Status: Coming along...

I Don't Know You, But We Can Change That

I miss you, I miss you

Somewhere between the tossing and turning and my restless brain I drifted into sleep. I awoke with a smile and turned to my alarm clock, 6:27 glowed and I smiled instantly. Not only did I beat my alarm by 3 minutes I had an amazing dream about Devin.

I know he hasn’t talked to me in 2 years but that didn’t keep me from drooling over him like a complete fool. Dreaming about those emerald green eyes and wishing I knew what it would be like to be in his arms, just as my thoughts were about to run with how dreamy Devon Pierson is my alarm signaled that I should get out of bed.

15 minutes later I had on my uniform, looked at myself in the mirror and thank my mother for giving me her curves. “Oh yeah baby, how you doing?” I laughed as I winked at my reflection before I let Young by The Summer Set to make my body move around the room.

You and I are young
What makes it wrong
For us to fall in love
And either way
We'll never change
We'll talk and touch
The day away


I swayed along to the music and turned once in a while. I was getting lost in the music and my joy for my last year in high school.

Now would you
Love me, if I was crazy
Girl, I'm going crazy for you
I'm crazy for you
Lets waste away together
We can stay this way forever
Because we're never gonna be as young as we are tonight
We'll let the world know we're alive
We're here to chase the flashing lights
Just wait and see
And there's no need to complicate it
This will be our year to take it
We're never gonna be as young as we are tonight

I like the way
You throw away
The keys, forget your car
To walk with me
The way you always found
The way to see the finer things


I jumped on to my bed with a perfect view of myself in my mirror and sang the lyrics to myself. Oh this would have been a sight to see.

Now would you
Love me, if I was crazy
Girl, I'm going crazy for you
I'm crazy for you
Lets waste away together
We can stay this way forever
Because we're never gonna be as young as we are tonight
We'll let the world know we're alive
We're here to chase the flashing lights
Just wait and see
And there's no need to complicate it
This will be our year to take it
We're never gonna be as young as we are tonight


I ended the verse screaming tonight, which only resulted in my mom rushing through the door and me a tangled mess amongst my limbs. She walked into the room and lowered the music before she helped me up and laughed hysterically at my clumsy self.

“Well I guess you inherited my klutziness. Sorry about that.”

“Yeah, who would have thought that being short doesn’t really give you low center of gravity?”

“We defy the law of gravity.” We laughed and embraced each other. We soon settled into a comfortable silence before my mom kissed my forehead and began to walk out of my room. When she reached the doorway she turned around and smiled at me, “Hurry up and get dressed so you can have time to eat some pancakes. Don’t want to be late for the first day of class?”

“Chocolate chip?” I asked with a sheepish smile.

“Yup.” She laughed as she walked away and I finished my minimal make up which
consisted of eyeliner and lip gloss. I let my wavy hair down and accessorized it with one of my many headbands. (It’s an obsession; once you start you just can’t stop.)

(Come here, come here, come here)
I'll take your photo for ya
(Come here, come here, come here)
Drive you around the corna
(Come here, come here, come here)
You know you really oughta
(Come here, come here, come here)
Move outta California


I leaped across my bed toward my nightstand to get my phone.

“Madelyne Grant, the one who’s gonna make you scream. How can I be of service?”

“Well, you can start by going to school and grabbing Devin and pushing him into the nearest supply closet and having you way with him.” Summer stated matter-of-factly.

“Oh how I wish.” I sighed exasperatedly. “I mean the man plays guitar…”

“Do your snobby friends know how kinky you are?” Summer cut in.

“Oh Sum, you know it’s all for you.”

“Damn straight!”

We wished each other luck and I made Summer promise me that she’d hug the heck out of Liz, Nate and Danny. I had to shortly get off the phone because I needed to stuff my face with chocolate chip pancakes before I faced Jennings Academy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got to Jennings I ran straight to my tree. It curved down towards the ground making one of the bigger branches an ideal seat. I sat and pulled out my journal and started doodling. I was so lost in thought that I didn’t notice Sara calling my name.

Sara was in all my sophomore year classes, she was a closet nerd with a love for all thing comics which is why her best friend Albert was a perfect match for her. Don’t hold your breathe on either of the two owning up to their feelings for each other. She had amazing curly hair, the one you envy if you have straight hair. She had kind brown eyes and sun-kissed skin.

Albert and Sara were neighbors that bonded over comic books. He was also best friends with Devin. Yes, THAT Devin. Which meant me and Sara had to keep our Devin talks on the down low. I hated it, we ran in the same circles and he ignored me like an itch on the inside of you nose.

When I finally heard Sara I looked up and bit my lip like a kid caught in an uh-oh.

“Geezus, Maddie, what am I going to do with you.”

“Love and cherish me till the end of time?” I shrugged and smiled. “Hey Albert, you looking like crap.”

