Status: Complete :')

I Don't Like This Ending

Chapter 8

Cassie soon grew tired so we decided to take a rest in the hospital lounge whilst the children continued their visits with their parents.

“I’m telling you drums are the best instrument ever!” I confirmed.

“Nah-ah. Guitar has got to be it, guitar can give you feeling,” She denied.

“And drums give you a beat!” I almost shouted.

Cassie shut up and looked at me, before breaking out in a fit of giggles.

“Okay, Nick. Chill. It’s just an instrument,” I wanted to argue back, telling her that instruments is what my career is all about; but I couldn’t do it.

We sat in silence for a while, a comfortable one, before I realised the time.

I sat up and Cassie looked at me. “I need to go,” I told her, a frown etched on my face.

I thought I saw something change in her eyes as she got up to walk me to the ward door.

“I had a good time today, Nick,” she told me quietly.

“Me too. You really are one-of-a-kind, Cassie.”

She smirked. “Is that a compliment?”

I stepped towards her and she took a step back, so she was trapped between me and the wall.

I raised my hand and pulled a bit of hair out of her face. “Yes, it’s a compliment,” I murmured.

I heard Cassie give an audible gulp as she looked up at me between her long, black lashes.
I slowly bent my face to hers; gauging her reaction. She paused for a minute, before leaning forward, closing the gap between our lips. When my lips touched hers I felt a pull, an undesirable need to be with her. To hold her and love her.

I applied more force into the kiss which she returned, bringing her hands up, tangling them in my hair. I brought my hands to her waist, feeling how incredibly fragile she was and the bones protruding through her skin.

All too soon I pulled away. Gasping I leant my head on top of Cassies, kissing her forehead.

“I don’t want you to go,” she murmured against my shirt.

“I don’t want to go. But I have to, but I’ll be back tomorrow, I promise.” I told her.

I kissed her forehead again, before moving away to the door.

I took one last look at her to see her leaning forward, her eyes peacefully closed, almost like I was still there. The door closed behind me, yet I continued to look through the panel of glass. She didn’t look that way, yet when I saw her open her eyes, tears were streaming down her face. A nurse held her hands out for Cassie, and she slowly moved towards the embrace.