Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 1: South Carolina

Addy's POV

I stepped off the plane and headed for baggage claim, where my cousin and her fiancée were supposed to be picking me up. I picked up my luggage from the conveyor belt and sat the bags on the floor as my eyes scanned the crowd for my cousin’s familiar face. When I couldn’t find her, I walked over to some seats and pulled out my cell phone, dialing her number as I sat down. “Hello?” she asked into the phone as she picked up. “Hey Mel. I’m waiting in baggage claim. Where are you?” I asked. “Oh, hey Addy. Zach and I will be there in two minutes. Did you have a good flight?” she asked. “Alright and yeah, the flight was okay; I slept for the most part.” I replied. “Okay, well I’ll see you in a couple of minutes. Love you!” she said. “Love you too.” I replied before hanging up the phone.

I put my phone away and began to look around my surroundings. My eyes stopped on a young woman, maybe a year or so older than me. She was beautiful and her eyes seemed to be looking for someone. When she found who she was looking for, her eyes widened and she smiled. She then started to run towards a young man, maybe a year older than her, who dropped his bags to the ground and held his arms open as she jumped into them. They shared a passionate kiss and that’s when I looked away. I sighed at how in love the couple seemed. I had something like that once, not too long ago actually. But let’s not go there. I then took out my phone and started playing a game when I heard a familiar voice. “Addy?” she asked. I looked up and smiled.

“Hey Mel.” I replied. She smiled and pulled me into a hug. “You look great Cousin.” She said as she looked over me. I laughed. “Thanks Mel, now are you gonna introduce me to this handsome man standing behind you or what?” I asked, raising my eyebrow at her. She blushed. “Zach, this is my cousin and maid of honor, Addison.” She said to the man with curly hair behind her. “Addy, this is Zachary my fiancée.” She added with a tiny glint in her eye. I stretched my hand out to him. “It’s nice to finally meet you.” I said as he shook my hand. He smiled. “The pleasure is all mine. Mel never stops talking about you.” He replied, grabbing my bags after releasing my hand. “You don’t have to carry those, I got it.” I said to him. He laughed. “When you’re with a Spencer, you are treated like a lady. My mom taught that to me and my three younger brothers since we don’t have sisters. So, it’s fine. Don’t worry about the bags.” He replied. I smirked and grabbed two of the smaller bags. “I’ll carry these ones. Thank you Zach.” I said with a smile as Melissa led me to the car, Zach following with my two larger bags.

Once we had my bags in the car, I slid into the backseat while Melissa sat up front with Zach. Zach started to drive away from the airport and Mel turned around. “How are you Addy?” she asked, concern washing over her face. I looked back at her and tried my best to smile. “I’m fine Mel.” I replied. She sighed. “Addison, please don’t lie to me.” She said, turning fully in her seat. “Mel, I said I’m fine; can was just leave it alone? I really don’t want to talk about it right now.” I answer as I turn my head to look out the window. Mel sighed and faced front again as Zach took her hand in his as he drove with one hand. I felt a small tear fall down my cheek as I began to think about the reason I had arrived in South Carolina two months early for my cousin’s wedding. I fall asleep with my head against the window, thinking of what had ruined my life and my heart.