Status: Ramblings of a mixed opinion.

Field of Corpses

Fathom

One of my favorite times of the day was before the sun came up; right as it looked like the sky was a shade of gray. I just stared at the sky as we drove fast on the empty road. Christian was asleep, and his dog was on his lap.

I couldn't keep my eyes from wandering over to Christian, then down to his dog. Staring at Billie, I couldn't stop thinking about what Ville had said; I couldn't make any sense of it. I so badly wanted to know what he meant, because to me, the man was a genius. He had one of the most interesting ways of thinking, and he surely had a hard way of living. I could relate in a few ways, so I had always respected the man greatly.

Another thing I couldn't stop thinking about was the pain in my stomach. I had been driving for hours, and the smell of live flesh next to me was mouth watering. I told myself to fight the urge though. It was Christian's dog, and for some reason the dog was one of the few things keeping him alive at the time being. How could I do such a thing to someone I had such a strange connection and attraction to?

The meat in the trunk was getting to me though, too. I could smell it throughout the car, and I had been tempted to pull over and devour the entire bit of it for hours. My hunger was only getting worse now, though, and soon enough fighting the urge not to eat the dog would be too much for me to take.

If I wanted to keep mine and Christian's relationship growing, or whatever it is we had going, then I was going to have to pull over. I didn't wanna see how upset he would get if I ate Billie... and I didn't share.

The car slowed down to a stop, and I got out of the car, not looking over to see if Christian had woken up. I walked back so I was behind the car, and as soon as I opened the trunk, the stench filled the air. I should have thought that maybe other zombies could smell it too, but once again my mind was elsewhere. I was too used to being alone, so I didn't consider that maybe I should watch out for Christian (more so his dog).

He and I would be okay if zombies came, but his damn dog would get in the way. Christian would want to save him, and then he'd probably get chased down again, and maybe I'd have to be the one to save them. Again.

Thinking about it, in a selfish way, I almost wished that dog would get eaten by zombies. Mostly because then I wouldn't be the one who ended up doing so.

This meat was going to hold me over though. I knew once I got into the car and started eating it; it tasted wonderful, and I couldn't help but to grab a few pounds from the trunk. Soon enough, I wasn't going to be so hungry anymore, and I wouldn't have to worry about eating Billie, or Christian getting mad at me for doing so.

As I took another mouth full, I looked over at Christian to see he had waken up. He was watching me eat, and I'm sure he was hungry too. I was just waiting for him to say something. He seemed, to me, to be a little bit quiet. I could tell from the get-go, but I hoped he would have been more talkative. Not just the fact I liked the Half-Dead, but because I hadn't had much company for so long.

It was almost like I would get excited when he's say a single word to me.

Once I looked away from him, I heard him clear his throat, and he leaned a bit forward like he was about to speak. I tried to act like I hadn't noticed, or was looking forward to him talking to me.

"Is there more?"

I looked back over at Christian to answer his question. "Yea- do you... want me to go get you some?"

He looked as if he wanted to say yes, but he didn't say anything. At least not for a few seconds. He sat there as if he had to think about it.

"I can do it..."

"It's okay," I said smiling, and setting my food down, " It's not gunna kill me to be nice."

He gave me a puzzled look, then a playful smile. "But the zombies out there could."

"Pffft! I could take any of them on."

"I don't care," Christian said with his playful smile still on his face, "I don't want you getting stuff for me."

"Why not?" I asked as I urged towards the door-handle.

His playful look turned into a playful-glare, and before I could even grab the handle, his door was open, and he was getting out of the car. I hurried to open my door, then took off towards the back of the car.

As soon as I reached the back, Christian was already there with his hands about to touch the trunk. Before I could even think of what to do, I jumped towards him, and tackled him to the ground. Once I was on top of him, he was struggling to get out from under me, and back to the car. At that moment, we both learned I was stronger, and I was able to pin him down and keep him there. He couldn't get up, and I had no intentions of letting him.

"You're laughing." Christian pointed out. I hadn't even realized I was.

"How do you know I'm not faking it?"

"Because I've been pretending to be happy for so long, I'm pretty sure I can tell when someone else is."

He had a point, and he was right. I was laughing, and I wasn't pretending to. For some reason, I had fun with him, and he actually made me happy. It was so weird at the time, but I knew that I had to start getting over that; I was going to have to get used to be being happy, especially if I was wanting to be with Christian.

...Was I?

"Fine. I was laughing. I can't help it-"

Before I could even recognize what he was doing, our lips were together, once more, and Christian had once again, gave me a feeling I hadn't felt in so long. While he was kissing me, butterflies were moshing around in my stomach.

Once we had stopped, and got back onto our feet, we realized we couldn't have gotten into the trunk in the first place; we didn't have the keys to open the thing, and I didn't pop it open before I got out.

Christian started laughing to himself, and I went to pop the trunk. Everything seemed to be just fine, until I got back to the car.

I looked in through the still-open-door, and realized Billie wasn't in the car. I had an instant mini-panic-attack, but I wasn't sure what to do. I could've ruined mine and Christian's fun by informing him, or I could act as if nothing, and deal with Christian freaking out later. I knew what I should've done though, even if I wanted to ignore everything besides Christian.

I turned towards the back of the car slowly, and stared at him as I thought of what to say. I had no idea how I was going to tell him, but he quickly caught on that something was wrong when I stopped smiling.

"What?" He asked.

Before I could even start trying to tell him, I looked up the road and found Billie. Right away I started running towards the direction I saw him. I could only hope that he wasn't dead, or bit.

I reached the point where I got close enough to see that the dog was okay. The zombies surrounding him were still grabbing at him, but he was managing to keep away from them. I knew I had to save him though. I couldn't fathom losing my best friend like Christian would if I couldn't get Billie away in time.

The only thing I could think of doing was to bring down a zombie, rip off one of his limbs, and beat the others with it.

As I took down the first zombie I made contact with,when I lunged into the small group of zombies, I did just that. It took longer than I thought, but I managed to end the zombie and pull off one of his legs.

I ran as fast as I could to the rest, and saw one with his hand around Billie's leg. He was slowly pulling him towards him, and Billie couldn't pull away. That zombie was the first one I started beating.

Rapidly, I started hitting the zombie with the corpse's leg, which wasn't enough to kill off the zombie, but just enough to bring it down.

As soon as the zombie hit ground, I started tearing it up, making it hard for it to ever move again. Before long, I had done this to every zombie that was left chasing Billie.

I was surprised that the dog managed to get away without even being bit. Those zombies were hungry enough to be fast enough, but somehow Billie was still ahead of them. I was still glad he did though, for Christian's sake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken me so long!