Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Out of the iron bars.

It was only day four.

It was going to come soon, I was surely going to slaughter anyone who tried to tell me this was for my own good again. The walls were beginning to close up on me and I was suffocated by my own blankets on a daily basis. I was reduced to push ups and other simple training exercises to keep myself busy. Not to mention I had read countless books and drawn countless terrible pictures while stuck here. And it was only the fourth day.

Nobody blamed me for being irritable, all that meant is that I would have no visitors. Being left alone for so long does horrible things to a person. My baths now took over an hour instead of their usual twenty minutes, my hair was now being brushed at least five times a day, and I had a much too long list of different ways to destroy Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro. I added to the list every time a thought popped into my head, suddenly I stopped writing and examined my paper and frowned.

I sighed and pushed the paper away from me, almost sad that half the things listed weren’t even possible. Not to mention the fact that I had no electro shock so there went number thirty two. Leaning back on my bed I yawned, watching the bright open outdoors mock me through my curtains. This was getting ridiculous and I scowled as a bird fluttered past my view. My face couldn’t have been any brighter when a knock sounded on my door. I threw the door open with unnecessary force and wrapped my arms around my unsuspecting victim.

Kankuro yelped and held his hands up in the air, as if touching me would make him burst into flames. I looked up into his eyes, trying to hold back the nearly happy tears in my own. “Are you letting me out now?” I asked desperately.

His surprised face turned into one of amusement. “Well I was going to take you out for a walk but now that I think about it, you haven’t been in here long enough to deserve one.” My face fell and I took my hug back, crossing my arms.

“Don’t tease me Kanky, I have been in here for four days and am getting delirious.” I said matter of factly. His eye twitched at his newly founded nickname. This had been number forty three on my list, and unfortunately, there was no death by sudden brain melting.

“I’m ignoring that.” He closed his eyes and crossed his arms. “And now I’m ignoring you.” He turned on his heel and left me standing in the doorway with my mouth dumbly open.

“But- but what about my walk?” I said quietly, staring at his retreating figure.

“Hm.” He stopped walking, but didn’t turn around. I sighed and lowered my eyes, knowing what I had to do.

“I promise, I will never call you Kanky again.” A smile appeared on his painted face and he uncrossed his arms. Peeking at me with one eye open he nodded his approval.

“Good. Now we can go.”

The sun was shining bright and people crossed the streets, going about their normal business. I felt as if I had been given the world, nothing could have made me happier than the natural earth around me. We walked around the village’s shops, occasionally going in and looking around but never buying. After an hour of walking, he brought us to a small ramen shop. “My treat.” He smiled down at me, sitting next to me on the tall stool.

“Ah, you are too sweet my friend.” I complimented, grateful for hot food. We placed our orders and struck up innocent conversation. “So where has everyone been? I’ve seen Temari once and I haven’t seen Gaara since he banished me to my room.”

“Temari is preparing to leave tomorrow to Konoha with the shinobi. She has to talk to the Hokage there and talk her out of this ridiculous situation. And Gaara, well he is always busy. Couldn’t keep track of him even if I wanted to.” He looked over at me, a curious look in his eyes.

“Does that mean I get to start up my normal routine again?” I asked, getting a nod in return. Our bowls were placed in front of us and we happily took our chopsticks to it.

“Mind if we join you?” A voice asked from behind us. My heart skipped a beat as the three leaf shinobi stood behind us. Shikamaru eyed me with distrust while the other two were bickering over something I couldn’t quite grasp. Kankuro mumbled under his breath and shrugged, turning back to his meal. I turned back to my own food, suddenly stiff with a nervous act.

The one named Naruto took a seat next to me and ordered loudly, commenting how the ramen here had nothing on Konoha’s ramen. “So, Ishiko right?” The blue eyed boy turned towards me after ordering, I nodded and he grinned. “How come I’ve never seen you before?” He asked.

“Because she’s not from around here, you moron.” Shikamaru said, casting a dry glance at Naruto. The boy’s face fell before he shot an equally dirty glare at the boy at the far end. “Where are you from?” Shikamaru asked me innocently.

“She’s a runaway from the mist. Lived on her own for so long everyone just calls her a nomad.” Kankuro said suddenly, not looking up. I nodded and took another bite to occupy my mouth. Shikamaru looked uneasy with the answer but accepted it none the less.

We all ate in awkward silence, somehow finishing at the same time. Kankuro and I went to leave but were shaken when we realized the three ninja had decided to tag along. Shikamaru shoved his hands in his pockets and walked next to the blonde boy who strutted along side me. The girl trailed behind, looking closely at the village around her. “You fight?” Naruto spoke up suddenly. I turned to look at him and shrugged.

“I’m self-trained mostly. I’m no ninja but I don’t entirely lack fighting skill.” I said.

“Yeah, we saw that nice kick you gave Temari a couple days ago. Man, you really took her out. Impressive.” He said, glancing at me. “For a girl at least.” He grinned at me and ignored my startled expression entirely.

“For a girl? I can assure you, boy, I could take you out in a second.” I said smugly. Who was this guy, challenging me like it was nothing. I saw the anxious look on Kankuro’s face, but ignored it.

“Care to prove it?” He laughed huskily and pointed at the bewildered look on my face. Shikamaru watched with interest as I fisted my hands and threw a nice hook straight to the laughing boy’s face. That shut him up. He fell to the ground, startled, until Shikamaru and Sakura both laughed lightly.

“Served him right.” Sakura said from behind my shoulder. Kankuro slapped a hand to his face, shaking his head. I lifted my chin up and glared, bothered by the nerve of the kid. The boy got up, looking angry now.

“What was that for?!” He yelled, and in return I scoffed at him.

“I proved it didn’t I?” I sneered. No doubt I sounded childish but a small part of me desperately needed to take out my frustrations on something, someone even, and this kid was the perfect target. “Brat.” I mumbled, screwing up my eyes in agitation.

I didn’t have time to react as his own fist came hurtling at my surprised face. I closed my eyes, preparing for impact when a soft thud reached my ears. Slowly, I opened my eyes and looked around at the startled faces of everyone around me, my eyes fell on the slithering sand that had blocked the hit from striking me. I turned my head and closed my eyes, falling into the smooth, deep voice that spoke.

“That isn’t necessary.” Gaara said coolly. His turquoise eyes fell over me, scanning my body for any other injuries and such. The sand slithered away and the three shinobi took a step back.

“My apologies Kazekage!” Sakura spoke up first. She rounded on the blonde boy and pushed him back. “What were you thinking, you idiot?” She hissed at him and drug him behind her as she walked away. Shikamaru shook off his surprise and smiled at me.

“He meant no harm, really. You just bruised his ego is all. I will admit,” Shikamaru turned towards Gaara, “your girl here sure has one hell of a right hook.” And with that he nodded and left us three standing there. Kankuro laughed and looped his arm around my neck, ruffling my hair with his free hand.

“Way to show that brat Ishi!” He laughed as I struggled to free myself from his iron grip. I noticed Gaara shake his head slightly at me, our eyes met. He could have let me get hit, it sure would have served me right, but he didn’t. He stopped the punch with his sand, and even I knew that was an unusual thing for Gaara to do.