‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 15

---------------------
Gates
---------------------

No more Mr. Nice Guy. I tried and I gave her time, two weeks even, but no more. I wasn’t going to let Ruby’s life fly by while she lay alone in bed. This was it, when I walk into that bedroom, she better be dressed and ready or I will personally put her clothes on for her myself.

Before walking into her room, I straightened out my shirt and did a quick once over in the hall mirror. Yeah, I’m high maintenance. So what!

Here’ goes nothing. I knocked before opening the door and walking inside. It was MY bedroom, what did I need to knock for? Ruby was sitting on the edge of the bed with her legs hanging off the side. She wore a black sundress with red heels and her hair hung down in loose curls.

“Hmmm a sad face wasn’t part of the plan. How about you put on a smile before we go?”

“No” she pouted and looked at me like she wanted to slap me.

Well, I’m not in the mood for prissy and she is going to have to snap out of it quickly. I gabbed her hand and pulled her gently. “Come on, funsucker”

I took her down to the casino and forced her to return to the bar where the shooting took place. Maybe that was a little cruel of me, but she needed to know she was safe and this was the only way I could make her understand. I didn’t keep her there too long, I had something special in store for her and it was just about time for the reveal.

“I feel like cards, lets go play black jack”

“No.” She glared at me and like I said, I wasn’t in the mood.

I took the drink out of her hand and set it down on the bar. “I wasn’t asking.” I smiled and took her by the hand and dragged her over to a black jack table. It was empty, just the way I planned for it to be. There were four chairs at the table and no dealer.

“Sit down” I pulled a chair out for her and she took her seat while I walked around to the other side of the table. I was going to deal this game and she was in for the shock of her life. We played two hands and I let her win them both.

“This is boring.” she sighed.

“Maybe we just need a few more players.” she shrugged and never looked up at me. She never saw me waive our guests over, nor did she bother to look when they occupied the three empty seats.

The man sitting to her left called a waitress over and ordered drinks. While the waitress stood there he turned sideways to face Ruby. “Care for a drink, darlin’?”

She smiled politely and glanced at the stranger. “No thanks” she said before looking away…

3…

2…

1…

Her head snapped back in his direction and he was sitting there smiling at her.
“You!…You’re…you” she looked at me and pointed at him “He’s! he…Oh my God!” her hand covered her mouth and she was star struck. It was truly adorable how she looked like she was about to pass out and cry at the same time.

“Hello, I’m Patrick.” He laughed lightly and held out his hand for her to take. When she shook his hand, the man on the other side of her tapped her on the shoulder.
She turned to look at him and her jaw nearly hit the floor. “Hey, I’m Matt. It’s nice to meet you, Ruby” he smiled at her and I swear for the first time since we met, I was truly jealous. She looked at Matt like he was dinner. “And, I’m Tom!” came from the man on the other side of Patrick.

When she looked at me her eyes were glassing over, but no so much so that she would cry. “You did this, didn’t you?”

“Guilty” I nodded. It took calling in every favor and pulling a ton of strings to make it possible for Ruby to play black jack with Ponyboy, Darrel and Dallas from “The Outsiders,” but it was so worth the look on her face. Not to mention the fact that she was sitting between Matt Dillon and Patrick Swayze.

I’m still better looking than they are, damn it!

They couldn’t stay long, only for an hour, but it seemed to be the best hour of Ruby’s entire life. The smile never left her face. Just before the three men left they gave her a framed version of the poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay” that all three had signed just for her.

“Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down today.
Nothing gold can stay.”

Tom had added a personal touch to his signature. Under the poem he wrote: “Stay Gold, Ruby. – Love Ponyboy."

At the end of the night when we went back up to our floor, it was like she was walking on cloud nine. She stood in the living room and kicked off her shoes. When she turned around to look at me, I stood there with my arms folded and gave her a know it all glance.

“You are a sneaky little fucker.” She said as she pointed a finger in my direction.

I nodded and walked over to where she stood. “That may be true, but I think my efforts deserve a little bit of a thank you.” I turned my face to the side and pointed to my cheek. She laughed at me and put her arms around my neck while standing tip toed. I turned my face back to her just as she caught my lips with her own. I wanted her in the worst way and when she deepened the kiss, I wrapped my arms tightly around her waist and kissed her back.

It wasn’t easy to control myself when her hand caressed my cheek as she kissed me, but I was good and kept my arms wrapped around her waist. Now, when she slid her hand down to the front of my shirt and started to open the buttons… that was a different story. I understand that this was how she was used to doing things, but it wasn’t going to be this easy for her. Oh no, I can play hard to get.

I grabbed her hand and moved it away from the front of her shirt and placed it on my hip while she kissed me. She was relentless though and moved it back to the buttons on my shirt. That’s when I grabbed her hand and broke the kiss.

“What’s the rush?” I asked her and she looked utterly confused.

“You don’t want me?”

I smiled and put my hand on her cheek. “Of course I do, but not like this.”

“Not like what?” She stepped back and looked at me with sheer disappointment on her face.

I took her hand and led her over to the couch. When I sat, I motioned for her to sit next to me. “I don’t know what’s happening between us, but I think it’s obvious that something IS happening. You know who I am and you know my reputation, it’s no secret. I like pretty girls and I like having sex with pretty girls and honestly I have no problem finding one to share my bed when I am in the mood.”

She was getting frustrated; I could see it in her face. I wasn’t trying to be mean, just honest and she needed to hear this. “I know we’ve had sex before and don’t get me wrong, I have no complaints, but all those times, you were a whore in the brothel downstairs and every move you made was robotic. It was your job and I don’t want to be just another John tonight.”

That was all it took for her to slap me across the face. I didn’t react because I half expected it. When she got up and walked into the bedroom, I followed her. She slammed the door in my face, but I turned the knob and opened it. “Get out!”

“It’s my room and no!”

“Fine, then I’ll go back to my room.” She completely misunderstood what I was getting at and I knew she would. When she tried to walk past me I grabbed her arm and dragged her back over to the bed and made her sit on it.

“Sit still and listen to me.” That wasn’t a request either. I had a lot to say to her and I was going to say it whether she wanted to hear it or not. I grabbed a chair and pulled it up in front of her and rested my hands on her knees. “Just listen to me. I’m not trying to hurt your feelings; I’m trying to tell you that I don’t want to treat you like just another whore. I have real feelings for you and I haven’t figured them out yet, but I do think you feel something for me too. I don’t want this to be a roll in the hay with Ruby Tuesday. I want more.”

I was beginning to confuse myself as much as I was confusing her. It wasn’t easy to express my feelings and it wasn’t getting any easier. “What I am trying to say is that I know that you’ve never had a man touch you unless there was money involved. I also know that when you were with those men, it was an act. I don’t want the act and I don’t want you to sleep with me just because I did something nice for you tonight. I want you to want to sleep with me because every time I touch you, it makes you shiver in a good way. I want Kristina, not Ruby.”

I never put my heart on my sleeve like that and I left it out there for her to break. Now there was an awkward silence between us. She wouldn’t even look at me.

After letting out a long sigh, I stood up and grabbed her hands. “Do you understand what I am trying to say?” She nodded and bit down on her bottom lip still unable to look at me. I wasn’t trying to make her feel bad about herself, I was trying to make her feel better about herself, but it backfired. Yes, I could have taken advantage of her and I could have slept with her, but it wouldn’t have meant a thing.

“Goodnight” I kissed the top of her head and left the room. As I stood there outside the bedroom door, I hoped like hell I did the right thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only two chapters left for this one. Link for the third was posted, look up.