Whoever She Is

Ten

Riley

I bit my lip as Isabelle and Garrett vacated the couch, leaving me the sole person on the couch. Jared and John were still chatting away about Cabbage Patch Kids, leaving me and Pat in a very awkward silence. I would glance up at him to see him looking at me and we'd both look away and glance back at one another.

"D-do..." Pat started, making me look back up at him. He gulped, rubbing his face. "Do you want to...go for a walk?" he asked, his voice cracking on the last word. I bit my lip, looking down at my fingers as they fidgeted.

"Sure," I mumbled. I stood up, looking over at John and Jared and then at Kennedy, who was on the phone with someone. Pat stood up, biting his lip as he nodded towards a direction that wasn't the direction Isabelle and Garrett went. I nodded back at him, letting him lead the way. I followed a couple steps behind Pat, taking in some of the house as I went. He lead the way out to the back porch, which looked as it wrapped around to the front and maybe I just missed that before.

Pat sat down on on the banister, looking at me for a moment before looking down at the ground. I stepped passed him, sitting down on the swing bench thingy, swinging back and forth slowly.

"I..I..." he started, sighing. "I'm sorry." I bit my lip, tilting my head at him.

"Why would you be sorry?" I asked quietly. My voice always seemed to disappear in awkward situations. This was pretty much the most awkward situation I've ever been in. In high school, he had acted so weird around me, and I just assumed that was what he was like but now it was just...I don't even know.

"I don't know, to be honest with you. Just seemed like the right thing to say," he sighed. He shrugged, sliding over closer to me on the swing.

"I guess," I mumbled, biting my lip. What was supposed to say right now? I glanced at him, blinking a couple times because I really had no idea what else to do.

"Well," he said. "I guess there's only really one other thing to say," he mumbled, his voice getting quieter by the syllable.

"What?" I asked, tilting my head, fearing the worst of the worst right now. Whatever that was.

"Would you maybe...want to go out with me sometime?"