It's Empty And Cold Without You Here.

Chapter Nineteen.

Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey everyone! It's 67 degrees outside and it's 2.33 pm local time. Now we ask you to remain seated until the seat belt sign is turned off. We thank you for flying with us and look forward to next time we're in the air together. Click.

While ignoring the pilot's request, people started to get up and reach for their carry-on luggage. A flight attendant came and woke up some old man in the seat next to Emily, just across the aisle. Without thinking, Emily unfastened her seat belt and stood up to get her luggage. While doing so, she bumped into a man her age. She apologized for her actions, but he just smiled at her and told her it was no big deal, before helping her with the bag (even though she was more than tall enough to get it on her own). After thanking him, she flashed him a sincere smile. He only nodded and followed the stream, as people started to leave the plane.

The minute she set her foot outside the airport, Emily noticed a man with a sign. It had her name on it, and when he noticed her, he waved her over.

"Want help with that bag?" His voice had a thick southern accent when she came over to him.

"I've got it, but thanks for asking," she replied and smiled. She took a deep breath, and was just happy she was away from everything and everyone.

---

"Matthew Sanders, you better be in here!" came Johnny's voice through Emily's house. When he got no reply, he groaned and turned around and walked out the door. He locked it, and then ran across the street and barged into Brian and Michelle's house.

Matt was sitting on the floor, giving Nicky back one of his comic books. No one knew why he had them, seeing as he couldn't read, but they continued to buy new ones for him every week. It didn't matter what comic book it was, as long as he got one.

Gently, Johnny asked Dominick to go to his room and read. After glaring at him for a second, Nick left the living room without a word.

"Tell me what's going on, Matt." When Johnny got no answer, he started glaring at his friend.

"First of all, you need to stop this shit right now and talk to me. I know you're not very happy with me, but I'm pissed at you, at the moment, fuck face."

"Excuse me?" said Matt as he got off the floor and sat down on the couch. He was clearly shocked at the way Johnny was acting.

"Why are you treating Emily so shitty?" he said, but Matt didn't answer.

"You better answer me right now, Matt, because I'm being serious. This isn't about me, it's not about anyone you don't like, disrespect or you're mad at. This is about Emily. You like her, right? You care about her, you respect her, you're fucking overprotective around her. Yet, you treat her like shit and when I come to talk to you, you keep your mouth shut like a fucking seven-year-old would do!"

"What did I do, Johnny? Tell me that, and then I'll answer you."

Brian, Michelle and Leana entered the living room, clearly hearing their raised voices. Even they wondered what was wrong, what Matt had done wrong.

"Emily went away because she felt trapped in that house with you. Because you wouldn't stop mentioning every mistake Felix ever made. She couldn't grieve properly, because you were there, always talking about Felix and how much of an asshole he was. Just because you didn't see the good sides of him, doesn't mean Emily didn't. She loved him."

It seemed as if time had stopped as he spoke. Matt froze, starting to realize how much of an ass he had been himself. Michelle realized that Emily was in love with Felix, and that she didn't stay with him out of fear. Leana understood that Felix wasn't that much of a bad person, he just had a couple of issues to deal with, and Emily wanted to help him. Brian was thinking about how narrow minded his friends and girlfriend were, and started wondering how they hadn't seen Emily's feelings before.

"I didn't mean to-"

"I know you didn't. But honestly, I think Emily and Felix had a healthy relationship. Sure, he had some definite anger issues, which were worse than yours, but she tried to help him through it all. The last six months were the unhealthy ones. And I know it was because Felix was the jealous type, and you were entering our lives again. We had to discuss you, and we all know how much Emily looked up to you."

"I've never thought-"

"Of course not, you're oblivious to things like that. You don't stop to think 'why did this happen?'. Some times that's a good thing, but very often it's not. Do you realize how good Emily's been to you? She let you live in her house, when she knew it would weaken her relationship with Felix. She was the one with the guts to contact you. I know her letters, the last minute visits meant the world to you. But think about it, she was only Val's little sister. She's done so much for you, and you took her for granted, and you still do. She didn't have to do any of the things she did, no one would expect a girl in her position to even think about all the stuff she's done for you. And we all know if it wasn't for Val, you wouldn't give a shit about her."

Matt looked even more shocked after the last comment. He rubbed his neck with one hand and then he rubbed his thigh with the other, making it clear how uncomfortable he was.

"If it wasn't for Val, I wouldn't know her. So I guess you're right about that."

"No, I mean...if Val hadn't forced you two to get along, then we all know that you two would still be bitching at each other."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm proud of myself, it's actually not that short! All I needed was Johnny to freak out on Matt :]