‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 12

-------------------
Izzy
-------------------

We sat in the Penthouse around the dining room table going over the night that Marco showed up at the casino and wreaked havoc once again. Present was Shadows, The Rev, Christ, Gates and myself. We’d been going over everything for the longest time, but with me being the only actual person at the table who was there for the “main event”, there really wasn’t much to go on. All I could tell them was what I saw and it wasn’t much, my back was facing the door. I never saw Marco walk in and aim his gun. I’d only turned around after Sammy had already been shot.

Every time I spoke, The Rev shot me nasty looks. The man hardly said a word to me since the day I got here and it was really beginning to get on my nerves. It was now that we’d all reached the worst part of the conversation and things between The Rev and I were about to get worse.

“What should we do?” Gates started it off and everyone knew we had to make the decision, but no one wanted to be the one to do it.

“No one claimed Sammy’s body, and we can’t leave her in the morgue. She deserves a proper service.” Shadows said.

Gates nodded, but didn’t seem too happy. “I don’t think it’s fair to Vengeance if we have a service for Sammy without him.”

He was right, it wouldn’t be fair, but the whole situation wasn’t fair. My eyes reached Shadows and I said my two cents worth. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be before he wakes up and the morgue isn’t going to keep her forever. We have to at least burry her, we can have a service for her when he comes home.”

Shadows, Gates and Christ all agreed, but The Rev……

He was angry and it showed. He pushed back from the table and stood up. When he stood the chair he was sitting in, fell backwards. Every one watched as he got up and walked out of the room without so much as a word to any of us.

“What is his problem?” I didn’t mean for it to come out as nasty as it did, but I couldn’t help myself. Shadows looked at me and so did Gates and Christ and they all had the same expression on their face. It was as if they were all silently saying. “are you really asking that fucking question?”

Christ was the one who actually spoke up. “Vengeance is hanging on by a thread, what do you think his problem is?” I really wasn’t expecting him to say that to me and neither Gates nor Shadows tried to help me out of the sticky situation that I just put myself in.

“I think I’m going to go downstairs and have a cigarette” The room continued to stay silent as I made my way out of the dining room and down to the elevator. I wasn’t really going out to smoke; I was going to find The Rev. Once and for all, I was going to make him tell me why he was such a prick to me.

When I finally reached the main floor, I stood in front of the elevator scanning the room for any sign of the lanky figure. I spotted him standing outside in front of the entrance door smoking. Perfect, I could smoke and confront him. Kill two birds with one stone.

Walking towards the front door I saw him move off to the side and I hoped he hadn’t left. I really wanted to get this over with. As I walked through the door I saw him sitting off to the left on one of the benches. After lighting a cigarette of my own, I walked over and sat down beside him.

“Seat’s taken” he said.

“Yeah” I nodded. “By me, so get over it”

“Grow up” really? Did he think I was a five year old?
“Is that the best you got? Why don’t you just tell me what the fuck your problem is?”

His head quickly snapped in my direction and he threw his cigarette on the ground.

“Do you really want me to answer that question, Izzy?” the way he looked at me was like he was daring me to say yes. I think he could quite possibly be scarier than Shadows.

“Yes” I nodded.

He shook his head and pulled another cigarette out of his pack. Putting it to his lips, he then pulled out a lighter and lit it. After the first drag, he blew smoke right in my face.

“You asked for it” he warned. “My fucking problem is you and only you.”

“What did I do to you?” I asked him trying really hard not to get angrier.

“You started all of this.” He pointed his finger at me to make the statement.

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

He leaned his head back and laughed. “The cute innocent act may work on Shadows, but not me, Izzy. Everything was heading back to normal. He was finally starting to move on and putting Kiera behind him. Then YOU stole his car.”

Oh my God! Is this really about the car? I threw my hands up in the air in frustration as he glared at me. “So, you have an attitude with me because I stole a car?”

He exhaled the smoke from his mouth and shook his head. “You could only wish it was that simple. You stole his fucking car and then you walk in to his life like you have a right to be in it. I know your type, I’ve seen girls like you come and go. You’re going to break his heart and we’ll be the ones that are left cleaning up the mess you leave behind.”

