Status: Complete :')

I Don't Like This Ending

Chapter 11

This was it. I smoothed my hair done and looked down to make sure I had worn pants. I smelled the flowers one last time to make sure they hadn’t lost their fragrance and pushed the ward doors open.

I had come during visiting hours again. All the children in their rooms with their parents.

I planned through my head how I was going to tell her.

“I LOVE YOU CASSIE!”

“Cassie, you’re the one.”

“I know we hardly know each other but I love you, do you love me?”


I shook my head, agreeing to just let it flow.

I walked through the quite corridors, almost near Cassie’s door.

“Nick?” I heard a voice say.

I turned around to see the same nurse that had comforted Cassie before I left. The nurse was holding a tissue in her hand and dabbed at her eye.

“Yes?” I asked politely, but slowly edging towards the door.

“Can you please come with me for a moment please,” she ordered, rather than asked.

“Sure,” I sighed, exasperated.

She led me to a room which was mint green in colour. It had two comfortable looking sofas and a round table in the middle.

“Sit down, Nick,” she ordered once again.

I sat down, knowing immediately that something was wrong.

“What’s happened?” I whispered.

“It’s Cassie.” She replied, softly. “I’m afraid in the early hours on the 1st October she passed away.”

“Wh-“ I asked, becoming incoherent.

“Her organs simply failed on her. She gave up the fight,” She replied.

She got up and sat next to me. Taking my hand she passed me a box of tissues.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

I stared blankly at the wall whilst the nurse muttered reassurances to me. I didn’t know why I wasn’t crying. Possibly shock?

My mind was whirling in thoughts. October 1st? The day after I had left her. The day Miley and I met again. She was gone? My brave, fighter Cassie.

“She left something for you, Nick. Quite a few items actually.”

She passed me a small parcel and got up to leave.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her back down next to me.

“Tell me, please,” I added, hoping she would understand what I wanted to know.

“It was a painless end, Nick. She was asleep when it happened. Breathing lightly, holding a photo of you and her in her hand. Her breaths shallowed and she took her final breath at 2:22am. She had a smile on her face, her face peaceful and content. Content with thoughts of you.” She got up and left again. This time I followed after her.

“Can I see her, please?”

She nodded. “If you can just wait a moment please.”

It was then when Kevin walked in.

He walked up to me and pulled me to him, tears erupting from his eyes. I remained motionless, my entire body stiff.

The nurse returned and with a sad smile motioned for me to follow her.

Kevin pulled away from me and sat down, while I braced myself to see my love for the final time.