Quiet Little Monsters

words of wisdom

I had always thought fairytales were a bit overrated. They are full of magic and romance and monsters and fairy godmothers. But throughout my experiences with you and him and your neighbor and the lady who owns the bookshop on Central and the man who fixed the car last Wednesday, I had learned that people are actually full to the brim with magic.

Some people are lonely and make up all types of fantastical worlds with angels and love and kisses. I had heard children believe in the unbelievable and beg to be told another story. I had listened to the clashes of lovers and heard their lovemaking in the very same night.

It was not a mystery, this whole fairytale thing. Love was the key and love is still the key.

Now I'm sitting across from Finnaeus Watson in the tiny kitchen table. We are both smiling and it is hard to not think of everything that's happened in the past year we’ve been together. From the fact that Eve and Leon got married, to the news of my mother moving back to San Francisco with her husband. It is magic and love that bring people together and back.

Things haven't been easy or all roses and rainbows. Gavin quit his job and I haven't seen him since. Luella Baker moved out and now lived in the apartment next door, while Finn and I now reside in this very small apartment with girly photographs and lacey pillows and pink and yellow wallpaper. Finn hates it.

It is not easy when your boyfriend can read your mind and your mother can interrupt your thoughts or when you can overhear the dirty thoughts of men on the street. So if the question of what superpower you would like to possess should ever arise, I would hope you'd think twice before saying mindreading.

You and I –we are different and I understand that now. This was the story of Finn Watson and I and I hope you liked it and I hope that if you see me on the street, you will be kind enough to keep your glorious thoughts to yourself. You have been warned.

"Who are you listening to?" Finn asks me as he studies my face. We have been sitting here for a long while and I know he is impatient.

"Myself," I whisper, "Myself."

Image

fin.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Quiet Little Monsters creep inside my bedroom wall. I'll fall for you. I'll fall for you. I'll fall for you."

-We Were Promised Jetpacks

It's finished.
Thank you.