My jaw must have dropped because he looked at me like I had no right to be surprised at what he said. “and that isn’t even the half of it, Izzy. You have Gates wrapped around your fucking finger and it’s kind of sick if you ask me.”

“Well I didn’t ask you” I shot back.

Something in him just snapped and he grabbed my arm roughly and yanked me forward.
“I’m not finished. You’re nothing but trouble. Because of you, Marco came back into the casino with every intention of taking out Shadows. Because of you, I have had to watch him re-live everything that he had with Kiera and the pain that followed and because of you, we had to be the ones to watch him suffer when he found out about the baby.”

I tried to pull my arm out of his grip before the tears started to fall. I really didn’t want to seem weak in front of him right now, but he wouldn’t let go.

“Oh no, you are going to hear all of this. You asked for it. Now, back to my little recanting of the nightmare you caused. YOU stole his car AGAIN and might I add you wrecked it. Then we had to pick up the pieces because once again he was distraught over you! You never should have come back, but you fucking did and because you did, Ruby is sitting in a hospital bed with a gunshot wound, Vengeance is dying and Sammy is dead.
Do you get it now, Izzy? Marco didn’t kill Sammy, You did and if you didn’t come back, Sammy would still be alive and Vengeance would be sitting in the lounge right now. Who walked away unscathed? YOU.”


He shoved me away from him and stood up. “So, thanks a lot you selfish little bitch. You better just hope that Vengeance lives, because if you think this is me being mean to you then you are in for a rude awakening”

I didn’t know what to do or say when he left me sitting there alone. Everything he said hit me like a ton of bricks and I found myself unable to control my breathing. The sobs came heavily and I couldn’t seem to control them either. How could I not see any of this? Everything that happened had one common element and that was me.

When I was finally able to stand up I ran in through the door and started for the elevator. My finger pounded on the button, but it didn’t seem to make the doors open any faster. Finally the door opened and I pushed my way inside past Shadows and Gates who were stepping off.

“Izzy?” Shadows stood in the doorway of the elevator and wouldn’t let it close.

“Leave me alone” I shouted and the uncontrollable sobs started all over again.

“What happened?” he stepped on to the elevator and Gates stepped in between the door to keep it from closing.

“Just go away. Leave me alone” I shouted again and he looked at me confused. “Get out!” I yelled and he finally stepped off the elevator with Gates following behind. Before the door closed, I could see him standing there looking at me with a pained expression on his face.

I went up to the penthouse thinking I would be able to get in, grab a bag and get out, but of course it wouldn’t be that easy. I smacked right into Christ and fell backwards on to the floor. He helped me up and I didn’t even thank him, I just ran past him in to the bedroom.

“Izzy!” he called after me and I heard him following behind.

“Go away!” I cried, but he just stood there in the doorway.

“Why are you crying?”

I tried to hold it all in, but I couldn’t anymore. “I didn’t mean it ok?” I shouted.

“Didn’t mean what?” he walked closer and I pulled my bag from the closet and started shoving a few of my things inside. “What happened?”

“I didn’t know he was going to come back and kill Sammy, I didn’t want her to die. I didn’t want Vengeance and Ruby to get hurt either and I’m sorry it wasn’t me instead!”

“Ok Whoa!” he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me over to the bed and made me sit down. “No one is blaming you for this.”

“Really, Why don’t you go talk to The Rev!”

“What did he say?”

I went on to explain to him what happened downstairs with The Rev and the conversation that we had. I told him of how he grabbed my arm and threw all of this in my face. When I was finished Christ just shook his head.

“He’s just upset about Vengeance, Izzy. I bet he didn’t mean it”

Grabbing my bag, I stood up from the bed and looked down at Christ. “He meant every word!” I didn’t give him another chance to speak. I just took my bag and walked out the door.

“Izzy, don’t do this” he yelled after me and instead of taking the elevator, I took the stairs so he couldn’t catch up with me.

I ran down the stairs like I was running for my life. It took forever, but I finally reached the bottom and pushed through the exit door. I hurried down the long hall hoping not to run in to anyone else. When I reached the main room, I saw Christ heading over to the Black Jack table where Gates and Shadows were seated. They both looked at me as I made my way to the door. I just wanted to get out of there as fast as I possibly could.
Once outside, I hopped in a cab and took off.


