‹ Prequel: My Safe Haven

10 Things

chapter 11

Ch 11

I laughed at something Zacky said as I opened the front door. I looked into the living room and saw my mom, dad, Steph, Alan, and Ethan sitting there staring at me. I groaned and grabbed Zacky's hand and walked past the doorway of the living room.

"Iris, would you mind coming back here?" my mom asked me as I make a face at Zacky that basically meant, 'Im-sorry-for-what-you're- about-to-hear-and-or-see.'. He nodded to me and then walked into the living room with me.

"Yeah mom?" I asked and she cleared her throat.

"Well Ethan has something to say to you, and I think you should listen." she said and I shook my head and let out a humorless laugh.

"You know what? I don't think I will listen to him. I think I've heard all he has to say. I think I know what his true feelings are." I said and went to walk away but something tugged on my wrist and spun me around.

"You will listen to what my son has to say." Steph said and tightened her grasp on my wrist.

"I can see where he gets his anger from and like hell I will. He probably didn't even tell you why we're not friends anymore did he?" I asked her and she gave me a weird look.

"What are you talking about Iris. He comes over here every night to hang out with you." Alan said and I looked at Ethan.

"No he doesn't he probably goes over to Riley's house to fuck her. Riley and I, and Ethan and I, aren't friends anymore, and it's going to stay that way because I can't forgive them for how they treated me and what they said to me." I said and they looked at Ethan.

"Uhhh I don't know what you're talking about Iris.." he said and I shook my head.

"Okay then Ethan, why don't I refresh your memory."

<><><><> FLASHBACK <><><><>

I ignored Ethan’s plea’s for me to talk to him and looked at all the scenery passing by quickly.

“You don’t have to be a bitch Iris, for fuck’s sake we were going to tell you when you got better.” he said and punched the steering wheel.

“IF you break a fucking thing in my truck, you can bet your ass that you’ll pay for it.” I hissed and glared at him.

“OH grow the fuck up, I’m not going to hurt your precious truck.” he said with a growl and I sighed. This was the side I hated about him.

“How long?” I asked and finally looked at him.

“How long what?” he asked and glanced at me then back out the windshield.

“Don’t try and play the ‘I-have-no-idea-what-Iris-is-talking-about’ card? How long have you and Riley been dating?” I asked and turned the radio off to make the silence even more uncomfortable than it already was.

“Justafewmonths.” he said and I couldn’t understand him.

“Care to repeat that?” I asked and looked at him sheepishly.

“I said, just a few months.”

“How many is a few?”

“What is this twenty fucking questions?” he yelled and I inched back away from him, my brave side fading away.

“I was just curious.” I said in a small voice and turned back to the window again.

“Iris, I didn’t mean to yell. To answer your question, Riley and I have been dating for six months.” he said. When I heard ‘six months’ my brave side came back again and I exploded.

“Six? Six! SIX FUCKING MONTHS!, and neither of you felt the need to tell me?” I exclaimed and glared at him.

“Frankly Iris, it was none of your business. We didn’t tell you because we knew this was how you were going to react. You think that every thing has to revolve around you! Well here‘s a big fucking news flash, it doesn‘t, so why don’t you grow the fuck up, and mind your own fucking business!” he yelled back and I had had enough.

“That’s it!” I said. “When I get home I don’t want to talk to either of you ever again!” I yelled and turned the radio on full blast so I didn’t have to hear him try and apologize. He pulled him my driveway five minutes later. I waited for him to turn the engine off before I grabbed the keys out of the ignition and slammed the door shut behind me. I knew he was following me but I didn’t care.

“Iris, would you slow down so we can talk, all three of us.” he said and I shook my head violently.

“No, I’ve heard all I needed to hear from you.” I spat bitterly and was even more ticked that Riley was sitting on the couch eating my Atomic O’s.

“What’s up beotch.” she said in a sing song voice.

“Just leave me the hell alone. Both of you.” I said and grabbed my chips from her and began to eat them.

“What crawled up your ass and died.” she said and walked over to Ethan.

“She knows about us.” Ethan said in a hushed whisper.

“Ohhhhh…” Riley said and turned to me with an evil look on her face.

“So that’s it. You’re just a jealous little bitch.” she said with a sneer and I was taken back.

“No I’m not jealous, I’m hurt. I’m hurt that neither of my two best friends would tell me that they were in a relationship, let alone in a relationship with each other.” I said and threw the chips to the floor.

“Oh get over yourself sweetie.” she said in a sickeningly sweet voice.

“I’ll get over myself, when you learn to be a best friend.” I said and walked into the kitchen. I heard her laugh as I took my parent’s hidden stash of Jack Daniels out and grabbed a shot glass. I poured a full shot glass and downed it only to down another one right after.

“Now now Iris, alcohol is never the answer.” Ethan said took the bottle from me.

“Give it back.” I said calmly. So calmly that I think it struck a nerve in both of them as to how they were acting.

“No.”

“God! I’d rather die, than be friends with you guys any more!” I yelled at them and threw my now empty shot glass at their intertwined hands.

“I guess you got your wish then, because you are dying!” Riley exclaimed and I looked at her stunned.

“That was a low blow, even for you bitch.” I said in a low voice.

“Oh honey, I can shoot even lower than that. How about that you are nothing but a mistake. You’re a fucking rape baby. Wyatt isn’t even your dad.” she said and I shook my head.

“No, you’re lying.” I said and backed up against the counter.

“No I’m not sugar. I heard your parents talking about it one night when I stayed over.” she said and shook my head.

“Just get out of my house!” I yelled at the both of them and ran past Ethan. I grabbed the bottle of JD on the way and ran up to my room and locked the door. I turned my back to my door and sank to the floor. I took the cap off the bottle and chucked it across the room. I downed to more gulps before I stood up and made my way over to my stereo and turned it on full blast. My life sucks, there is 50-50% chance that I am a rape baby, I just lost my two best friends, my only friends, I have cancer, and I’m going to die. I really think that’s an okay reason to drink.

Thirty minutes later I finished off my bottle of Jack Daniels, and made my way downstairs for my moms bottle of flavored vodka. I made it down the first stair but my foot got caught on my pant leg and I fell down the rest. The last thought going threw my head was; ‘at least I’ll get to see my nana’ as I was surrounded my darkness.

"But the dying thing i said isn't true anymore I'd rather be friends with Zacky, than be friends with you and Riley." I said and grabbed Zacky's hand and we went up to my room. I shut the door behind us and flopped down on my bed, kicking off my shoes in the process.

"What do you mean when you say that you're sick?" he asked and I shrugged.

"I have cancer." I said and he smiled.

"Me too."
♠ ♠ ♠
comment please