tiny shoulders. “Come on over. I’m just going to go get Annabelle ready. See you in a bit?” I questioned as a smile sat along my face as Annabelle looked over at me.

“I shall.” His voice faded as I put my phone down on the couch, scooping my little girl into my arms as I kissed her right temple lightly.

“You know mommy’s friend Joey?” I asked her as she nodded slightly, tiredness still hanging over her. “He’s going to come over and help us decorate! Plus we might even do a little shopping.” I grinned as her eyes practically lit up at the word. Whether she was sick, tired or worn out, she was always up for shopping. Like mother, like daughter.

Picking out a cute skirt and shirt, I dressed her quickly and placed a flower headband along her head. Combing out her light blonde pin straight hair, I told her to go brush her teeth as I walked into my room to figure out what I was possibly going to wear. Settling on a dark wash skinny jean, a white V-neck with a grey cardigan and a cute scarf. I only threw on minimal makeup, throwing my hair into a messy bun and brushed my teeth. Just as I was about done, the buzzer rang as it echoed throughout the apartment. Quick on my feet, I buzzed him in before throwing my dirty laundry into my room before closing the door. He’d only dropped me off at the door once, so he’d never actually been up to my apartment. It was nothing to be proud of course. I’d hinted that he had some type of money, since his car is worth more than any money I’d probably ever owned.

A slight knock on the door snapped me out of my trans as I looked over at Annabelle, who was now sound asleep on the couch. Smiling lightly over at her, I opened the door as I was greeted by a smile. He wore dark jeans, his typical leather jacket slung over his body. His intoxicating smell rushed into the apartment as I smiled looking at the two cups of Starbucks coffee sitting in a tray.

“Come on in.” I smiled lightly as he entered, seeing my little angel sleeping immediately. He looked at me with a soft smile as I just looked over at her peaceful face. “She wasn’t feeling to well last night. It was a late night. She was excited to see you though.” I laughed lightly as I walked into the kitchen as he handed me a coffee.

“Extra cream, sugar. Right?” He questioned as I just nodded, smiling lightly as I sipped on the tasteful coffee. Normally I would brew up my own to save money. Before having to live by myself, I was used of all the bills being taken care of. I would shop whenever I had wanted, getting a latte on the whim if I wanted it. It all changed when I’d lost Jake. Even more so when god had blessed me with my little angel.

“Thanks. I appreciate it.” I smiled as he sat on one of the breakfast bar stools as I leaned against the counter. His eyes were glancing around the apartment, Looking at the pictures I had in frames. Merely two photos had Jake in them, ones I hoped that he wouldn’t notice. His eyes then slowly diverted back to me as my brain let off a sigh of relief.

“So, Do you have a fake tree or are we going to get a real one?” Joe questioned as I sipped my coffee slowly, clearing my throat as I put the scolding hot deliciousness down. My eyes peered in the living room to see my little girl still peacefully sleeping, smiling as her small chest rose and fell.

“I wanted to get a real one this year. I mean Annabelle is old enough now to actually realize whats going on, at least I think.” I mumbled the last few words to myself as Joe nodded his head, leaning further into the counter.

“That will be fun. I think she’ll like that. I remember back in Jersey we’d take down our own tree’s on a christmas tree farm.” He reminisced as a smile lifted along my own lips, staring into his deep chocolate eyes. His face was slightly scruffy, which I found totally adorable. In today’s society, most men had decided to act like women and wax off every inch of hair in sight.

“Really? That must have been a lot of fun. How many siblings do you have?” I questioned and almost instantly regretting the words escaped my lips. Personal questions were obviously not my forte. There was no need for me to have to explain myself to people unless it was uttermost important. Otherwise, I keep conversations subtle and go on with my life.

“Three. Nick’s 20, Kevin’s 25 and Frankie is 12. Were a really tight knit family. It’s hard to be out here while they’re all at home, you know? Even so, Kevin’s married now and Nick frequently travels for a business company he works for. I was just that reckless child who wanted to chase his impossible dream.” He laughed at himself slightly, looking down at the floor and not making eye contact. Of course he had that perfect family. I could almost picture the living room, memory filled with photos and warmth. Here, I sat in a dark and dreary cheap apartment that I could barely afford.

