Sequel: Light in the Storm
Status: Finished. Sequel: Light in the Storm

Eyes of Light

Two; Sleep

My eyes scanned the darkness, the winding trees looking even creepier. There was a high pitched whistle, one that could be passed as the wind, but then a gray light started glowing from a few feet ahead. I looked down at my own hands: they were illuminating again, but to a lower level.

“Stay close,” the luring voice sounded, echoing through my mind. I couldn’t understand why the voice was in my head. Was my conscience male? No. I shook my head, spinning around, the leaves crunching underneath the animal that slowly strolled forward.

It was beautiful; light brown, big, golden eyes. It stared at me with intensity and an emotion I couldn’t see, an emotion I couldn’t count on because it was a wolf. It strode forward with grace and growled lowly, rubbing against my leg, sitting forward. I turned back around, my eyes scanning the darkness, my hands lighting up brighter without my knowledge.

I could feel my breath quicken and my head start to spin. I narrowed my eyes, pressuring myself to focus on the shadowy figure that was now coming into view, but the voice interrupted me again.

“This is you. It’s all you, Lonnie.”


I gasped, my body flinging upward, the blanket dropping to the ground. I felt like I couldn’t breathe, my eyes searching frantically in the dark room. I looked over at the clock, the time reading past midnight.

“My gosh,” I muttered bitterly, rubbing my face furiously. I settled my eyes out the window, the moon bright, almost outshining the stars. I took a deep breath and set my head back onto the pillow, shutting my eyes.

Sleep didn’t come though, and neither did exhaustion. I was suddenly wide awake, maybe in fear of my dark dream. Sighing heavily, I gripped the pillow to myself, staring up at the ceiling. The room was silent, peaceful, but I was suddenly restless. I needed to go to sleep, to get rest for my second day of school. I let out another groan, my heart pumping faster, my body freezing when I heard a high howl from the distance. I sat back up slowly, holding my breath. The howl sounded again, but it sounded so… soothing, like it was drawing me in.

Before long, I found my feet touching the cool wooden floor, my body slowly moving to the window. I couldn’t stop my hands from pulling it open. The wind hit my face in a gush and took my breath away, my hair trickling to set behind my shoulders; it didn’t stop me though. My hand pushed out at the sound of a third howl, pulling the tattered screen off with ease, setting it down with a quiet cling. I gulped, feeling like I was in a sudden trance, my leg lifting up and over the windowsill. Doing the same with the other, I bent forward, my eyes settling on the ground that looked so far away, but my usual fear of heights didn’t seem to stop me.

“Help,” I heard a seemingly familiar voice whisper, as if it were carried through the cool wind, or spelled out across the shimmering moon.

I blinked, setting my foot shakily on the outstretched tree branch, reaching my hand out to grip the rough wood. I sprung forward without a second thought, the wind rushing beneath me, my hands clasping the branches as I fell to cradle me. My feet hit the ground and I winched, the skin getting scratched by the fallen twigs and dried leaves. I breathed deeply, freezing. Another howl sounded, followed by another echoing sound through my mind.

“Where… where,” it repeated, a low growl of anger sounding next.

I found myself sprinting forward, my lungs pushing out immediate air, the many familiar trees flashing around me. Everything looked the same and now I didn’t know where I was going. I kept forward, looking back at the house that was now twisting away. I was going into the forest, the forest that I was only somewhat familiar with, thanks to my dreams… my nightmares.

I pulled forward, another howl sounding, but it seemed more distant. My heart began to beat faster in an odd fear of losing it. Was I afraid of losing the howl, the voice, or the sudden draw to something I didn’t even know of, but it was there: I felt it. Something was in the forest and I had to find it.

I gasped, my bare feet coming to a sudden stop, the scratches burning. I looked around, finding myself in the middle of the forest, as far as I could tell; there were trees all around, wood piles and leaves surrounding me. There was a small crease in the corner, the moonlight streaming through, landing on a large shadow. I cocked my head, stepping forward warily, the silence so deathly. It was as if I had gone deaf, until a small crunch sounded. My mouth dropped open at the sudden sight in front of me, a large, hairy animal turning with a jolt. Everything about it was big; it’s head bigger than half of me, it’s paws bigger than both my hands put together. I held my breath, the large eyes widening, making everything around me freeze.

The eyes were almond shaped, the color a bright gold. They were shimmering, brighter than the moon and sun. The gleam in them was like a diamond… the depth like endless oceans. They looked like large city lights, so beautiful, so distinct. The color was evenly distributed, the glittering gold all the same color, but there was an abrupt stop, the color changing drastically, but matching so strangely. There was a ring around the pupil. The color a deep, velvety chocolate. It seemed even more mesmerizing then the gold surrounding, but I was pulled out of the sudden daze, a shock of fright running through me. The large animal stepped forward, it’s ears down, its; dark brown fur rustling in the wind, the golden streaks catching the moon. The fur around it’s large head was almost black, the body of what looked like a… a wolf, being lighter golden brown.

I shivered, it’s eyes narrowing in caution, a low growl burning through the air in a sharp tone, making me step back out of reflex. I locked my arms to my side, my eyes settling on the animal that took another step forward.

“Who…” that same calm voice muttered, almost inaudible in my head. I gulped, biting my lip. It stepped back suddenly, pulling it’s ears down, ducking it’s head. Leaves crunched under it’s paws lightly and it let out a low warning howl, it sounded, before it suddenly snapped around and began to run, howling that same mesmerizing howl through the distance. Before I could even notice, I felt my legs start to carry me forward, my eyes searching frantically for the creature.

“Don’t!” the voice rang loud and clear, complete authority ringing through. I gasped loudly, feeling myself tumble forward, my legs giving way… like I was obeying the distant voice.

Air flung out of my lungs, a short groan escaping my lips when my body hit the ground, my knees burning over the twigs, my hands pushing through the loose dirt. I pulled myself up quickly, my eyes focusing on the large paw print in the dark. My hand looked so small compared to the print in the dirt. I stared down at the print, blinking frantically, my mind reconnecting to my body.

“What the….” I trailed off, looking up to see nothing but trees and darkness through the now dull moonlight. For a moment, I didn’t know where I was, and fear washed over me, but… then I heard that voice again, and I immediately stood.“Just go straight. Get away from here."

I pushed myself up, my eyes scanning around all the paw prints; they basically circled the area, the dirt loose. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, finding myself moving along the path with a sudden ease. Opening my eyes, a light seemed to be illuminating my way, but it wasn’t the clearness of the moon, it was a… golden light, one that seemed so much closer. The light suddenly took over my vision and I felt exhausted, my legs giving way, but I hit a soft surface and felt my eyes shut even tighter.

[&&light]

I gasped, jolting upward once again, but this time it wasn’t caused by a nightmare. My eyes scanned my surroundings with franticness, my heart thudding, my mind whirling with confusion. I was in my room… the familiar pink walls looking dim, the cloudy skies holding only a gray light through the window.

I narrowed my eyes and let my mouth hang open with a gasp, pushing myself farther up the bed with my covers in hand. That… wasn’t a dream. It couldn’t have been. Shaking my head, I flung the covers off my legs, my heart stopping in realization: that was real, whatever it was, and the cuts on my feet proved it. It seemed bizarre and so far away: the forest, my loss of control, the animal… the lights. It seemed like a dream. It had parts of my dreams…. But it was real this time. I bit the inside of my cheek and tried to stay calm and rational, telling myself that it was probably the left over nerves from my first day of school. But that couldn’t be… since it actually happened.

“Lonnie. Lonnie, you need-” Dad started, freezing after he pushed the door open some, raising his eyebrows at me. I quickly covered my feet back up and ran my hand through my hair, trying to cover myself up further to convince him I was cold. “You’re up… for once,” he chuckled, bringing up a bitten apple, taking another crunchy bite out of it.

“Umm, yeah,” I breathed, giving him a weak smile.

“Time for school kiddo,” he said slowly after a moment, looking at me with curiosity before closing the door, leaving me alone to gather my thoughts for a moment.

“Right,” I muttered, catching sight of my face in the mirror. I jumped, my face looking different for a split second.

Was I going crazy now? A fifteen year old seeing things… was that what this was? Maybe I was stressed or… in need of attention. Whatever it was, I needed to push away for a normal day

&&&

I gave my dad a smile and a wave before exiting the car, letting my eyes scan over the crowded lot of Clarence High. My nerves still kicked in, it was only my second day here, and I had a feeling in the pit if my stomach that it would be harder than yesterday; I just didn’t know why.

“Lonnie!” Josh’s voice called, my head snapping around to his direction. He grinned and waved, his body leaning up against the railing with Anna right beside him. I smiled back and stepped forward, the cool air making me shiver.

“Did you hear about that new kid?” Anna whispered once I was close enough, bounding down the rest of the steps to meet me, being to impatient to wait for my slow pace.

“No,” I answered, not surprised. She sighed, Josh rolling his eyes.

“Yeah. The kid couldn’t make it yesterday so he has to come today,” he laughed, jogging down the steps too.

“He isn’t a freshman though, so I wouldn’t be talking Josh,” Anna hissed, tugging at her tote bag. I blinked, licking my dry lips, sighing deeply.

“Do… you guys know him or something?” I questioned, pulling myself up the large stone steps. They followed with ease, Anna speaking once again.

“No. We don’t even know his name, but Mr. Cornell was talking, said he’s in his fifth period study hall. I think he’s a senior…” she giggled, Josh jumping in front of me, walking backwards inside the school. I flushed, a smile playing his lips.

“You look tired… you okay?” he questioned, cocking his head. I paused, turning down the hall.

“Yeah. Just… I didn’t sleep too well,” I replied quickly, reaching my hand out, grabbing the padlock. ‘And now my feet are killing me.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, pretty much the same with the last authors note. Give it a try please.
I want to hear your thoughts and what you think so far. Keep going: yes or no?
Don't worry; it won't affect my Here and Now updates. It's not affecting other updates either because I hadn't been doing them anyway. haha.

Comment if you like it. I know, you can't really tell.