Status: Finished (:

The Weight of Her

Running From Lions

Shaun furiously pressed the button on the vending machine, trying to get his money’s worth of coffee. The hospital didn’t have red bull, or any other kind of energy so he had to settle for coffee. Kennadi lived off the stuff, but he couldn’t stomach it as well as her. It left such a horrible aftertaste. He needed some kind of substance to keep him awake. It had been three days so far and Kennadi had still not woken up. Madison tried to make him go home and get some rest, possibly shower and eat, but he refused not wanting to miss anything. He refused to leave Kennadi’s side.

He walked back to the waiting room to see Madison sitting down, rubbing her forehead tiredly. She had to be just as exhausted as he was. “Here,” He said, holding the small cup of coffee out for her to take. She smiled gratuitously, took it from him, and proceeded to down it in one sitting.

“You should go home,” Shaun said softly.

“I could say the same about you.” Madison replied crankily. Shaun just nodded. “I’ll be heading home soon.” Madison continued. “I have to take Rhylie home.”

“Rhylie’s here?” Shaun’s eyebrows raised. Rhylie was Kennadi’s niece and the reason why they were even together. She may have been only eight years old, but that girl was wise beyond her years. She was the one that told Shaun to grow a pair and ask Kennadi out. He loved Rhylie like she was his own little sister.

Madison nodded. “Yeah, she wanted to visit Kennadi.” Madison answered. “She’s in there with Grant right now.” Madison gave a small smile, looking in the direction of Kennadi’s room and standing up. “Here she comes.”

The first time he met Rhylie, it was his third encounter with Kennadi. And it had been by complete accident. He was walking into the Applebee’s minding his own business, getting ready to meet his brother for dinner, but then he heard his name being called by a high pitched voice.

“Mr. Shaun White!” It called out again. He put on a smile, thinking it was a fan, and began to look around trying to find the source of the sound. A lump hitched in the middle of his throat once he saw Kennadi. She looked embarrassed as she tried to a hush a little girl opposite her in the booth she was sitting at. That’s also when Shaun realized it was the little girl that had been calling his name. She stood up in the booth, and jumped and waved her hands around, calling his name again, “Mr. Shaun White!”

He walked over to their table, shoving his hands in his pockets. Once he stood in front of their table he gave a confused smile. “Heeey,” He dragged out his greeting as he looked from the little girl that had been calling his name to the Kennadi, who was now redder than the color of his hair.

“Hi Mr. Shaun White,” The little girl said enthusiastically.

“Hey,” He smiled brightly at her. “You can just call me Shaun.”

“Okay!” She said. “You already know Kenny.”

“Kenny?” He asked, looking back to Kennadi, who had suddenly become interested in her fingernails.

“Yeah, that’s what everyone calls her. You know a nickname.”

Shaun couldn’t help but laugh at her. “Yeah,” He chuckled. “Hey Kennadi,”

Kennadi looked up at him with fake surprise. “Shaun,” She stammered out. “H-hey. What’re you doing here?”

“Your friend called me over,” Shaun joked.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” She said through gritted teeth as she looked over at the girl. “This is Rhylie, my niece. Rhylie, this is Shaun.”

Rhylie held out her hand and Shaun took it, still confused by what was happening, shaking it gently. “Nice to meet you, Shaun.” Rhylie said.

“Right back at ya.” Shaun said.

“Would you like to join us for dinner?” Rhylie asked, as Shaun looked down at his phone. He had gotten a text from Jesse saying he wouldn’t be able to make it. How convient.

“Rhylie,” Kennadi said, using a tone Shaun couldn’t quite detect. “I’m sure Shaun is busy.”

“No, he’s not.” Rhylie answered matter-of-factly. “Right?” She looked back up at Shaun with pleading eyes.

How could he resist that cuteness? “No, I don’t actually.”

“And I’m sure he would love to join us.”

“Well if it’s okay with Kennadi.” Shaun looked down at Kennadi, who smiled timidly.

“Yeah, that’d be great.” Kennadi answered, getting ready to scoot over so he could sit next to her, but Rhylie had beat her to the punch.

“Pop a squat, Ginger.” She said, patting the seat next to her. Shaun laughed at his new found nickname and sat next to her, across from Kennadi.

“Uhm…I have to pee.” Kennadi blurted out, avoiding eye contact with either one of them as she grabbed her purse and scooted out of the booth, on the way to the bathroom.

“Okay Ginger,” Rhylie said, once Kennadi was out of earshot. Shaun looked at her, somewhat afraid that she might turn on him. “My aunt is practically in love with you,” Shaun blushed at the thought as she continued. “And by the way you’re turning red, it’s obvious you love her, too.”

“I wouldn’t say love,” Shaun said quietly, though still just as embarrassed.

“Yeah, okay,” Rhylie scoffed. “Look Ginger, I’m may be only 7 with a 3.8 GPA, but I’m not blind.”

“3.8?” Shaun asked intimidated.

“I’m a child genius, what can I say?” Rhylie shrugged and put her crayon down. “Just grow a pair and ask her out already.” If Shaun had been taking a drink, he surely would have spit it out at that statement. Shaun nodded showing her understood. But nonetheless, Rhylie was right. He had to get over his nerves and go for it.

Shaun was brought out of his thoughts and looked over to see Rhylie coming out of the room with Grant behind her. She had a big smile on her face and it got even bigger once she saw Shaun. Nothing could bring that little girl down. And Shaun admired her in a way for not letting anything get in her way.

“Hey Ginger.” Rhylie greeted Shaun with the nickname she had given him when they first met.

“Hi Rhyls,” He said, returning the favor and using his nickname for her. She reached up and hugged him tightly.

“I’m going to go say bye to Kennadi.” Madison said quietly before walking off.

“You look bad,” Rhylie said, once she got a good look at Shaun once she situated herself in his lap.

“Thanks,” He chuckled lightly. “It’s been a rough few days.”

“That’s understandable.” She nodded. “I drew Kenny a picture for when she wakes up.” Rhylie’s smile faltered a little as she looked down at her hands.

“I’m sure she’s going to love it,” Shaun said enthusiastically, trying to cheer her up. Rhylie tried to smile, but she couldn’t bring herself to do so. Instead her mouth frowned and Shaun could see the tears welling up in her eyes. He pulled her close trying not to cry himself. “Everything’s going to be okay,” He said, more trying to convince himself than her. “She’ll wake up soon.”

Rhylie lifted her head up and dried her eyes upon hearing the footsteps of her mother walking closer. Madison tried to be brave in front of her daughter and gave a small smile. “You ready to go, sweetie?” She asked, holding out her hand for Rhylie to take.

Rhylie nodded and gave Shaun one last hug, then climbed off his lap. She took her mother’s hand and gave Shaun one last wave before walking off.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Rhylie, haha.
She's got spunk.

Anyways, let's comment and subscribe, ya?
I'll love you forever!
:D