Status: finished

Fly Until You Crash

heart's giving into my eyes.

The first week of school went by with no real excitement. There were more complaints from all students as the homework and projects piled on, but the thrill of the upcoming weekend kept most grounded. By the last bell on Friday, the air was buzzing with different plans being made and parties being organized. Addie tried to ignore all the talk so she could focus on the essay she planned to write as soon as she got home. Friday nights were her homework nights. She often got teased by her friends, who spent their Friday nights out drinking and partying, but she loved to just stay home, finish all her work, and sit in bed and read until she was tired enough to sleep.

“You’re not going out tonight, are you?” Slade questioned as the two walked to Addie’s car.

“Nope. One of these days, you’ll save your breath and stop asking,” Addie smiled. “You’re more than welcome to come over later and we can watch a movie or something.”

“Nah, Taylor heard about some sophomore party and we’re gonna go crash it,” Slade informed his friend. Addie shook her head in response, wondering when her friends would grow up. “You still coming to the show tomorrow?”

“Of course! When’s load in? Actually, just text me tomorrow, whenever. We should go get food beforehand,” Addie suggested, receiving a nod in response. The two made idle chit chat until the arrived at Slade’s house. He made one final attempt to invite Addie out that night, but was again shut down. The rest of Addie’s night was spent writing her paper for English, going over AP Bio notes, and finishing her Trig homework. She sat in her room watching TV and movies until one in the morning when she finally clocked out. At eleven the next morning, Addie was awakened by her Something Corporate ringtone, indicating that Shade was trying to get a hold of her.

“What the fuck do you want,” she angrily answered.

“Woah now, you’re the one who told me to callyou when I wanted to hang out. So I’m calling you. I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat,” Slade replied, oblivious to the fact he had woken his best friend up.

“Why are you even awake right now? Did the party plans fall through or something?” Addie said in a calmer tone.

“Yeah, actually, the parents of the girl came home early. We bolted outta there,” Slade said, a bit defeated. Addie laughed and told him to be at her house in a half hour before hanging up. She took a fast shower and was out the door when he arrived. They went, yet again, to IHOP, before returning to Slade’s house to hang until they had to leave for the show. Doors were at six, they had to be there by four to soundcheck and set up. At 3:45, they left to pick up Mike and make it in time to the venue.

“This show’s gonna be sick,” Mike eagerly stated as they started setting up. Slade nodded in agreement while Addie concentrated on folding shirts. She was, once again, put in charge of selling merch.

“Maybe you’ll even get a tip tonight!” Slade laughed, referring to the single, one dollar tip she had gotten at the previous show.

“Whatever. I can’t wait for the party later on,” she said as she continued to fold shirts. Slade gave her a curious look. “What? Just because I concentrate on school during the week doesn’t mean I’m giving up my whole “new” outlook on life. I need at least one day a week to chill.”

“All right! This year won’t suck as mush as I thought it would!” Slade cheered, feeling victorious for turning his friend to the dark side.

“Shut up,” Addie laughed before shoving Slade out of her way. She helped the band set up their equipment on stage; they were first to play that night. At six, she took her place behind the table and helped the three customers she had before the show, smiling as each placed money in her tip box. Slade watched from the stage, laughing at how smug she looked. At 6:30, the band took the stage and played for a half hour. During the third song, Addie caught sight of a guy she’d never seen before, and kept her gaze stuck on him for the rest of the set.

“Do you know who that guy is?” she yelled over the blaring music to Slade as he made his way back to the table when they were done playing. He looked to where her gaze was set, and shook his head no.

“That’s all you have to say? Nothing about how awesome we sound now?” he asked, faking hurt.

“You sound the same as you did at practice on Thursday,” Addie responded, rolling her eyes. “I really wanna know who he is, and if he’s single. I could use a romance to shake up my last year of high school.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think anything will come of this guy? Thanks again for sticking with this, it will be slow for a few chapters after this.

Comment/subscribe! :)