“Party with Dev and the rest of the guys.”

“Of course, end of summer party. Why didn’t I think to get wasted? Oh yeah because the first day of class would have been a bitch without the hangover, you’re brilliant.”

“Who’s brilliant?” Oh I know that voice anywhere, of course I didn’t say anything because he’d act like I didn’t exist. Oh my heart breaks a little more. Geez any more dramatic!

“You guys are.” Sara stated while looking at Albert and Devin. The boys just smiled widely at her. They continued on with their conversation and I lost myself in my thoughts.

“So what about you Maddie?”

“Huh?” So lost in my thoughts I was having a hard time to register that Devin asked a question directed to me.

“You up for hanging out after school?”

“Uhm…”

(Come here, come here, come here)
I'll take your photo for ya
(Come here, come here, come here)
Drive you around the corna
(Come here, come here, come here)
You know you really oughta
(Come here, come here, come here)
Move outta California


Saved by The Vines!

“Hey…”

“We love you! We miss you!” Summer, Liz, Danny and Nate singed over the phone. Sara and the guys hearing this began laughing at the antics of my friends.

“…”

“Come on Mad, you know you want to…” Nate chuckled.

“Maddie, you have to!” Danny and Liz pleaded over the phone.

“Oh gosh I’m going to kill you guys when I see you.”

“Just do it, woman!” Summer screamed causing the guys and Sara to laugh even more. Honestly I could do it but I never did it front of anyone except for Sara.

I bit my lip and exhaled, “ Until we meet again, things won’t be the same!” when I was done singing my line from a song we made up late one summer day before I started at Jennings.

All I heard was the celebration of my friends and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Now was that so hard?” Nate taunted.

“Nope. Love you guys I see you soon, and if Summer didn’t hug you guys for me feel free to make her day miserable.”

“Oh trust me, she hugged the air all out of me!” Danny yelled exasperated.

We said our goodbyes and before I meet the eyes of the three people next to me I felt the heat in my cheeks.

“Oh Jeebus!” I cried out as I buried my face into my hands.

“Well at least you can carry a tune.” Albert stated. I looked at him an returned his smile.

“Anyways, Maddie you hanging or not?” Sara asked while trying to subtly jerking her head towards Devin when she asked.

“Oh right! Uhm…sure.” I said with a smile before I looked down at my phone.

Summer!!! Devin heard the whole shenanigans. I want to crawl under a rock.

“I should be heading to class. I have Ms. C for homeroom. You know how bitter that woman is.” I stated to the three as I walked away. “See you guys later!” I called over my shoulder.

“Wait!” I turned around to face Devin. I couldn’t help my eyes from widening when I saw him running towards me. “I got Ms. C too.” I tilted my head in confusion. He began fussing with his hair before he looks at me, “Thought we could walk together?” he asked unsure of my answer.

“Sure…” I smile reassuringly at him.

“Awesome!” We both laugh and take off towards the main hallway.

I can’t helped but be freaked out. Two years, he ignored for two years! Now he’s walking with me to class. Well it doesn’t mean anything I mean he’s not saying much. Actually we’re both quiet. It doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t mean anything. I kept repeating to myself, but a buzz interrupts my thoughts.

A text from Summer, I shield my phone from his view with my binder.

It could be worst. You could have a shitty voice.

He asked to hang out after school. I agreed but what if he doesn’t want me to. Why am I barely thinking of this!?!?!?

Chill girl! If he didn’t want you there, then he wouldn’t have asked in the first place.

We’re walking to homeroom together! And we’re not talking! Why the sudden change!?

Well talk. Don’t over think it, just go with it. :)

With that I bit my lip and turned my head towards him, “So, how was summer break?”

Lame I know but I couldn’t think of anything else. What do you talk to about with someone you haven’t conversed in two years with?

“Not much. You know the usual, spent most of the time in Albert’s pool. You?”

“On my trampoline.”

“Okay?”

“It makes me feel weightless.”

“And how’s that?”

“Amazing” I stated with a dreamy look. “Plus, Sum and I have the best conversations on that thing.”

“Sounds cool.” Then the awkward silence settles. “We had a cannonball contest.” Devin says to break the silence between us.

“Who won?”

“Albert.”

“You know for someone skinny he sure is a fatass.” I state and go on to bit my lip. Nervous habit I picked up in kindergarten.

“Yeah he says it’s the muscle.”

“What muscle!?”

“Exactly what I tell him.” Devin states exasperated.

“Maybe we should let him be, it would break his little heart if we told him otherwise.”

By the time I knew it we were in our homeroom sitting in the back corner near the window, and I realized that I missed talking to him.

I really missed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well it's longer, I just felt inspired to continue on after missfunsized comment.

I hope it's fine. It's probably really boring. Sorry about that. It's the beginning. Slow and steady start.

Comment and Subscribe if you like. :)