Status: Complete and edited

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

01

August…
I was back in Virginia and I was now moved into my dorm. Summer was now over and I had to get back into the mentality of school. On my first day in my dorm, I walked in and noticed that there were Washington Capitals posters on one half of the room. I groaned internally and my dad chuckled.

“Of course I would be housed with a Caps fan.” I said

“Oh you’ll get along with her.” My mom said.

My family stayed for a little while and helped me move in. After all my things were out of the car, they left me to unpack. The first box I opened was the box that I knew had all my Penguins stuff in. The first thing I unpacked was the picture that Sidney got me for my birthday and put it on my nightstand next to my bed. The next thing that I pulled out was the poster that I got from Anna. As I was hanging it up over my desk, the door opened and a tall blond walked in.

“Holy shit!” she exclaimed, covering her mouth. Her outburst scared me and I jumped, just missing my finger with the thumbtack. “Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I forgot that you were coming today.” She said walking over to me. “It’s Taylor right?”

“Yes. You’re Kelsey I’m guessing.”

“Yep!” She looked over my shoulder and chuckled. “You’re a Penguins fan.” She stated.

“Yep and I see you’re a Caps fan.” I tired not to show my disgust, which was easy since my two best friends were fans.

“Yeah, I’m actually a season ticket holder. We should go to a game together.”

“Ohmygosh. That would be amazing.”

Kelsey helped me unpack the rest of my things and we talked the entire time. I could tell that we were going to get along well. We talked about our families and friends, and I told her about the guys without saying there names. Eventually I would tell her that I actually was friends with most of the Penguins team, but not the first time I’ve met her. I also didn’t want to explain how I knew them, even though I so wanted to tell her about my amazing boyfriend whom I missed very much.

When we got back to the dorm I changed into a pair of softball shorts and one of Sidney’s shirts that I claimed over the summer. I sat on my bed and reached for my phone and dialed his familiar number.

“Hey, babe.” He said, answering

“Hey, how are you?” I asked

“I’m okay, I miss you though. This place feels so empty without you.”

“I miss you too. So guess what.”

“What?”

“I met Kelsey and she’s just like me.” I giggled

“Oh God, not two of you,” He laughed

“Hey! You know you love me.”

“You’re right I do. So how’s college life?”

“So far so good. I got all my books today and explored the campus some. I only have a morning class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have an afternoon class and so does Kelsey.”

“I bet you’re liking that.” He chuckled remembering how I’d fight him most mornings.

“Oh you know it!” I laughed. “So how did your birthday go?” I haven’t really spoken to Sidney since I left Pittsburgh. I left the week before his birthday and wasn’t able to celebrate it with him. He was going back to Cole Harbour to spend it with his family since he didn’t get to spend much time with them since we only went for a week.

I sighed, remembering that trip. We had been in Pittsburgh for about a month and we decided to go up to visit his family. Of course I was scared to meet his parents, but Sidney reassured me that they were going to love me.The entire flight I held his hand and had him tell me about his family. He had a younger sister named none other than, Taylor, but I already knew that. I knew who his family is, but I wanted to really get to know about them…

“Taylor? You still there?” Sidney’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Huh, yeah I’m here. I was just remembering our trip to your parents’. Sorry. So tell me about your birthday again.” He chuckled.

He told me that he went home and his family and friends threw him a party. Marc and Vero showed up to celebrate with him and they were wondering where I was. I smiled because I was surprised of the strength of the relationship that I have built with Sidney’s friends and teammates in the past five months.

“Tay, I’m gunna go because Jordan is back in town and he wants to hang out.” Sidney said.

“Oh okay.” I said sadly. I haven’t talked to him in almost a month and I really wanted to talk to him. Especially since classes start this week and I’m going to be busy. “Tell Jordan I said hi.”

“I will. I love you Taylor.”

“I love you too Sidney. I’ll talk to you soon okay? I’m not sure when though because classes start later this week.”

Sidney sighed. “I know and summer camp starts soon.” He sighed again

“Sid, let’s not do this right now. We can work through this. I know we got to spend a lot of time together over the summer, but we can do this.” I sighed. I felt like I was lying to him because I wasn’t so sure this was going to work. My classes were starting and Sidney’s season was starting really soon. We won’t have a lot of time to talk to each other.

“I know Taylor. Jord, is here so I have to go. I love you.” He said

“Go have fun. I love you too.” I shut my phone and curled into a ball. I seriously had no idea if this was going to work. I laid in my bed, hoping that we would be able to work through the distance and schedules.

****
Sidney sat there looking at his phone. Did they really just have that conversation about their relationship not working? They have to work, he was in love with her and didn’t want to lose her. He heard Jordan knock on the door and Sidney got up slowly to open it.

“Hey Sidney. How was you summer?” Jordan asked

“Amazing. Taylor and I got to learn so much about each other. We went up to Cole Harbour for a week too.” He smiled remembering the trip.

She was so nervous the entire flight, she wouldn’t let go of his hand. She had him tell her about his family. He told her how much his dad loved that he was playing hickey professionally. He told her how proud of Taylor he was. He told her how much he missed his mom. Sidney also told her how much everyone was going to love her. When they got off the plane, he spotted his father standing by baggage claim. Taylor must’ve spotted him too because she tensed and he could feel her trembling slightly.

“It will be okay.” He whispered.

She nodded slightly and took a deep breath. Sidney released her hand to give his dad a hug and then introduced him to Taylor. Sidney let out a sigh of relief when he saw the smile that his father shot him over her shoulder, he liked her. Sidney wasn’t worried anymore, Taylor had gotten approval from his dad, that was the hardest part. He already knew that his mom and sister were going to love her. His dad grabbed their bags and led them to the car. Taylor was nervous again, he could tell. He grabbed her hand and pulled her into his side, kissing her temple.

“Relax, everything is going to be okay. She’ll love you.” He said...

“Yo Sid!” Jordan yelled, slapping Sidney on the shoulder.

“Sorry. Just thinking.” Sidney said

“About Taylor?”

Sidney smiled slightly and nodded

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing really. Tay and I were just talking a little while ago.”

“About what? You look like you were fighting.”

“No we’re not fighting. We are just worried about making it through this.” He sighed,

“Through what? School?” Jordan asked

“Yeah, and season. We aren’t going to have a lot of time to talk to each other or even see each other. Jord, I don’t want to lose her.”

“Sidney, you’re not going to lose her. You two are perfect for each other. Plus you both love each other, it’s obvious.”

“I know, I guess we just need to see how things go.”

“Yeah.” Jordan stood up. “Now let’s go to the bar and get some drinks and play pool.”

Sidney nodded and grabbed his jacket and keys. He needed to have some fun right now. He was so hung up on missing Taylor. He sent her a text telling her to have a good night and that he loved her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited