Sequel: Light in the Storm
Status: Finished. Sequel: Light in the Storm

Eyes of Light

Nineteen; Frantic

I stared at the creature known as the great wolf with nervousness, my eyes settling on his blank face. His large eyes blinked and he turned around, sauntering back over to the cave. I watched him in confusion, my eyes settling on Nick, and I heard him sigh.

“I found her dad, okay? This is really her. Just… just look at her. She looks just like Rosalind.”

Nick’s words got his attention, his head slowly moving to face me. I stood still and took a shaky breath, moving my flowing hair out of my face. I bit my lip as his eyes racked over me, a low, deep howl escaping. I glanced over at Nick to see him return it, and I instantly felt tired, lulled almost.

Blinking repeatedly, I took a step forward and leaned down, holding out my hand. The great wolf lowered himself, his ears down, and took a few strides forward until his nose was touching my hand. It was wet and cold, his eyes looked wide and saddened. I took a quick glance at Nick to see him sitting, his unblinking eyes staring at his father in front of him. I felt so bad for him and I instantly remembered what I wanted to do.

“Did… did you tell him that I wanted to change him back?” I whispered, swallowing the lump in my throat. His ears perked up and Nick stood back on all fours, his eyes telling me he was skeptical, but it was silent.

“He doesn’t believe you can,” Nick whispered.

I inhaled deeply and bit my lip, setting my hand on top of his gray head. He looked so peaceful, but so alone. What Nick had said… about his father not loving him, that couldn’t be true. Just looking at him made me see how terrible it was to be alone. I didn’t want to be alone. Was this what I would feel if Nick ever left? If Nick ever got hurt? I knew our relationship was progressing, but it seemed to be on a friends-only basis. It didn’t matter though. If anything hurt Nick I knew it would hurt me just as much.

“But I can,” I insisted, sighing. “I want to help you.”

It was silent again and I knew they were communicating by the way they stared at each other. I also knew Nick was listening because his voice hadn’t rang through my mind. The silence seemed almost eerie and, for a moment, Nick looked around suspiciously before snapping his gaze back to his father. The air was cool and the trees began to rustle, but the sun was still bright. I stared down at the dirt my knees were sitting on and I pulled my hand away from the great wolf, leaning backwards to sit on my butt.

“He wants you to understand the dangers to this-”

“I know,” I blurted, biting my lip when both of their eyes settled on me. “I-I mean that I know about the council… and how I’m not supposed to do the spell,” I breathed, looking down to my hands. I traced my fingers over the dirt softly, shivering from the wind. Glancing up, I spotted Nick strolling over, his head down, but I could still see his bright gold eyes and I was surprised when he sat down next to me, his warm fur brushing against my arm. Like he was trying to keep me warm just because I shivered once. I did my best not to lean into him but it was hard and I found my hand placing itself on his side, running my fingers over him softly.

“Just because you’re the great witch now doesn’t mean you rule everything. The council can overrule us, Lonnie. They could lock both of us away for breaking the rules.”

“But why would they lock you away, Nick?” I whispered, taking my eyes of the great wolf to focus on him. “This is me. I want to do this-”

“Because anything you do is my business, Lonnie. If something happens to you, something happens to me, and I’m your protector.” I sighed, knowing where he was coming from. I hated it. I hated that word, ‘protector.’ I was a witch. I could take care of myself. “Look--” his soft voice breathed, his eyes burning into me, as bright as my glowing skin. “You are my responsibility now and whatever you do, I’m right there with you. I’m your soul mate and that’s how it is.”

I felt my heart flutter at the word and drop to the pit of my stomach, my breathing uneven. I knew he was my soul mate; that’s why I didn’t want him to be strung along with me. I was doing this for him, though. I would do anything for him.

I stopped at my own thoughts and quickly looked away from his eyes, dropping my hand from his warm body. It was natural to think that, wasn’t it? It was natural to fall for him… it had to be. I just didn’t get how it was happening so fast and I definitely didn’t want him to know this yet.

“My dad says that, if you’re set on changing him, he’ll be forever thankful,”he whispered, his voice low, and I looked back up. His eyes were so bright, so soft and warm. They looked like pools of pure gold and I could see the deep chocolate glowing through. He let out a low whimper and bowed his head, his eyes looking up at me. “You know I would be too.”

That was it. I was doing this… I didn’t care how much training it took or how frustrated I got. I was going to change the great wolf back into a human so Nick could take his rightful title and finally realize that things could be okay.

Only to convince myself now.

“I’m doing it,” I said strongly, taking in a deep breath.

[&&light]

It was frustrating, not being able to hear what the great wolf was saying. I knew Nick was doing his best to repeat it to me, but there were things I didn’t understand. He had talked of the council and it’s members. I had learned that Jeremy’s father was Lucas Plaster and he was most definitely the lead of the council. He wasn’t a wolf, however, and I found that… strange. How was Jeremy a wolf when he wasn’t? Nick was the only wolf out of his three brothers, but his father was the great wolf. I guess I just wasn’t getting it.

He had also informed me that Coimbra and his brothers were part of the council, but not as disciples. Eve and Sheba were my mother’s backers, therefore making them mine. Nick didn’t have anybody on the council, besides Lucas, because he had his pack. Coimbra was sort of a hunter, since he was a vampire. It sort of frightened me to know that he could just up and take anyone to the council for ‘breaking a rule,’ and I found myself questioning his loyalty to Eve. She was out to do good, but according to the great wolf, and Nick--who was the great wolf also--Coimbra was crooked like most on the council. I had so much more to learn, so many questions to ask Nick.

“My dad says thanks for coming and he wants us to visit soon,” Nick whispered, and I couldn’t help but tell his voice was lower, softer.

I offered a shy smile and stood, wiping my hands on my pants. The great wolfs’ fur blew in the breeze and he squinted his eyes, letting out a low howl, his body slowly turning to face the cave. I watched him stroll in slowly until he completely disappeared into the dark, silence taking over once again.

“Could you phase Nick?” I blurted, watching as he cocked his head. “I want to ask you a few questions and I think I’m more comfortable when you’re… human.”

I didn’t know why I was. He wasn’t nearly as nice when he was in human form. Or he didn’t use to be. He was changing everyday and I knew I was too. I moved away a little, allowing him his space, and he quickly dropped. It amazed me at how he seemed to dissolve and then quickly reappear until his curls began to blow in the breeze. He licked his dry lips and wiped his hands on his tight pants, sighing slightly. The wind seemed to carry the noise.

“Go on,” he nodded, taking a few steps closer to me.

We started down the path, away from the cave, and I didn’t recognize anything, but I just continued my slow pace knowing Nick wouldn’t allow us to get lost. I bit my lip and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear, turning to face him as we walked.

“How come you and your dad think the council is crooked?” I questioned lightly.

“Not all of the council,” he corrected. “Eve and a few of the unknown seem to be alright, but people like Sheba, Lucas, and Coimbra have a vibe to them.

“It’s said that no one knows of Sheba’s real age. When a witch or a wolf, or any creature besides the undead is at the prime of their youth and power, they supposedly stop aging for at least ten years. After they start to lose control and their children grow up, ready to take over, then they began to age again.”

“But what does that have to do with Sheba’s age?”

“People think Sheba was born way back to when wolves and witches first migrated in America. No one really knows because they’re all dead, having their lives end at the correct times,” he explained, but it felt like there was something he wasn’t telling me. He bit his lower lip and stared up into the bright sky with squinted eyes, clearing his throat.

“What aren’t you telling me?” I whispered, his eyes meeting mine seriously. “I can tell that every time you talk about Sheba you hold something back.”

“It’s just my opinion,” he muttered. “It doesn’t matter to you.”

I stopped in my tracks and grabbed his hand much like earlier, but this was much more serious and I could feel a stronger current ripple through me. Steadying my breath, I locked his gaze and shook my head.

“Anything you say matters Nick. You’re so intelligent and you know so much. You’ve never had a bad instinct yet and I trust you. I want you to tell me what you feel because it gives me a better understanding of what I can do,” I whispered, my voice almost weak. He looked at me blankly, but I could see the shock hidden inside his soft orbs, and my breath was taken away farther when he laced his fingers with mine again.

“When a witch doesn’t age… much, anyway,” he snorted and I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to continue. “It means that she isn’t right. She’s evil, Lonnie. Something’s up with her.”

“Is that why you want me to stay away from her?”

He paused, letting out a deep breath. His face was still serious and he knitted his eyebrows together, seeming to lean in. To make me understand his words.

“I don’t want you hurt.”

I felt a giggle try to escape my mouth, but then I’d look like a complete moron, laughing at something as serious as Nick wanting me safe. Why did I find that funny? I guess I didn’t. The truth was… I found it sweet and undeniably attractive, how protective he seemed to be. I blushed. Thinking about him saying something like that made me nervous and I tried not to open my mouth to ramble, but instead ask another question.

“What about Coimbra? He’s Eve’s soul mate… and Lucas--the head of the council? Do you think they’re all connected with ‘evil Sheba?’” I asked, not quite ready to accuse her. But I was very interested in Nick’s theories.

“Coimbra…” he sighed, shaking his head. “Like I said before, he’s the hunter of the council. He can take anyone innocent and accuse them of wrongdoing. It’s like the police in the regular world. One corrupt cop could cause so much trouble, but nobody believes it could even be possible because they trust the law. Coimbra works off instincts; he’s a vampire. And most of the time, the people they lock up…” he shook his head. My eyes widened and I felt sick to my stomach.

“Do you know though? That he actually… kills those people for blood?”

“It’s not hard to guess Lonnie,” he chuckled dryly, his hand tightening around mine as we walked on the straight path. “He’s associated with Sheba easily, since they live together. Do you know how easy it is for them to come up with a plan without Eve?

“Lucas is just another example. He’s Jeremy’s father, the head of the council. I don’t know how he got there. Apparently he’s human, but-”

“You think he’s something else?” He stayed silent, the sound of a few leaves crunching underneath our feet seeming to be my answer. He turned his head to stare straight ahead, his eyes scanning the distance darkly, and he suddenly stopped.

“Nick-”

“Shh,” he hissed, clasping his hand over my mouth. I felt my heart pound at his touch and my eyes widened, my mind registering the fact that I wasn’t supposed to speak. He looked around quickly and the wind began to pick up, a hissing sound echoing through the air.

He groaned suddenly and tugged on my arm, pulling me into a new direction suddenly--off the path and through the trees. I could hear my quivering breath as he made me run, ducking under the tree limbs, but the falling leaves began to speed up, catching in his curls and my own hair. He pulled me along without an explanation and I turned my head, gasping when I saw that familiar cloud of black smoke almost swimming through the air.

“Nick!” I almost screamed, his head snapping around to see it getting closer.

“Damn it,” he breathed, tugging me even closer until I was in front of him, and he pushed me forward, making sure I didn’t get left behind him.

I could feel it coming closer and I closed my eyes, my hair whipping around my face, stinging. I tripped suddenly and felt Nick bump into me, his knee colliding with my cheek. I could feel a bruise forming and blood start dripping down almost immediately due to the fast rate of my heart.

“Lonnie,” he groaned, but I could hear an apology in his voice along with worry. His hands gripped my arms tightly and he pulled me up, but I felt my breath being taken away, the black smoke right there in front of my face, whipping around my head.

I couldn’t breathe suddenly and I felt Nick drop me, my eyes focusing on his body as it was flung out of the way. He rolled down the small slope, his back hitting a tree, but my eyes widened when I felt myself being picked up. I did the only thing I could do: scream. I knew it wouldn’t help, but I did it anyway.

“Nick! Nick!” I screamed the best I could, shutting my eyes, my throat drying out. It felt like I couldn’t swallow let alone breathe, and my mind was clouding over. It felt like things were slowing down and an eerie sound swept through my head, everything blurring. I heard a hissing sound, like words were being said, but I couldn’t make them out.

My heart began to slow down and the wind, now freezing, pricked my skin. I didn’t know if I opened my eyes or not, but I could see puffs of black spreading along, the face of my mother flashing. And then I suddenly saw Nick and, as if I were dreaming, he was standing right next to me. He looked so peaceful, smiling and… happy. And I was right there next to him. He seemed to lean in and before I could see the rest of the slow moving pictures, I heard a voice echoing.

“Lonnie,” it shouted, slowing down, so faint. I heard a growl ripple through the air just as slowly until a howl pierced through the air, my mind cringing. I didn’t register the fact that my body was unmoving until I felt the warm wind brush my face and the same lulling feeling swept through me. I wasn’t breathing, but my heart was beating, and when I opened my eyes it still looked like a dream… and I could see something that was odd.

I saw the darkening field whoosh around me and I saw my mother being held in the air by a black cloud of smoke, the same that was holding me, the great wolf by her side. The black magic was suffocating her, just as it had in my dream, but this time something was distinct. My eyes flashed to the face and it wasn’t my mother. It wasn’t Rosalind. It was… me. It was me and I was glowing just as bright as ever with.. Nick by my side, and suddenly, everything disappeared.

I felt my body drop to the ground with a thud and a stinging pain shot through my arm, my head pounding, but it felt like I couldn’t move. A hissing sound penetrated my ears and the air seemed cleaner, the wind lighter. The rustling of leaves pierced my ears and I wondered if it was just the wind blowing it, but I heard someone drop to my side and two strong hands gripped my shoulders, pulling me up swiftly.

“Lonnie. Lonnie! Lonnie wake up!” the soft voice yelled frantically. “Please,” it breathed, begging almost, and I felt a lump form in my throat. “Please Lonnie. Wake up. Open your eyes.”

