Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 11

Cali watched with a smile on her face as Brian talked excitedly to Matt on the phone about tour dates.

“Okay dude, that’s awesome. I’ve got to go though, Cali’s got her scan this morning, I’ll talk to you later.” He said before hanging up the phone.

“Did I hear something about tour dates?” she asked as he sat down next to her.

“Yeah, we’re going to be playing a few shows in Europe this summer.” He replied with a large smile.

“Cool, as long as you’re back by the middle of September.” She replied.

“Babe, do you really think I’d allow the guys to book us shows that would keep me away from the birth of my child. I’d leave the band before I allowed that to happen.” He replied.

“Good, so when are you heading off?” she asked.

“Well, um, we’re doing the Sonisphere festival which kicks off on June twentieth.” He replied quietly.

“June twentieth? Babe that’s next week!” she replied with wide eyes.

“Yeah, I know it’s a bit short notice, but it’s going to be an awesome festival to play.” He replied cautiously.

“I know, so how long will you be away?” she asked.

“Six weeks. We finish up in the UK on August second.” He replied.

“Six weeks without you? I don’t know how I’ll deal with that to be honest.” She replied with a shy smile.

“I know it’s not going to be easy, especially with you being pregnant. But we can do it.” He replied lacing his long fingers with her shorter ones.

“I guess it’s something I’ve got to get used to again.” she replied.

“Again?” he questioned.

“Yeah, I mean I grew up with my dad being away on tours all the time, and now I’m going to have to get used to you being away on tours and stuff.” She explained.

“I didn’t think about that. Our baby’s going to grow up without me being around all the time.” He replied sadly.

“I know, but he or she are also going to know that even though you’re away from home a lot of the time, you still love them, that you’re an amazing father and that being a rock star is part of who you are.” She said with a small smile.

“Do you wish your dad had been around more?” he asked.

“Sometimes yeah. But I don’t feel like I missed out on anything really with him being away a lot. I grew up being so proud of who my father was and we still managed to build such an amazing father daughter bond.” She explained.

“You’ll have that back soon babe I promise.” He replied reaching his thumb up to wipe the single tears that had rolled down her cheek.

“I know.” she whispered. “Anyway, we better get going.”

“Yeah, I can’t wait to find out if we’re having a girl or boy.” He replied with a beaming smile as he helped her off the sofa.

“Wait, what? I thought we talked about this? We were going to have a surprise weren’t we?” she replied.

“I don’t remember that discussion. I know we agreed that the names would remain a surprise to the others; I thought we were happy to find out the sex?” Brian replied as they made their way to his car.

“I don’t know. I’ve always liked the idea of not finding out until he or she’s born.” She said with a pout.

