Moonlight and Red Wine

Carlisle's Secret

After composing myself outside, I told Rosalie and Emmett that I just felt faint. I couldn't tell them what I'd really felt for one, I didn't even believe it myself, and two, I think Carlisle knew I knew.

When I came back into the house, Edward had taken Bella home in which I just went to my room to try to keep my thoughts together. I didn't know what I was anymore. I thought I had it all figured out. Slayer, next to average girl, vampire lover, dancer, 21, but now, now it was all just complicated. I hadn't seen my deep brown eyes in about two days now, they've stayed golden, I knew they grew black when I got mad just like the other day. And blood was smelling more appealing to me than ever before.

I sunk into the corner of my room as I pulled my knees up to my chest as I let a few single tears fall from my eyes. I was silent the entire time, until someone knocked on my door.

"What?" I hoarsely let out as the door opened in which I seen Alice standing there with a small smile on her face.
"Carlisle wants to talk to us all in the living room."
"About?"
"Come on," Alice moved closer to me, "He said it was important."
"Fine," I stood up to push past her in which she followed me.

I made my way down the stairs to see everyone already waiting around for Carlisle to say something. I took a seat next to Rosalie and Emmett as that silence still stuck around.

Carlisle sat in a chair, not speaking as everyone looked towards him waiting for some explaination.

"22 years ago," Carlisle started, "I wanted to start a family of my own. I wanted my own child, a child who was innocent, who could live a normal human life. But I knew it wouldn't be possible. There are always those things that stop it from happening.

Then I met a woman in Estonia, Adalia, she was bright, young, wanted a child so badly but her husband couldn't have any children. It was the perfect oppurtunity to have a child, visit it, watch it grow. I told her there would be risks but she insisted that her and the baby would be fine.

So, I gave into temptation, Adalia became pregnant with my child. Only she ran after she told me, far away. I didn't hear from her only through letters about the child. I had a daughter, a beautiful baby girl but others wanted her dead. Her mother who had been protecting her with dark magic, wouldn't do it any longer. She just found a way to save herself during child birth but she chose not to give her protection.

Then when the girl turned 6, she was kidnapped by a gang of rogue vampires. It ws the first time I had seen her since she was born. My daughter. Adalia came to me with a request to find her, so I did her the honor of finding her. I protected her from them, kept her safe. It was then I realized that I couldn't possibly just watch her go out of my life again. Especially not with her mother and that man that pretended to be her father for all those years.

So I kept to the shadows, I watched her grow. Took my notes, made my presence known as she grew. When she was 12, she was changing, Rupert Giles found her and told her she was going to do great things. Things that no one could imagine, and he would help her. Adalia hearing this, didn't want her to take part in it, but she couldn't stop it. She had become the Slayer and there was nothing she or anyone else could do about it."

It was that instant that I locked eyes with Carlisle as everyone else looked at me. I could feel the heat rise to my face but I didn't dare look at anyone.

"The coven Adalia was with," Carlisle started, "Heard the news as well and wanted her to join their side, fight for all the wrong reasons. But my there was also something different about this girl, she was changing ever since she was born. Though it wasn't a full change, it happened with her eyes mostly. Going from her deep dark brown eyes to that light, alluring gold color. Adalia couldn't deal with it so she sent her to live with the Harris family, a choice that I wish I could've stopped from happening."

"Why didn't you?" I spoke coldly as I looked at him.
"I wasn't sure if I could."
"Wait," Jasper looked at us, "You mean-"
"Deegan is my daughter," Carlisle nodded.
"Which means she is half vampire, half human," Esme added as everyone looked at me.
"You still could've came in and saved me," I glared at him as he hung his head.
"Would you have believd me if I told you the truth?"

I looked away since I knew I wouldn't of. I didn't even believe in being a slayer when Giles came to me all those years ago.

"So, you're 21?" Alice asked.
"Yeah," I nodded as I looked at her.
"And when Carlisle told us to take you outside-" Emmett started as I tried not to look at him.
"Bella really needs to be more careful," I nodded.
"So does that mean she drinks blood?" Rosalie asked as I shook my head.
"She can still be a human, more than we can. She doesn't need blood to survive."
"But," Alice started, "She becomes one of us. I've seen it."
"She doesn't have to," Carlisle stood up from his spot.

I watched as he walked off then everyone else slowly started to go their own way. I made my way up to my room again as I just wanted to be alone but Esme knew better or something.

"He cares about you," She stood in my doorway.
"Who?"
"Carlisle," She smiled as I looked at her and she entered the room.
"Shouldn't you like hate me or something? I mean he kinda cheated on you."
"No," She smiled lightly, "I can't have kids. And even though those 4 out there are like my kids, I knew what Carlisle wanted."
"But-"
"He told me about you, confessed after he saved you that night when you were 6. I admit, I was jealous but he was happy. I didn't want to take that away from him."
"And now?" I questioned as I looked at her.
"You're a part of this family now," She walked over to me to embrace me in a light hug, "You can't leave."
"Thanks," I smiled lightly, "So no one will try to kill me?"
"Not here, we'll protect you."
"Thank you," I nodded as I sighed.
"What is it?"
"It's just," I started, "Angel bought this huge house and we're not even living in it. I was just thinking, maybe I could live there, you know give me some extra space?"
"Talk to Carlisle about it," She smiled as she headed out the door.

Over the next couple weeks, I lived with the Cullens, trying to convince Carlisle that I'd be fine living on my own still. After much pleading, Carlisle finally let me, on one condition. I had to let Rosalie and Emmett move in with me. It wasn't a problem though, I got along with Rosalie the most and Emmett was becoming my best friend. I also felt safer with them around.

As I was packing my boxes to go back, I watched Edward pass by my door as Rosalie brought another box to me.

"For real?" She questioned, "You brought this much stuff just to stay with someone?"
"Hey," I smiled at her, "A slayer does need her things."
"Still,' She shook her head as I watched Edward talk to Jasper as my eyes caught his, "Deegan."
"Huh?" I shook my head as I looked back to her, "Sorry, what?"
"You know," She smiled at me, "You're not related to him. Carlisle only turned him, and he took the Cullen name."
"I wasn't-"
"No need to explain," She smirked at me, "Come on, let's get your stuff into your house."
"What about you and Emmett?" I questioned as I followed her.
"We'll bring it later," She snickered as she walked past Edward, "Come on Edward, we need your help too."

A couple hours later, my stuff was finally back as I looked around the house. I stretched quickly as I watched the sun start to settle again.

"I really should go on patrol again," I watched the scenary as I felt Edward stand next to me.
"Why?"
"I'd feel safer."
"But if Harmony-"
"I'll be fine," I smiled at him, "I'll keep track of where I am and what's going on around me."
"I'd like it better if I went with you, or Emmett."
"I'll be fine, Edward," I smiled at him, "If it makes you feel any better, I'll carry a cell phone."
"That doesn't help."
"Will you relax?" I turned to smile at him, "No one's going to kill me."
"Why won't you let me read your mind?" Edward asked as he looked at me as I let my smile fade.
"Because once a vampire gets into a slayer's head then they can come and go as they please. I just don't like having someone read my thoughts all the time."
"I promise I wouldn't."
"Not right," I looked at him seriously, "When the time is right."
"When is that?"
"I'll let you know," I looked back out the window.
"Will you at least be careful tonight?"
"Promise," I held up my hand with a smile on my face, "Will you stop worrying about me?"
"Maybe," He smiled as I rolled my eyes.