“Big family huh?” I smiled as he nodded, a slight glow in his eyes as he spoke about his family. “I’m an only child. My father abandoned me and my mother and I haven’t talked about, five years or so. Not much of a fairytale.” I nodded slightly as I’d hopped he wouldn’t pry any further. His facial expression had Immediately changed, sorrow casting over his face. As if on cue, a cry came from the living room. My body instantly jolted up from its lazy position, Joe’s head turning around and looking into the living room. Quickly walking into the room, I scooped Annabelle in my arms as I cooed to attempt to get rid of her sobs. Her cries slowed as I rocked her, walking back into the Kitchen.

“Mommy. I didn’t know where you had gone.” She trembled slightly as I kissed her forehead slightly her attention then instantly turning to the man that sat at the barstool in front of me. Her lips curled into a smile as she looked over at me as I just laughed lightly.

“Joey!” She grinned as she attempted to wiggle her way out of my arms. A small sigh escaping my lips, I put her down as she quickly skipped around the breakfast bar, tugging on his leg. Joe smiled lightly and scooped her up into his arms.

“What are you doing here?” she mumbled, her hair slightly messy from her tiny nap, the bow now sitting on the couch. Brushing out her hair with my fingers, I placed the headband back in here hair as Joe had now emerged from the kitchen. Sitting down on the very end of the couch, he got down to Annabelle’s level, a smile appearing on his face.

“Well I’m here to help you and mommy get some Christmas decorations! By the time were done with this place, Santa won’t ever want to leave.” Joe grinned as Annabelle’s eyes had practically been glowing like the sun on a warm summer’s night. Biting my bottom lip slightly, my phone buzzed along the countertop as I looked down to see Taylor’s name.

From: Taylorr.
9: 16 am

Hey doll! How is my little niece? I miss her! Freaking out while flower shopping.. I think I’m doing like black and white theme. What do you think???.

Shaking my head slightly, I smiled. Taylor had always doubted herself on these little things, such as Flowers. She obviously was a perfectionist and knew the exact flower arrangements that she wanted. She’d freak out over the littlest things; such as a matching necklace to go along with the perfect outfit.

To: Taylorr.
9: 19 am

She’s good! Misses you too. Trust your gut, you always do. We need to have a lunch date to figure out some bachelor party deets... haha. ~ Aud.

Putting my phone down, I walked into my bedroom, while Joe was occupied in entertaining my little angel. It was strange that she had opened up to him so easily, but thats just how he is. He’s presence is welcoming, and makes it seem like you’ve known each other for years. Grabbing the black PINK sweatshirt off of my bed, I slipped it on over my shoulders, zipping it merely half way. Looking over in the mirror, I was somewhat satisfied with my appearance. Walking out of the room, I slipped into Annabelle’s room quickly, grabbing her pink and brown jacket. I shut the white door slowly, trying not to make a loud slam. Walking back into the living room, I saw Annabelle strapping her little black shoes on, Joe helping her as she struggled with it. Smiling immediately, she felt my presence in the room. She smiled as she saw me, Joe too looking over his shoulder to look at me only quickly. When she finished putting her shoes on, She came over to me so I could put her sweatshirt on.

“All ready princess?” He asked as she nodded excitedly, practically grinning from ear to ear. Grabbing my keys and purse, I locked the door on our way out. Heading down the two flights of stairs, we finally made it out into the parking lot. As I heard his car go off as he unlocked it, I thought of the car seat.

“Oh crap. I forgot about her car seat. I’ll go get it from my car, hold on.” I mumbled as I rummaged through my purse to find my car keys. Sighing, I stopped walking as I found them.

“No worries. My brother has a four year old and had one of his daughters car seats that she grew out of. That way you to don’t have to take it in and out when we get back.” He spoke as my throat choked up slightly. Did he not think that I had a car seat for my own daughter? I mean I know I’m practically poor, but that was slightly insulting.

“Oh.. Thats cool then.” I quietly muttered as I opened the back door to his sleek black car, the smell of leather hitting me. I made sure that Annabelle hadn’t put her feet anywhere near the seats. I saw an pink and black Air Protect car seat in the left seat. Placing her carefully in the seat, she smiled as I buckled her in. I had wanted a nice car seat like that before she was born. I had surfed the web for the best products for my little angel. Sadly I couldn’t afford things like this, and settled for one the hospital had donated for me. After making sure she was secure, I shut the door lightly before walking to the other side of the car. Opening the door, Joe was now in the Drivers seat; the engine already started. Buckling and shutting the door, the car was in motion as the radio played lightly in the background.

