Every Word

four.

I saw you walking your dog that day. It was a Thursday. Track had just gotten out and I was headed to get an iced tea down where you worked. It was more expensive there than the other stores. But I got to talk to you there. Then I saw you walking your dog and I suddenly lost any need to buy a drink.

"Samantha!" I shout waving at you.

"Hello." You smile big and wave.

"It's finally sunny." I say and stop in front of you. I was ecstatic that you didn't try to go around. You actually sat down at the picnic table out side of the ice cream parlor.

"I love it!" You said. Your dog started to jump on me and it made you laugh. The first time I really noticed your laugh. Just something else to add to the things I loved about you. "This is Kevin." You said giggling.

"Hey Kevin." I said with a smile and ruffled her fur. "What kind of dog?" I ask.

"She's a cocker spaniel. Only a few months old though." You sigh a little while saying this. "I'm gunna miss her when she grows up. She's gunna get so big." You shake you head at the dog.

"I bet she'll be beautiful." I say trying to make you smile again. It works.

"She will be." You say with such honesty. "Well, I better get going before Kevin gets antsy." You stand and smile at me. "Bye." You wave and head down the sidewalk.

"Bye." I watch you walk away. You looked so graceful. I imagined me walking beside you.

The first time I longed to hold your hand.