“Okay, if that’s what you want.” He replied with a smile, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

~~~

“They really need to hurry up and invent a new machine that can do this without needing a full bladder!” Cali moaned as she led on the examination bed waiting for the doctor to come and do the scan.

“It won’t be much longer babe.” Brian said as he held her hand.

“It wouldn’t be so bad but the baby thinks it’s funny to choose now to go and lay right on top of my bladder.” She replied trying to adjust herself to get comfortable.

“Good morning Cali, how are we today?” the middle aged male doctor asked as he entered the room studying the notes on the chart he was holding.

“In serious need of using the bathroom.” She replied.

“Sorry, I’ll try and be as quick as possible.” He replied with a smile as he sat on the chair beside the machine. “But other than that have you been experiencing any discomfort? Any other problems?”

“No, we’ve been fine.” She replied happily watching the screen as a picture of her baby appeared, the sound of it’s heartbeat filling the room.

“Good, now, do you want to know the sex of the baby?” he asked.

Cali and Brian both turned to look at each other. “It’s up to you baby.” Brian whispered.

“Yes. we want to know.” she replied turning back to face the doctor briefly before turning back to smile at Brian.

“Are you sure?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah, I know it’s what you want.” She replied.

“Okay, if you’re sure, I can tell you that you are indeed having a baby girl.” The doctor said with a smile.

“A girl.” Brian repeated quietly with a wide smile.

“Little Stephanie Emilia Haner.” Cali said with a large smile spreading across her face.

“And everything else seems to be perfectly fine here too; she’s a good size, developing well. I’ve got some good images, so you can clean yourself up and go and use the rest room.” the doctor said.

Cali took the towel from the side and wiped the gel off her stomach and quickly disappeared into the rest room.

When she came back out she found Brian waiting outside for her staring at the photos the doctor had given him.

“She’s beautiful isn’t she?” she said as she took them from him.

“She is. Just like her mother.” He replied, lacing their hands together and placing a kiss on her temple as they walked down the corridor. “So what changed your mind about finding out about the sex?”

“I just knew that it is what you wanted.” She replied quietly. “And I thought that seeing as you’ve been willing to keep the names a secret I should let you find out the sex of our baby.”

“Thank you. So are we telling everyone else, or shall we keep it to ourselves?” he asked.

“I would like to keep it to ourselves, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep it up.” she replied.

“Okay, so we won’t purposefully tell anyone, but if we slip up it won’t be a big deal.” He said.

“Deal.” She replied with a smile as they reached the car.

“Good. So do I have time to take you to lunch before taking you to work?” he asked.

“Yeah.” She replied simply taking out her cell phone. “I’m just going to call my mom to tell her the news.”

Brian nodded as she found her mother’s number. “Hey mom.”

“Cali, hey, how are you sweetie?” he mom replied.

“I’m good. We’ve just been for a sonogram.” She replied with a smile.

“Is everything okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, everything’s fine. I just thought I’d let you know. I’ll send you a picture that the doctor gave us.” She replied. “And I thought you and dad would like to know that I’m expecting your first granddaughter.”

“Granddaughter? A baby girl? Oh Cali, that’s wonderful! And your dad will be over the moon too.” she replied cheerfully.

“Really?” she replied sceptically.

“Of course. He may be stubborn but he still loves you and if he’s honest he can’t wait to be a granddad.” She replied as tears began to roll down Cali’s face.

“I love him too mom. I just wish he’d realise that I’m happy with Brian and that I love him.” she replied as Brian placed his hand on her thigh.

“Oh baby girl, don’t cry. Please. You know how much of a proud man he can be, he just doesn’t want to admit that he’s wrong. He’ll come round.” She replied.

“I hope so. I miss him.” she replied.

“Well maybe he and Brian can get the chance to talk some on this tour they’re going on next week.” She replied sounding hopeful.

“Tour? Dad’s playing Sonisphere too?” she asked.

“Yeah, didn’t you know?” she replied. She glanced over at Brian who shook his head.

“Matt didn’t mention it.” He said.

“No I didn’t, and neither did Brian. but maybe you’re right. maybe they will get the chance to talk things over.” She replied.

“I hope so too.” she replied.

“Okay mom, I’ve got to go. But I’ll talk to you soon.” Cali said as Brian pulled up outside the diner.

“Okay sweetie, take care, love you.” she said.

“Love you too mom.” She replied before hanging up.

“Go find us a table, I’m gonna call Matt, see if he knew about your dad being at Sonisphere too.” Brian said as they walked into the diner.

“Yeah and if he did, I want to know why he didn’t say anything.” She replied. She walked over to a small booth where a waitress came over to take her drinks order.

As she brought over the two glasses of Coke Brian sat down opposite her, placing his cell on the table.

“Yeah he knew, but he wasn’t sure how I’d take the news. He said that he wasn’t sure if I’d try and back out of it if I knew your dad was going to be there too.” he said.

“Would you have?” she asked.

“No, although I’m not as excited about it as I first was. Your dad is a scary man, and I’ve got on the wrong side of him, and now I’ve got to spend the next six weeks with him.” he replied truthfully.

“Well, you’re just going to have to use those six weeks to try and use that Haner charm on him and win him over.” She replied with a smile.

“I don’t think my charm will work the same way on your dad as it does on you babe.” He replied with a chuckle as the waitress came back over to take their orders.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's a girl :)
Thanks for the comments on the last chapter!
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I have started a new story, Another Chance To Live Please go check it out :)

Cali