---------------------
Christ
---------------------

No way in hell was I dumb enough to keep what just happened to myself. Shadows would kill me. So, as soon as I spotted him, I walked right over to the table.

“Have you talked to Izzy?” I asked hoping that they already knew why she was upset so I wouldn’t have to be the one to make him kill The Rev.

“She wouldn’t talk to us” Gates and Shadows turned their heads just in time to see her run out the door.

“Well she talked to me” I pulled up a chair and sat down and Shadows kindly asked the dealer to walk away.

“What did she say?” he asked

“She had a little confrontation with The Rev”

Gates sat back in his chair and looked at me with that fucking smirk "AND?"

“AND” I said mocking him. “He told her that ever since she came here, things have gotten worse and it’s all her fault. He also blamed her for Vengeance’s condition and Sammy’s death. He told her that no one would have been hurt if she hadn’t come here.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Shadows roared. Not yelled. Fucking roared!

“No, he said that you were just getting over Kiera and that Izzy was going to break your heart and leave everyone else to pick up the pieces. He told her that she was nothing but trouble.”

“What else?” Shadows asked clearly beyond pissed.

I turned my gaze to Gates this time. “Said she had you wrapped around her finger”

“So what if she does?” he asked annoyed.

I held up my hands in protest. “Hey! I’m just the fucking messenger. That’s pretty much all she told me other then the fact that he grabbed her arm and shoved her”

That did it. The two of them stood up at the same time and looked like they were ready to pounce on me. “HE WHAT?” they both yelled at the same time.

“W-wh- um. D-d do you want me to repeat myself or was that like just for effect?”

Shadows was about to answer, but his phone rang. After looking down at the caller ID he answered. I stood there with Gates and we both watched as he slowly calmed down and hung up the phone.

“I know where she is, I’ll be back later.”

He walked away and headed right out the door. I had no idea who was on the phone, but one thing was for sure, when he came back he would be bringing her with him and then all hell was going to break loose.


-------------------
Shadows
-------------------

My hands were gripped tightly on the steering wheel as I drove. I wanted to punch something or someone I should say. I drove as fast as I could hoping Izzy would still be there because honestly, if she left before I got there, I wouldn’t even begin to know where to look for her.

I shouldn’t have let it get this far with The Rev. We all saw the way he treated her and I should have called him on it long before this happened. I finally reached my destination and parked the car.

I walked right in to the building and headed straight for the elevator. I got a few odd glances from people, but I think by the look on my face, they knew not to fuck with me. Walking off the elevator I turned and walked down the hall as fast as I could until I got to the room.

There she was. Izzy was lying on the bed next to Vengeance with her head on his chest crying hysterically. “Please wake up” she kept saying over and over again through sobs.

I hate this. I hate that he is lying there helpless and I hate that she is crying and blaming herself. The only person to blame was Marco and that fucker would pay in time. Slowly, I walked over to the bed and bent down. I put my hand on her back, but she didn’t move. His nurse had called and told me that they couldn’t get her to leave and that she just kept saying she was sorry.

“Izzy?”

“I’m sorry,” she cried and in that moment I wanted to punch The Rev in to next year. I moved my hand from her back and lifted her up off of Vengeance and in to my arms. There was a chair in the corner that I carried her over to and sat down in.

She had her arms wrapped around my neck and her face hidden in my shoulders while she continued to sob. “Izzy, it’s not your fault” it was no use I couldn’t soothe her no matter what I said.

“I’m sorry,” she said again and I just held her there and let her cry. It was a little longer before she calmed down and lifted her face from my shoulder.

With wet eyes she looked at me and her face was filled with pain and sorrow. So I pulled out my trump card. “I love you,” I told her and she hugged me as tight as she possibly could. Worked like a charm. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her head while hugging her back.

“Sammy”

Izzy looked up at me and we both looked over at Vengeance. His eyes were still closed and he still looked the same as he did when I got here. There was no change other then the fact that he had just whispered Sammy’s name.