Sequel: Bullet and a Target

Code of Honor

Chapter 16

Suddenly his arms around me felt tight and dirty. I didn’t want to touch him in anyway. I had trusted him. It had taken a lot for me to trust him again and he just threw that away. Did my mother mean nothing to him? Could he forget about her so easily? I couldn’t. Roughly I pushed myself up and out of his hold.

“Grace?” He questioned confused. Cutting off the conversation he had been having with her.
I didn’t look back or give him any sign I was listening to him. From this point on I wanted nothing to do with him. Ever again.

“Grace,” He said again catching me by the arm before I could leave the room.

I shrugged him off quickly. “Don’t touch me...I hate you.”

I think it was the shock of what I’d said that stopped him from grabbing me again as I made another attempt at escape. I moved out of the room and went straight for the main door. I heard a few people call my name but ignored them all. One was Jamison. That I knew. I pushed out the door and tried to make my way down the stairs. I wanted out of here and away from him. I heard footsteps pound down the stairs behind me and tried t push myself faster down the stairs. I only made it down one set before he caught my arm again and spun me to face him.

“Grace...What the hell is going on?” My father questioned.

His eyes were concerned and confused. Frustration was written all over his features. I seen a few figures stop at the top of the stairs. All keeping their distance but I ignored them.

“Let me go!” I cried trying to pull my arm free of his grasp.

“What’s wrong Grace?” He asked flustered. “Who upset you?”

“You!” I snapped before I could help myself. “I hate you, let me go.”

I was crying by this point. I couldn’t help it. Dad went to reply confusion all over his face. More footsteps came down the stairs quickly. Jamison was there in my peripheral vision. We both ignored him.

“What did I do?” my father begged

“You promised me!” I cried. A cruel realization took over his features. “Did mom mean nothing to you!”

“Grace,” He choked out. “You don’t understand....”

“What’s there to understand. Mom’s dead. You can do whatever you want now,” I snapped cruelly still trying to pull my arm free of him. He stood there shocked and confused. More than likely trying to think up an excuse.

Jamison stepped in. “Cameron let her go...Grace calm down. We’ll sort this out.”

“There’s nothing to sort out,” I cried. “I hate him!”

“You don’t mean that. C’mon back inside,” Jamison urged gently.

I shook my head and backed towards the door. Cameron, who had been in some form of confused stupor suddenly flickered his eyes at me.

“Don’t you go out there,” he said. He sounded scared but firm at the same time.

In an act of nothing more than defiance I walked out of the building. I bounded down the stairs in a few step and hit the ground running. He couldn’t catch me but I heard his voice travel down the deserted street.

“Grace!”

I kept running. My chest and unused legs ached in disagreement but I pushed myself to keep going. To put more distance between him and me. I just wanted to get away from him. I knew I shouldn’t have put my trust in him again. He never deserved it. He’d never get it back either. I kept running until my legs and lungs physically couldn’t push me any further. I collapsed against a dirty wall several blocks from the hideout. Heaving and gasping for air. Somewhere in the back of my mind Jamison’s words played again.

“Just don’t go running any marathons. Your lungs still need some time to recover.”

Did they ever I though as they ached. Running was a bad idea. After a small coughing fit I straightened up and took a few deep breaths. They came awkwardly to my chest but they felt good at the same time. Slowly I started to walk down the crumbled road. I didn’t want to push myself to much but I wanted to put more distance between me and my father. Who was no doubt looking for me? I didn’t want to see him. I needed time to think and I didn’t want to hear his excuses.

Pain shot down my legs. I had been bed ridden for so long my legs didn’t want to hold me let alone run. I wanted to fall back down in the street but knew that was bad idea. I could be found by soldiers or worse my father. I needed somewhere to hide. But I had nowhere to go. I glanced around. I knew this area of the city but there wasn’t much left standing. A few stores, a McDonalds that had been boarded over and a small newsagent. I frowned. There was something about the newsagent that flicked something inside me.