I suddenly felt a gust of wind push through me and I realized it was my breath pushing up my lungs and out my now wide mouth. My eyes flew open as I coughed uncontrollably, blinking repeatedly. I could see Nick’s outline and as I continued to blink, his worried face became more clear. His eyebrows were knitted together and his eyes were wide, hazy. His hands tightened on me and I tried to respond, feeling the pain shoot through my arm, but it was as if I were paralyzed.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but say something Lonnie,” he muttered, almost shaking me. I continued to breathe heavily, struggling to move as he spoke. I felt my eyes began to droop suddenly with the sluggish beats of my heart, my body changing rapidly, and his hand gripping my chin.

“Come on Lonnie. Keep those pretty eyes open for me,” he begged, kneeling down closer. His voice seemed a little more calmer as I tried my hardest to do as he requested, trying to focus on his soft face that was so close to mine now. “Look at me. Breathe and keep your eyes open and tell me something.”

I flickered my eyes open, getting my heart to slow down as his hand smoothed down my hair almost frantically, his full lips pursed. I opened my mouth shakily, his eyes staring into mine intently.

“You have really pretty eyes,” I breathed out, my voice cracking. His face flushing once he grasped my words. He rolled his eyes and pulled me into his chest without thinking, hugging me tightly for a few seconds.

“You’re so… so… improbable,” he breathed, finally pulling away. I smiled weakly and winced, sitting up, my head hitting his.

“Ouch!” we both hissed, rubbing our heads, but I couldn’t move my other arm.

“It’s broken,” he muttered, running his fingers over my bare skin gently, warming me instantly. He breathed out and wiped his hands on his pants, looking away from me awkwardly.

“Why… why did that ha-happen,” I struggled, still finding it hard to breathe.

He glanced up with serious eyes, shaking his head as if to say he didn’t know, but he always had an answer. He was Nick Jonas. “It has to be something… the black magic has to be tied into the council somehow.”

“You think it’s Sheba?” I panted, pushing my hair back the best I could. I could feel leaves stuck in there.

Nick slapped my hand away and I pouted, settling it back in the dirt as he quickly pulled the leaves out and raked my hair away from my bloody cheeks with his fingers gently.

“It could be,” he grumbled, his jaw tightening. “If it is I’ll… I’ll k-”

“Nick,” I blinked in disbelief, and he stared at me for a moment before sighing again. “What if it’s not her though? You can’t do anything to her… I won’t.”

“What exactly are you going to do about it?” he snorted, crossing his arms.

“Just because your buff doesn’t mean you’re stronger. I have magic, remember? I can manipulate you if I tried.”

“Try then,” he breathed, his face seeming to be even closer. I could feel his hot breath on my lips and his eyes held challenge, making me flush.

“C-couldn’t it be someone else though?” I asked weakly, struggling to pull my arm into my lap.

“It could be,” he shrugged, slowly standing to his feet. He wrapped his arms around my waist, his curls tickling my temple, and pulled me off the ground with a small groan. I settled on my feet, only wobbling somewhat, and found myself light headed. He quickly pulled his shirt off his head and I tried not to stare once again, focusing on the way his hands gently grabbed my arm. He tied the shirt around it quickly, making sort of a sling, and tightened it so it’d stay in place.

“And let me guess; you have theories about the council?”

“I have my theories about everyone,” he smirked, running his fingers through his hair before his face became serious again. “Now come on. We have to get back to my mom’s so I can get my bag. I don’t think we’ll make it back to Eve’s by morning now.” I sighed and stepped forward, struggling to stay upright. “Can you walk or do I have to carry you?” he asked sarcastically, but I smiled.

“Can you carry me?”

“Why did I ask?” he muttered, leaning forward. I held out my unharmed arm and wrapped it around his neck, his hands slipping beneath me, locking under my knees, and he lifted. I squealed slightly and tightened my one arm grip on him. “You know it’s going to take longer if I stay in human form?” he questioned, beginning to walk through the trees cautiously. I had no idea where in the heck we were.

“I know,” I sighed, but I knew I didn’t want him to change. Although I got strange feelings when he was a wolf, they were even stranger when he was human. I kind of liked it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had mixed feelings about this at first--mostly because it's kind of jumbled--but I kind of like the action part of it and the growing relationship, of course.
Having Lonnie almost... die, in a sense, really shows that Nick cares. So I was happy to write that.(: And Lonnie's thoughts are really progressing towards Nick.(; haha.

So, now that we have that new character Jermy and his father Lucas, we also have a new outlook on Coimbra and Sheba--even though most all of you already suspect her.

Once again, Gone Away--Safetysuit really inspired this chapter. Like, tremendously. haha. I had it on repeat for all of it. I love it and I think it kind of describes Lonnie and Nick. A lot, actually; for me anyway.

Sorry for mistakes and I'm pretty sure there are some, but I'm going to go through it and fix it soon. But in the meantime, I really hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it. Comments please!.(: