Status: Slowly working on.

You're My Example, Halvo

Like We Used To.

Driving down the long and dark highway at night was something you probably won’t love to be doing alone, but I really had to leave Braintree, with or without Mint - I knew I had leave or I’d be arrested and I would never get to have a job again for the rest of my life, probably. You know how places that are hiring are, they want to do background checks, and any mess-up would throw you out of getting the job. I knew I messed up, and it was illegal for me to feel the way I did about Mint, but I needed a job more than anything in the world right now. I needed money, and I was contemplating on whether to get out of state, or to just go to a few cities over and try to see her sometimes, even if she didn’t know it.

I decided to push my feelings in the deepest depths of my soul, and drive all the way to Austin, Texas. One of my longtime friends from college lived there, and he was in a pretty popular band, so I decided to screw everything and see if he could get me a job, even if it didn’t pay as much as the one I had in Braintree.

At 3 o’clock in the morning, I knocked quietly on the door to Kyle Burn’s small suburban home, his small atomic blue Honda civic was sitting in the front driveway, and that alone signaled that he lived here.

Kyle came to the door moments later, and in total shock ushered me into the living room of his house, “Whoa, Eric. What’s up man?” Kyle asked, his eyes drooping slightly as if he had partied hard all night. Kyle was a tall and skinny peroxide blonde drummer in the band called Forever The Sickest Kids, and while I was going to college in Texas, so was he - we were majoring in the same thing so we decided to live together in the dorms.

“I just thought, I could stay with you for awhile.” I replied quietly and his whole face was covered in a grin with the thought of me living with him again.

“Heck yeah! I told you before we graduated if you ever needed me, to come find me. I can’t believe you still have my address after all this time.” He said, astonishment embedded in his voice.

I smiled, it was the first good thing to happen to me in the past few days.

Weeks passed, and so did months, soon enough Mint was only a figment of my imagination. I was so wrapped up in my own thing to even stop and think about, where was she now? How was she doing? I never had the time to ask that, I was occupied touring with Kyle’s band. Kyle and I soon grew to become best friend’s like we were when we lived in the dorms, and the rest of his band enjoyed seeing me around too. Out of all of them, Kyle and Caleb were probably the two I was closest too.

A year and a half after I had left Braintree, Mint showed up again. Not that I had planned for it to happen, it just did. One night at one of Forever the Sickest Kid’s shows, she appeared at the merch table, and I dropped everything I had. Her hair was cut shorter than it was, and she looked completely different, the only thing that really gave her away was her voice. That beautiful melodic voice asked for my name, and when I told her, her eyes flooded with tears. Since she was the only one at the merch table, I pulled her behind the table just to hold her.

“Eric, it’s really you?” She asked, her eyes were looking ready to produce tears.

“Yes, Mint. Oh, god. How I’ve missed you so.. much.” I whispered as a ran my fingers through her hair, and her arms enclosed around my torso.

“I guess I knew where to meet you.” She laughed softly, but sadness was in her voice.

“How have you been? Where have you been? I’ve been so wrapped up in my own things to even bother to think about you.” I said regretfully.

“Don’t worry, I’ve been too busy to think about you myself.” She replied, a hurt look on her face, “I’m going to college, now. I’m living in Wichita Fall, to go to school at Midwestern State.”

“Can we go get coffee or something after this?” I asked pleading her, I wanted to know what she had been up too, what happened after I left.

“Yeah, sure. It’s been too long, but first I want something.” A mischievous look shone in her eyes.

“What’s that?” I smirked.

“A kiss.”

“Where?” I was like putty in the palm of her hands.

“Right here.” Her index finger lifted itself up to her rosy pink lips and tapped twice.

My heart quickened as I bent down to place a sweet kiss upon her soft warm lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
IT'S BEEN TOO LONG.