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out the note Riley had written me. I glanced at the back where he had written directions for the places he had mentioned. This was one of them. Without a second thought I crossed the street and climbed over the fallen fence that separated the sidewalk from the road.

Hesitantly I pushed on the door. It looked like it had once been made of glass. But the glass had been long since smashed. Someone had attempted to board it over but had failed miserably. It was more than likely broken in the riots I thought. Nothing was fixed after the bombs. Inside was a mess. Intensifying my belief it had been attacked in the riots. The room was almost emptied other than the pushed over shelves and mess. Anything of use had been taken. I walked over to the back wall where a counter ran the length of the back wall.

Following the directions from Riley’s note I scavenged through the bottom of the counter until I came across a small metal box. I pulled it out slowly. It was a deep red in colour though it showed signs of fading. According to his note this was where he wanted me to leave a reply. I opened it. Only a small broken pen took residence in the box. I pulled it out and held it in my fingers. I wanted to leave him something but I wasn’t sure what to write.
With a sigh I looked around until I came across a piece of paper. It was torn but it would do. I slumped down behind the counter, hidden from the outside world and started to write back to him. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to say to him but quickly it started to flow.

I thanked him for the information he had given us. It had been helpful, very helpful. I asked him if he had known anything about the bombs that had been dropped over the city. Then before I knew it I was telling him everything. It was good to let it all out. Even just to write it down even if he never read it. My hand was hurting by the time I finished. I put the note carefully into the red box and put it back where he had left it in the hope he would eventually find it. Making note in the back of my mind to check it again to see if he replied again.

I stood up and stretched my sore muscles. My chest still aches but my legs seemed to have forgiven me. I walked over to the cracked window and looked outside. The sun had lowered considerably in the sky. I had been in here a long time I realized. I didn’t even know how late it was when I left.

Suddenly it hit. I would have to find somewhere safe to sleep tonight. I wasn’t going back. But I had no idea where to go. I glanced back at the store around me. It was to open, the wind whistled through all over the place. Also something about the place put me on edge. I didn’t want to stay here.
There had to be somewhere else for me to go. Somewhere that wasn’t so close to a main road. One the army didn’t patrol. My dad and I had managed to find plenty of safe places to sleep when we first lost our home. It couldn’t be too hard. I’d just have to spend some time searching. Hopefully I could find something before darkness fell.

Carefully I pushed the broken door open and stepped out into the cold air. It wrapped itself around my exposed face. I shuddered and pulled the hood of my jumper up over my head. Shoving my hands in my pockets I turned on my heel and went to walk down the sidewalk. Only to almost walk into someone. I looked up and came face to face with a large mans chest.

Hesitantly I looked up. I could tell from his uniform and the gun in his hands he was a soldier. He was staring at me blankly but hadn’t moved to kill me. I stepped back slowly keeping my eyes on his dark ones. Before he had a chance to act I turned quickly and started running. Only to come to a skidding halt a few feet later. Another soldier was there. I was trapped between the two of them. Shit.

The second soldier moved towards me. He was tall and lanky and something about his features put me on edge. They reminded me of a rat. I backed up keeping in mind there was another man behind me. I wondered what my chances were of jumping the fallen fence before they could grab me. I decided to give it a shot. Quickly before he could see what I was doing I sidestepped and tried to climb over the fence. But he was to fast he grabbed my arm and pulled me down.

“Hey hey hey,” he said smoothly putting his arm around me and pulling me closer. I struggled to pull away. He smelt like stale sweat and rotten cheese. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

I tried to pull away but he held me tight. Refusing to let me go.

“I just want to talk. What’s a pretty girl like you doing out here on your own?”

“I got...lost,” I lied trying to pull away.

“Likely story,” She smiled lifting my hand up over my head to expose the red band. “Wearing these can get you killed you know?”

“Then why haven’t you shot me,” I retorted without thinking.

He laughed loudly. “I’m not going to hurt you gorgeous. But I might have something you’re interested in.”

“Like what?” I questioned uninterested.

“I have a proposition for you,” He started with a sly smile. “I’m offering you a warm bed, a roof over your little head, protection, good food and showers...The whole kit ‘n caboodle kid. Anything your little heat wants.”

Alarm bells rang in my head. “What’s the catch?”

He smiled wider. “All you have to do…is give us a little information. Tell us what we want to know and we give you everything you want.”

“What happens if I say no?”

He smirked coldly. “It wouldn’t be in your best interests. Why would you. I’m offering you things you’ll never have if you stay out here.” He leant down onto my ear. “There’s a lot of bad men around here. Ones you will be quick to take advantage of a pretty little girl like you. Especially if you have no...protection.”

I saw exactly where this was heading. He wanted information out of me and he was using bribery and threats to get it.

“Stop playing with it Ginge,” The big man sighed boredly. I assumed the name Ginge came from the lanky mans greasy red hair.

Ginge smirked and looked down at me. “I don’t know Moose she doesn’t seem to want to play. What do you wanna do with her?” With that said he pushed me back into the large mans chest. His arms, the size of tree trunks, instantly restrained me in his chest.

“Last chance princess,” Ginge taunted coming up close. “Are you gonna tell me what I need to know?”

I was officially screwed this time. No one was going to help me now. No one who would knew where I was. I knew my time would come eventually. But no matter how pissed off I was at my father and his new girlfriend. I wouldn’t tell these men where they were hiding. There were some people with them I still cared about. I smirked and told him exactly what he needed to hear.

“Yeah,” I mumbled still trying to pull free of the giant who was holding me. “Go take a shower.”

The big man started shaking with laughter behind me. Ginge stared at me with hard angry eyes. I think I’d hit a nerve. Well if I was going to go out I was going to make a pain of myself before I did.

“You wanna go first big guy?” Ginge asked cruelly. “Might as well have some fun with her before we bury her.”

Moose nodded his head in the direction of the room I’d just left. Realizing what I was in for I struggled harder in the hope I could get away. But I couldn’t escape the large man who was holding me. He was too strong for me. I was less than half his size. Ginge opened the door and I kicked my legs out trying to stop Moose getting me through it.

“Hey!”

Both the men turned in an instant. Ginge lifting his gun. I looked back as much as I could. Over the large mans shoulder to see another man out on the street. He was watching us with a determined look in his eyes. He had long dark hair that had been pushed back off his face and eyes that stood out to me even from this distance. I could tell he wasn’t army but he wasn’t wearing any sign that he belonged to a group like ours. A lone nomad. He had some guts standing up to these guys. Ginge pointed his rifle straight at the man with a hard look in his eyes.

“Keep walking,” He ordered firmly. The man took a step towards us.

“Let her go.”

Ginge laughed. “Mind your own business and keep walking. Last chance.”

“But....”

“Don’t get yourself killed over some whore, keep walking.”

The man opened his mouth to speak again. This time Ginge cocked the gun loudly and took aim. The man backed off slowly. I swallowed the hard lump in my throat. I had to give it to the man. At least he’d tried to help me.

“You can’t do that!”

My eyes widened he was still there but I couldn’t see him anymore. Moose had moved so he could see the man better but was still holding me. Then a loud bang rang through the air. I jumped a foot in the air. Had they really killed him? Just because he was trying to help me?

“That was your last warning, move on,” Ginge ordered his voice hard.

I didn’t really know what was happening behind me but I was suddenly hit with an idea. I let my limbs relax and fall limp. Then waited. Their eyes were still on the other man who I could only assume was still there. Then as I’d hoped Moose’s grip on me relaxed in the slightest. Weather he’d forgotten about me with the distraction of the other man or just thought I was being submissive I didn’t know but I took my chance. I pulled my arms roughly from his grip and turned around to face them. I only had a few seconds of surprise and I had every intention of using them.

