A Little Piece Of Heaven

Dear god.

"Are you sure that I'm doing the right thing? I mean we're doing so good just dating" I said, holding a cigarette between my fingers. The hairdresser became frustrated and jerked my head backwards.

"Calm down, it'll be okay. I did the same thing when I married Jimmy and everything turned out great." Kerry said as she pulled her floor length dress up.

"Come here." I said, my cigarette hanging from my lips.

She walked over and I zipped her up.

"Thanks" she said then sat down at the chair next to me.

Brian made sure I had everything I needed for today.

There was a peck at the door then Jimmy walked in, his hand clamped over his eyes.

"No ones naked." I said then took the last drag of my cigarette then put it out in the ashtray I'd filled in the last few minutes.

"You're done." The hairdresser said, I stood up and admired my hair. It was straight as a stick, pulled back into a bun and white ribbon was threaded into it.

"Dude! I thought you said no one was naked!" Jimmy yelled.

"I'm not! I'm wearing a bra and undies." I said.

"Sure." He said then sat down on a chair.

Kerry and Treva rushed around, getting dressed while Jess and Val watched the kids. They had gotten ready already.

"Anyways, what did you want?" I asked resisting the urge to light another cigarette. My nerves were shot.

"I'm relaying messages, " he glanced down at the stick note that was stuck to his hand "Matt says to tell Val that he loves her. Zack says to get his...what's that word?! OH! He said: Jessica, keep Adeline away from Hannah. Brian says...Jesus Christ he wrote alot, he said to tell Ivy Zack is walking you down the aisle, your dad couldn't make it. And he loves you lots." Jimmy read

Honestly, I didn't care that my dad wasn't there, its not like this would be the first thing in my life he's missed.

"Ivy! Get in your fucking dress! We've got five minutes!" Kerry yelled then gave Jimmy a kiss and pushed him out of the room.

Sadly, just to be pretty for my wedding and have my dress look good, I duct taped my boobs up. I pulled my dress up, Kerry zipped the back up.

"Here's your shoes." Val said as she handed me my high heels.

I stood up, my dress was dragging the floor.

I shook my head no and got my vans out of my duffel bag,"I'll be damned if I'm gonna duct tape my boobs up and wear high heels." I said then slipped my feet into my shoes.

"Do I look okay?"

They nodded their heads.

I took a deep breath. Treva, Kerry, Jess and Val left the room to take their places as my bridesmaids. There was a knock at the door then Zacky walked in. His black suit and red bow tie made me laugh.

"Let's get this mother fucker over with." He said then jumped into the air.

I laughed, "Let's go." I said then we locked arms.

We stood there at the end of the aisle. A very nervous looking Brian was standing at the end of the aisle, he looked like he was sweating. Jimmy and Kerry were mouthing angry words at each other across the room.

The pews were packed, most of the people I barely remembered but the memory was there nonetheless. Just to be honest, I didn't want them there either.

Zack walked me down the aisle, he placed my hand in Brian's. This is the moment I'd been waiting for all my life.

I fought tears, as many times as I've said "Dude, I'm not gonna be a pussy and cry." Here I am.

"I love you." I spat, almost choking on my tears.

Brian laughed softly, "I love you too." He replied. I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and tell him how much I love him and how I didn't want to spend another day without him. But I somehow controlled myself.

The minister stood in front of us. I could hear Zack and Jimmy's nervous breathing behind me. Johnny stood there like the little shit he was and Matt was holding the rings. He is, after all, the best man.

The minister looked around, I swear I heard him laugh when he saw Zacky and Jimmy.

He took a breath then began, "Through marriage, Brian and Ivy make a commitment together to face their disappointments – embrace their dreams – realize their hopes – and accept each other’s failures. Brian and Ivy will promise one another to aspire to these ideals throughout their lives together – through mutual understanding – openness – and sensitivity to each other."

He motioned for Matt to come up, he stepped up beside me.

"Who gives this woman in marriage to this man?" He asked Matt.

"Her family and friends, sir." Matt said nervously.

"By gathering together all the wishes of happiness and our fondest hopes for Brian and Ivy from all present here, we assure them that our hearts are in tune with theirs. These moments are so meaningful to all of us, for “what greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined together – to strengthen each other in all labor – to minister to each other in all sorrow – to share with each other in all gladness." The minister said then looked at Brian.

"Do you Brian take Ivy to be your wife – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon her your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her as long as you both shall live?"

Brian nodded, "I do."

I did the same as Brian.

"The rings." The Minister said, Matt pulled the rings out of his pockets and handed them to the minister.

He gave one to me and the other to Brian.

I slid my ring on Brian's finger. Brian took my hand in his and slipped his ring on my finger.

"May you always share with each other the gifts of love – be one in heart and in mind – may you always create a home together that puts in your hearts – love – generosity and kindness. In as much as Brian and Ivy have consented together in marriage before this company of friends and family and have pledged their faith – and declared their unity by giving and receiving a ring – are now joined.

You have pronounced yourselves husband and wife but remember to always be each other’s best friend. And so, by the power vested in me by the State of California and Almighty God, I now pronounce you man and wife – and may your days be good and long upon the earth." He said. I waited patiently for the words.

"You may now kiss the bride." He said. Brian didn't waste any time wrapping his arms around me. The people in the pews stood up clapping. The boys erupted into a chorus of catcalling.

"Stop it dumb ass!" Kerry yelled then slapped Jimmy on the back.

She received an evil glare from the minister.
-----
Brian put his hands on my waist as we swayed to Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.

"We're married." I said, a slight smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"Nah-duh." Matt said as he passed us on his way to the stage.

"Well, Brian wanted to play one of our songs for Ivy. Dudes and Dudettes, this is dear god." Matt said, the boys ran onto the stage. Brian left me alone. Kerry walked up next to me and put her arm around my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.


Dear God the only thing I ask of you is to hold her when I'm not around when I'm much too far away. We all need that person who can be true to you But I left her when I found her. And now I wish I'd stayed 'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired.I'm missing you again oh no Once again