Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 19

“Sofa!”

“But Bri I-“ Cali began to protest at Brian’s stern voice, glare and pointed finger.

“You heard what the doctor said this morning. Sofa.” He said taking a gentle hold of her shoulders to turn her around and began to walk her back over to the sofa.

“But I’m bored!” she mumbled.

“I’m sure you can find something to entertain yourself with.” he said passing her the remote.

“There’s nothing on.” She said, her bottom lip pouting.

“I’m sure you can find something. Or there’s a million DVDs to choose from, or three shelves of books you keep saying you want to read.” Brian told her, determined that she was going to follow her doctor’s orders and stay rested until the baby was born.

Cali sighed exasperatedly, rolling her eyes. “Or you could call your mom like you said you were going to.”

“But what if Dad answers?” she asked looking up at him holding out the phone for her.

“Talk to him.” Brian said with a smile.

“And if he hangs up?” she asked.

“Call back and ask to talk to your mom.” Brian said with a wink as she took the phone from him.

“I hate you sometimes.” She muttered trying to hold back the smirk that was eager to work onto her lips.

“I love you too baby.” He replied kissing her lips briefly before walking off into the kitchen.

Cali sat on the sofa with the phone in her hands, her fingers ghosting over the buttons as she contemplated dialling the number, wondering just what she would say if her dad answered.

“I can’t hear you dialling.” Brian called, sticking his head around the doorframe from the kitchen.

“I’m doing it now!” Cali called back poking her tongue out at him as she began to dial her parent’s number. Her heart raced as she waited for someone to answer, a strange sense of relief washing over her as she heard her mother’s voice.

“Hey Mom.” She said with a smile.

“Oh hey sweetie, how’s things? That granddaughter of mine going to make an appearance any time soon?” she replied.

“Almost, we’ve just come back from the hospital actually.” She said.

“What? Is everything okay?” she asked, her voice raising half an octave.

“Calm down mom, we’re fine. It was Braxton Hicks, and my blood pressure was a little elevated so they kept me in over night and have told me I’m to rest.” She explained.

“Damn straight you’ve gotta rest, I hope Brian is taking good care of you.” she stated, Cali giggled.

“Of course he is mom, he always does.” She replied.

“Good.”

“How’s dad?” Cali asked quietly.

“He’s okay, he’s out with the boys somewhere at the moment.” She said just as quietly.

“Oh, okay.” Cali said nodding her head slightly.

“He’s coming around you know. he keeps going to call you and I think he may have driven past your house a few times, going by what he said to me the other day.” She told her.

“Really?” Cali asked with a smile.

“Yeah, he said something about Brian needing to trim the small tree you have on the front lawn.” She replied, Cali’s smile widening knowing the tree her mom was talking about.

“I told Brian the same thing last week.” She replied.

“You did? See, you and your father are more alike than both of you care to admit.” Her mom replied.

“Yeah maybe.” She sighed playing with a loose thread on her shirt. “There’s actually something else I called to tell you.”

“Sweetie? Are you okay?” her mom asked with concern.

“Everything’s fine mom, it’s good news. Well, at least me and Brian think it’s good news anyway.” She replied with a smile as Brian returned to the living room and sat on the opposite end of the sofa, raising her feet to his lap, his fingers gently beginning to massage them.

“So, tell me.” he mom pressed.

“Well, while we were at the hospital last night, Brian asked me to marry him.” she said, her smile widening with every word as she looked down at her hand, the diamond on her engagement ring glinting.

“Aw, sweetie that’s wonderful news. I’m so happy for you both.” Her mom cheered. “I’m assuming you said yes.”

Cali giggled, “Of course I said yes mom. I love him more than I’ve ever loved anyone before. He makes me happy.” she said, her eyes meeting Brian’s.

“I know he does sweetie. The two, well actually three of you are going to have such a wonderful life together.” she replied.

“I just hope dad will take the news as good as you have.” Cali said, her smile faltering slightly.

“Cali sweetie, your dad is happy for you, it’s just as I keep on saying, and he’s a stubborn fucker and doesn’t like admitting when he’s wrong.” She said, Cali almost choking at the sound of her mom cursing. “I’ll tell him the good news as soon as he get’s back from wherever he’s disappeared off too.”

“Okay mom, thank you. I’ll call you soon.” Cali said with a smile.

“Okay sweetie. Love you.” she replied.

“Love you too mom.” Cali said before hanging up.

“See, that wasn’t so painful, was it?” Brian said smugly.

“Dad wasn’t home and mom is happy for us. She said that dad keeps on going to call and he’s even passed by the house, said that the tree out front needs to be cut back a little.” She said, a small smirk appearing on her lips.

Brian shook his head, a smile spreading across his thin lips as he entwined his fingers with hers, bringing them up to his lips.

“Maybe once he knows that I’m really serious about you, that I love you enough to spend the rest of my life with you, he’ll finally quit being stubborn and start being a father to you again.” he said.

“I hope so.” She muttered, slowly stretching across to place her lips on his. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” he murmured, his lips brushing over hers before she pulled back, her eyes wide as her hand clamped around her stomach.

“Cali? Babe? What’s wrong? Is it Braxton Hicks again?” Brian asked, sitting up straighter.

“No, no I think this is the real thing this time. I think my water just broke.”

*~*

Not long after hanging up the phone to her daughter, Fran Hetfield heard the front door open and close, footsteps making their way over the hardwood floor into the kitchen where she was sat next to the breakfast bar.

“Hey, good morning?” she asked as James walked over to her, kissing her temple.

“Yeah, you?” he asked as he poured a mug of coffee from the machine.

“Very good. I’ve just gotten off the phone to our daughter.” She replied.

“How is she?” he asked as his lips twitched slightly trying to form a smile.

“She’s good, really good in fact, well apart from spending the night in the hospital, she-“

“Hospital? Is she okay? The baby?” James asked panicked.

“Calm down, they’re both fine. She just had Braxton Hicks contractions and they kept her in over night because her blood pressure was a little high.” She explained, relief clearly washing over James’ face.

“She had some other news too.” she said as James took a seat next to her. “She and Brian are now engaged.”

“Engaged?” James asked.

“Yes Darling, engaged, affianced, betrothed to be married…” she replied dryly.

“He’s asked her to marry him?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah. He loves her James and she loves him. they’re about to have a baby together, they’re going to spend the rest of their lives together and you need to stop being so fucking stubborn and realise that Brian is, and will always be a big part of her life now. They’re together, they love each other, and they’re going to be a family.” Fran said.

“I know, I know!” James retorted just as the phone rang.

Fran picked up the phone again, her eyes widening as she listened to the person on the other end.

“Okay sweetie, stay calm, I’m on my way.” She said hanging up.

“That was Cali, her waters have broken.” She told James.

“What?” he asked standing up.

“You’re about to become a grandfather.” She said, grabbing the car keys off the side. “Are you coming to the hospital?”

“No.” James stated blankly, turning and leaving his wife stood confused in the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
The baby's coming!!!!!
Only one more chapter, and the epilogue left.
Comments would be lovely :)

I've also started a new story, Scars if you wanna check it out :)