I had limited options to get away so I took every one I had. Moose turned to face me quickly once I was free of his grasp. He was twice my size but I knew how to take him down for long enough. I kicked him as hard as I could. It wouldn’t have hurt him much but I aimed for the one spot that would hurt. Right between the legs.

I didn’t feel good about it but I didn’t have much of a choice. He groaned and fell back a few steps clutching himself. Next I went for the other man. Knowing I had to get them both down so they couldn’t shoot me while I ran. I threw all my weight into Ginge. Thankfully since he was so lanky and thin I had some effect. He stumbled over his own feet and tripped over the rubble on the ground. Falling into the broken fence.

Knowing I only had valuable seconds I took off running. As fast as my legs would take me. AS expected I didn’t have long before bullet’s started chasing me. Thankfully none hit me and I made it around the corner. I tore down the street. Scrambling over a pile of rubble that had once been an office building. I hit the to and stumbled over a loose piece of rock. As I righted myself I looked back.

Both men were chasing me. I had expected this. Not only had I ruined their fun. I’d hurt their pride. No one liked being tricked and beaten by a girl. Especially not soldiers. Another bullet speed past me and I jumped down before more could follow. I slid clumsily down the other side and scrambled for the safety of the corner again. As long as I kept out of there line of sight I would be okay. This meant corners and lots of them.

I turned the corner. And skidded to a halt in the loose stone. It still didn’t stop me running into them. It seemed I was low on luck today because this time I’d run head first into a platoon of Russian soldiers. Or what I could assume were Russian soldiers. Their uniforms were different to the American soldiers. Also a red, blue and white flag on the front of their uniforms. Thanks to the loose stones I had no grip and still ran straight into one of them. His long arms shot out and caught me from instinct.

“являются Вы все в порядке?”

Whatever he had said escaped me. I had expected them to start shooting but instead they all stood there dumbfounded and watched me run away again. It wasn’t until I was around the next corner that I heard gunshots. A short burst, then they fell silent as quick as they started. I looked around but no one was behind me. I kept running though I was realizing what was happening. The soldiers had been chasing me, they would have run straight into the Russian soldiers to. They hadn’t shot me, I was only a civilian to them. But they would have killed the other two. That’s what they were here for.

I pushed myself to keep running. I wasn’t exactly sure what had happened back there. But I wanted to put distance between me and whoever was behind me now. It seemed like I was running from everyone tonight. I wondered how far Ginge and Moose would chase me. If they were alive.

I wondered if the Russian’s would chase me. I didn’t want to find out. Nor did I want to find out what they wanted me for if they were. Slavery or death were the most obvious choices. They could easily be slave traders. I had been lucky to never have crossed a slaver. They were crueler than most. Exploiting people to make money. The biggest money makers they had were young girls. It was a sad fact of the times. One I had to be aware of. If I wanted to survive this much longer.

I don’t know how far I made it but my legs gave way beneath me. All my muscles were in agony and cramping. I hadn’t used them in so long and now suddenly I had been pushing harder than I ever had before. They didn’t like it. My lungs were not happy with me either. It was exactly what had happened to me before when I had been running. But this time I had ran a lot further and harder to escape the soldiers.

I crawled onto the dirty pavement and laid down. I stared up at the sky heaving to catch my breath. My heart was racing out of control. I felt like I’d left my stomach several blocks back. My chest...there was no way to explain it. It was on fire. It felt like knifes penetrating my lungs with every breath. It made it even harder to breathe. I rolled over quickly onto my hands and knees and gasped. I felt like I was choking. My lungs were too sore to take in the air I needed. With one last heave my stomach expelled its contents into the dirt.

This wasn’t good. This is why Jamison didn’t want me to run I realized. I hadn’t recovered.
I fell tried to sit up, only to fall back onto my back. I stared up at the darkening sky half obscured by the tall building beside me. The moon was already out. Sitting a top the building. I watched it as my world started to slip away from me.