Status: It is now rated R. dun dun dunnnn

When All the Lights Go Out

m i s s i n g t h e b a l l

Natalie lied back down on her bed watching Lexie get ready. Lexie stood in the vanity mirror, applying her purple eye shadow. She watched Natalie flip through a magazine slowly through the mirror.

“I don't get why you just don't ditch.”

Natalie didn’t take her eyes off the page, “I rather not get expelled, thank you.”

“That never stopped you before. This is the first dance, you have to go. Everyone is expecting you to,” Lexie grabbed her shoes and started to put on the knee high boots, which were Natalie’s.

“Lexie, I don't care if everyone is expecting me. I'm not the queen. It’s not that big of a deal…hey, are those mine?”

“Natalie, you are the queen. Every girl wants to be you and every guy wants to be with you. How can you say no to all of that?”

She scoffed, “Please every girl and guy not with us will probably be dead sooner or later.”

“Oh my god, do you want the whole school to know?”

“Lexie,” Natalie rubbed her temples, “please, go enjoy the party.”

Lexie giggled, forgetting the conversation and waved. “Blaise baby!”

Natalie groaned and tossed her magazine on the floor. Checking her watch, she wondered how much slower time can get. Natalie was beyond bored. All of her friends are at the Ball. The only ones that aren’t are first and second years and the ones who couldn’t get dates. She groaned into her pillow, she had at least a dozen boys ask her and she only said yes to one: Alex. And now Natalie can’t even go with him.

Since Natalie had nothing to do, she figured showing up early at Lupin’s office wouldn’t be such a bad thing and it even may prove that she can be responsible. Natalie swung her closet opened; the first thing she saw was her dress. It was red, flowing, royal, and beautiful. She sighed and stripped of her sweats, replacing them with jeans.

Walking out, Natalie grabbed her union Jack purse and threw her hair into a messy ponytail. She passed many friends who were getting ready to leave. Alex and Lexie were no where around. Of course, thought Natalie. They’re out having fun.

-

Natalie paced back and forth between Remus’ classroom doors. It’s not like she was afraid, but more like nervous. This confused her, the one thing every one knows about Natalie is that she isn't afraid of everything. Finally, she opened the door and entered quietly. Natalie walked to the front of the classroom and placed her purse down. Above she could hear a door open and close. The professor walked down the stairs.

“Miss Grimm, you’re early,” Remus chuckled at the girl. “Almost fifteen minutes.”

“Well, you know, I wanted to make a good impression,” Natalie flicked a stray hair out of her eyes.

“So you were bored?”

Natalie sat down at a desk, “Pretty much.”

Remus sighed and motioned her to follow him back to his office. “I’m sorry you can’t go to the dance.”

“No you aren’t,” Natalie chuckled as she sat down in front of Remus’ large desk.

“What makes you say that? I could genuinely mean it you know.”

“Mmhm, like any teachers mean it. But I guess your better then McGonagall.”

“Gee, thanks,” Remus rolled his eyes. “Anyway, I need you to grade these papers. It should be easy, most of the fourth years failed.”

With a wave of his hand a stack of at least twenty papers flew neatly on Natalie’s lap. Natalie looked at the professor who had occupied his time looking through his desk. Her stare was complete awestruck.

“Yes, Miss Grimm?”

“How did you do that? I mean, I can’t- I can’t do that!”

Remus looked up, “Wandless magic? You can’t do wandless magic?”

Natalie shrugged, “I wish.”

Remus thought for a while, debating the pros and cons. He sighed, “If you want I could teach you.”

“Really?” Natalie grinned. “You would do that?”

Remus smiled and nodded.

“Oh, professor, I’d love that!”

“Good, good.” He cleared his throat. “Now get to work please.”

Natalie smiled eagerly and walked to the smaller desk on the wall opposite of his. Remus sat at his desk watching Natalie grumble as she corrected the tests, smiling to himself.

-

One hour passed and Natalie had only one more hour to go, then she’d be free. Remus was still there, but he didn’t have much to do with a helper around. He would’ve left, but he had to stay and make sure Natalie doesn’t leave.

The cheers and music could be heard and it made Natalie go slower. She wished she was with her friends, partying the night away. Natalie shook her head and got back to work.

“Everything alright?” Remus asked, his feet atop his desk.

“These fourth years don't know anything. How hard is it?” Natalie sighed, as she got up and placed the twenty-three corrected papers on his desk. “So…um, is that it?”

Remus chuckled, “Well, you do have one hour left. I’ll see if I can find something.”

Remus left the room, so Natalie sat on his chair. She smiled and spun herself around, giggling to herself. Natalie wasn’t worried about Remus coming in and seeing her; she could really care less. It wasn’t until she heard a slow song come on did she stop. The song they were playing is one of her favorites. Natalie frowned as the piano started.

“I have found some…thing,” Remus said. “Is everything all right?”

Natalie gave him a sad smiled and shrugged, “I like this song.”

“Oh, I’ve never heard it…it’s a nice song.”

“Yeah, I was looking forward to dancing to it.”

Remus sat on the edge of his desk near Natalie, “If you don't mind be asking, who was taking you?”

“Alex was,” Natalie rolled her eyes at his name. “Tonight was supposed to be special.”

“Well it still can be,” Remus stood up and offered his hand.

“I- you can’t be serious?” Natalie asked with her eyebrow raised.

Remus grinned, “Oh, but I am.”

Natalie beamed and took his hand. Their hands laced together and the two couldn’t deny how perfect their hands fit into each others. Remus placed his right hand on the curve of her waist, while Natalie placed hers on his shoulders.

Together they danced, perfectly as if they have done this before. On the chorus, Remus spun her around and Natalie giggled as he dipped her. The song was soon ending and as the last words were sung Remus spun her again, but this time he brought her back into his arms, her back against him. Remus’ arms wrapped around her stomach; their hands still laced.

Natalie could feel his hot breath on her neck as she turned to get a better look at him. Remus released her quickly as if he realized what he just did. Natalie cleared her throat and fixed her hair and grabbed her purse. Remus walked her to his office door.

“Um, so…” He started.

“I’ll see you…in class…” Natalie breathed.

“Yes! Yes, in class.”

Natalie opened her mouth, but decided against it and just walked out the door.

Remus shut the door quietly and walked back to his chair. He scoffed and shook his head, unbelievable, he thought.

“If I could find out how
To make you listen now
Because I'm starving for you here
With my undying love
And I, I will”

“Breathe for love tomorrow
Cause there's no hope for today
Breathe for love tomorrow
Cause maybe there's another way”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hoped you liked it! The lyrics are Breathe by Paramore
I picked this song cause i feel like it has that whole romeo and juliet, star crossed lovers, forbidden love, feel. :D
comment, puh-lease!!!

Natalie



Image
Cassi