“So how’s work? Any good demo’s?” He questioned as one had was on the steering wheel, the other tapping on his knee along to the music. Swallowing slightly, I cleared my throat before glancing at him slightly out of the corner of my eye.

“Not really. A fews girls we skyped with didn’t sound as good as the demos. So, at the moment nothing worth perusing. How about you big shot?” I smirked as he laughed slightly, Glancing over at me while still keeping his eyes on the road. We came to a red light as I leaned back into the chair, relaxing.

“Been in the studio with a couple artists. Writing a little too. Nothing big. But, I did go golfing three times this week with Jacob though.” He explained as I nodded slightly, one of Drake’s latest single playing. Looking in the back seat, Annabelle was sound asleep, leaning over to the left side of the car seat. She looked so innocent, so sweet.

Her face was exactly like Jake’s. Her lips pouting slightly as her tiny chest rose up and down.
Don’t think about it. He’s not coming back. He just wants you happy. Have fun and try to forget about the pain.

Sighing at my own thoughts, I pulled myself back together and saw a small tree farm sign as he pulled into the long rocky road. He looked over at me and winked slightly, my stomach only fluttering slightly. Alright, thats complete bull. My stomach was jam packed with butterflies.

“Wait so we like get to cut our own? Thats so cool.” I grinned as he parked the car in the parking area. Pulling my hood on, Joe quickly went around to the other side of the car to open the door for me. Smiling up at him, he just smiled as he went to the back door to wake up Annabelle.

“Hey Princsess, were going to find a perfect tree. We can’t do that if your going to play sleeping beauty today.” He smiled as she yawned, nodding as she rubbed her left eye with her hand. Joe scooped her up in his arms as he slammed the back door shut. Grabbing my purse and a juice bottle I’d had for Annabelle, we headed for the small booth not too far away.

I could see a women sitting in a chair, talking on the phone as her hands typed away on the computer. “Joey. Were cutting our own tree? Like in the movies?” She excitedly asked as his chest vibrated as he let out a quiet laugh.

“Yes, just like the movies.” He smiled as he looked over at me. Making it to the booth that had a sign Anne’s Christmas Tree’s, the lady looked over at us as she put the person on hold. She pulled out a ticket stub as Joe’s melodic voice spoke.

“Were just looking for a smaller tree for an apartment.” He told the women as she nodded, her fake nails clicking along the small calculator. She was most likely reaching her late forties, wrinkles slightly apparent; grey roots an indicator. Even so, she still seemed youthful and had a sparkle in her eye.

“That’ll be $48.34.” She said as I reached into my wallet to find a couple of twenties I had saved incase of an Emergency. “Aud, I got this.” He firmly, but playfully told me as I just sighed, putting my wallet back into my purse. The lady smiled up at him, handing him back the change from the fifty he’d given her. Se explained where the wheel barrels were and the wagons that we could put Annabelle in. Just as Joe as a few feet ahead of me, the women smiled and looked at me.

“Oh and he’s definitely a keeper.” She winked as I just rolled my eyes playfully and waved her off. Annabelle was telling some lavish made up story to Joe, himself bobbing his head as he looked over at her smiling ever so often. My heart was slightly racing; my eyes not once leaving his precious face. I didn’t know what it was. But something- something about this man was different. I could feel it.

“Hey Aud, look at this one!” Joe exclaimed as he stopped dead in his tracks, a smaller tree of perfect shape was sitting among other misfits. Of course it wasn’t perfect, nothing ever was. Smiling, I laughed slightly inside. I never had smiled this much. My face was hurting at this point. Something about his mood was almost infectious. When I was around him, I was as mended as I think I could ever be. At the moment, he was filling that gap that had been empty for so long.

“It’s perfect.” I whispered as the wind carried my voice. My baby girl smiled up at me, her small hands clapping. Laughing slightly, I picked her up and kissed her forehead. Joe’s eyes didn’t leave the tree for a few moments. Smiling lightly, I breathed and took everything in.

I’m not rich, nor completely happy in life. But I’m just hanging on like any single mother could. For once, I could breathe without having to hold my breath.

“Mommy, I love you.” Annabelle whispered in my ear as I kissed her cheek, her face nuzzling into my shoulder. Joe looked over at me and smiled, Annabelle’s body tightly in my embrace. Joe grabbed the Axe, as I held my angel to the sound of the blade striking the tree.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heya!
Term’s finally over and I’m on spring break so things should be coming out faster!
thanks.

Tinaa.