Whoever She Is

Twelve

Riley

I stood in front of my mirror, shaking my head over and over again. I can't believe I was actually doing this right now. I was letting Isabelle dress me up like a barbie doll. For my date. My date with Pat.

"You two are so cute together," she informed for the ten thousandth time, giving my shirt one final tug before nodding happily. "And you look so cute right now," she added, stepping aside to let me see what I looked like in the mirror. I took a moment to look at myself before offering her a small smile.

"I still can't believe I said yes," I sighed, turning away from the mirror to look for things I'd need for tonight.

"I'm glad you did," she replied, parking herself on my bed. "You two..." she started.

"Are so cute together," I finished, waving my hand. "I know, I know. This is going to be so freaking awkward though," I added. "I mean, he and I can barely talk to one another." I shook my head, grabbing my phone off of my nightstand.

"Well, if he had the guts to ask you out, he might be getting a little more confident," Isabelle pointed out. "So, I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, you guys are probably just going to a movie or something. There isn't much talking going on there anyway."

"This is true," I sighed, going over to my closet to grab a pair of shoes. "What do you have planned for tonight?" I asked, glancing back at her.

"Garrett's coming over," she said simply. I 'ooooo'ed, turning around fully to raise my eyebrows at her.

"You liiike him," I said, acting like a stupid little kid. She made a face, shaking her head.

"I do not!" she exclaimed. She sighed. "Maybe...I do?" she offered. I giggled, looking back at the pile of shoes in my closet, grabbing a pair of flats.

"You two would be cute together," I teased.

"Shut up," she sighed, laying back in my bed.

"You would though," I said seriously, sliding my flats on. "And I've seen the way he looks at you." She sat up, giving me a look.

"What are you talking about, Riley?" she asked. "He hasn't been looking at me any differently than he's been looking at you!" I snorted, rolling my eyes.

"Not that you've seen," I cooed. "But he does seem to like you, from what I can tell." She shook her head, laying back down.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," she grumbled. I shook my head, crossing the room to my desk, shoving a twenty and some chap stick into my pocket.

"Whatever you say, Belle," I sighed. "Whatever you say."

The doorbell rang, which could only mean one thing. I bit my lip, watching Isabelle jump up off of my bed and go out of my room to go answer the door. I shook my head, still can't believing I was about to go out on a date with the kid who had apparently had a crush on me since the eight grade. I ruffled my hair out of habit before giving myself a smile in the mirror. I headed out of my room, shutting the door behind me and down the stairs.