You're No Good At Lying

Chapter XXI

Spencer never imagined leaving tour would be that difficult. When she left with Morgan to work, she never imagined that she would become so attached to such a group of people so unlike anyone she had ever met before. So as she stood surrounded by the people she met, exchanging hugs and phone numbers, Spencer felt a pang of guilt for the way she had acted around some of them -- cold, callous, prickly. Out of the corner of her eye she saw people exchanging goodbyes with her brother. Not that people didn't seem upset to see her go -- they did, and their sadness was truly genuine -- but boy, had people become attached to Morgan.

A photographer from another band, a girl named Jenny, was tearing up, as was another merchandise girl from a different band. The boys from the band Morgan and Spencer worked for each gave Morgan hugs that lasted thirty seconds apiece. And when Andrew had finally reached Morgan, well, Spencer assumed the bubbly blonde would break down into complete tears. While he didn't cry (at least not in front of his best friend) their hug did seem to go on forever. And when Andrew finally pulled back to say something under his breath to her brother, Morgan pulled him right back in for an even more emotional embrace.

When the moment had finished, Andrew made his way over to Spencer, and she had to swallow the lump of nerves that had formed in her throat. "Everything's going to be okay, Spence. I promise," he said softly. Spencer just nodded. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. Just as words began to form in her mouth, Andrew cut her off by saying, "Stop, Spencer. I -- I'm sorry. For everything. I know that you blame yourself, but, really, you shouldn't. I was being so fucking forceful... so fucking stupid. I should have backed off a while ago."

"I forgive you," Spencer whispered, staring at their shoes. Andrew just nodded, letting go of her hands (she didn't even realize he had been holding them) and took a step back. She suddenly felt a pair of hands on her shoulders, and quickly spun around on her heels to face Zack.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked softly, and she nodded, allowing him to pull her away from the crowd. "Do you need anything?" Zack questioned, and Spencer shook her head. "Money? Food?"

"I'm fine," Spencer replied. "Morgan has everything all sorted."

Zack nodded. "'Kay." There was silence for a moment, before Spencer just couldn't take it any longer. She took a half step forward, allowing her arms to wrap around Zack's waist. He didn't need to think twice, his arms immediately coming to wrap around Spencer, as well. The girl sniffed, tears forming in her eyes. Though she knew this wouldn't be the final time seeing Zack, the idea was now forming in her mind. Under what circumstances would she see him next? Would it be soon, or not for a while? Not knowing the answer to something wasn't a feeling Spencer was accustomed to, and at the moment, it made her feel like she was going to pass out. "Call me when you get back to Florida, okay, Spencer?" Zack whispered, and Spencer nodded against his chest. "Keep me updated."

"I promise," she said softly. Zack kissed the top of her head.

"Have a safe flight, babe."

Goodbyes never suited Spencer well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, it feels weird to write this. I just... I ran out of ideas. And I'm writing this from scratch, just seeing where it goes. It's like digging up a piece of my past, and not know what to do with it.