Sequel: Bullet and a Target

Code of Honor

Chapter 26

I fought the urge to scream and let go of the door in fright. It opened quickly to reveal a dark figure in the doorway, cheeky blue eyes staring back at me.

“Aiden,” I breathed, touching the spot on my chest were my heart sat. It was beating out of control.

“Gracie,” he smirked at me. Something about him was off. I just couldn’t pick it.

“What are you doing out here, you scared the hell outta me?” I sighed stepping out and pulling the door closed behind me. I couldn’t risk anyone upstairs hearing me.

He shrugged and leant against the wall. “Got the night off. Just mucking around with some of the guys. When I saw you out thought I’d come say hi. Thought your dad wouldn’t let you out?”

I caught the condescending tone of his voice but ignored it. “He doesn’t, I just snuck out to get some fresh air quickly. Couldn’t sleep.”

He frowned at me and chewed on his tongue. “Right.”

“Aren’t you meant to be back on base by now anyway?” Riley had told me once before they had an 11 o’clock curfew.

“Nope, I’m allowed to do whatever I want,” He said smugly.

“Really?” I questioned raising an eyebrow.

He tapped the badge sown onto the front of his uniform. “Task force. We have…more freedom than the rest of those other runts. And we get paid better.” The smugness hadn’t left his voice.

I looked him up and down. There was really something off about him. He always had an ego, but this smugness was out of character. Even for Aiden. Even his clothing was off to me. Maybe it was because I’d grown up with him constantly in shorts and baggy t-shirts but seeing him in a spotless, tucked in uniform really put me off.

“Paid?” I asked taking a discreet step backwards. I couldn’t even imagine a use for money anymore.

“Smokes and drink,” He yawned stretching his arms over his head. “The important stuff.”

I pulled a face and nodded. Just going along with it. They might have been the important things to him but I guess food and water wasn’t all that hard to come by for him. On the other hand, our water supplies were critically low and it didn’t look like it was going to get any better in the future.

“And we’re meant to be looking for some lowlifes so no one really cares how long we stay out.”

“Lowlifes?” I questioned already knowing exactly where this was heading. I got a little defensive, I couldn’t help it. One of my pet peeves was ignorance. “What makes you say that?”

He frowned at me. “Slaves, Idiots that tried to cross the border without papers or something.”

“Maybe they were just trying to survive.”

“Why are you so bitchy all of a sudden?”

“I don’t agree with slavery,” I said firmly.

“And look where we are.”

I frowned at him and glanced up at the building. “Look I gotta go….”

“Not yet,” He said quickly grabbing my arm with a little more force than I would have liked.

“Aiden” I sighed trying to free my arm but he held tight. “I gotta get inside before my dad catches me out here.”

“I just…I want to talk to you about something.”

He stepped closer as he spoke and I realized what was so wrong about him. He was so close I could smell the distinct scent of alcohol drifting off his breath and skin. It was strong, almost to the point of gagging. Whatever he had been drinking was not good. I tried to pull back but he mimicked my movements until my back pressed against the wall. Leaving me trapped between him and the wall.

“Aiden,” I warned trying to keep a firm and steady voice. I didn’t like the way this felt.

When he didn’t head my warning I put my hand on his chest and pushed as hard as I could manage. He didn’t budge. I curled my fist into a ball and smacked him in the chest in the hope he would take the not so subtle hint. He didn’t. Instead he grabbed my smaller hands in one of his and held them tight. Leaving me defenseless to his relentless attack. I continued to struggle though I’d lost the use of my hands but he continued to force himself on me. As his face reached mine I smelt the familiar sour tag of alcohol and understood what was so wrong about him. He was drunk.

His lips dry and rough met mine in a forceful meeting. One I tried to pull away from but he met my every move. I started to panic as the helplessness set in. I tried to kick him only to find my legs were stuck against his. He had me pinned. So I tried punching him with my hands again. As hard as I could. Mumbling and muttering into the kiss trying to get him to get off me. Eventually, thanks to the sudden rush of adrenalin that partnered the panic, I hit him hard enough for the message to sink in. he flinched and pulled away, keeping my hands pinned in his.

“What the fucks your problem?” He snapped.

“Me!” I exclaimed as softly as I could. “Get the fuck off me.”

“Oh, I see how it is,” he snapped pushing off me. The force sent me back into the wall, hard. “You’ll snub me when I ask…but you’ll go out for that little weedy fucker.”

“How long have you been following me?”

He didn’t answer. “I thought I meant something to you.”

“You did,” I said firmly.

He glared, swore loudly and punched the wall behind me. I flinched and tried to move away. Not wanting to be in the path of his anger. Rejection was something Aiden could never handle. I never thought I’d be the one on the wrong side of his anger though. He seen me make a move for the door and roughly grabbed my shoulders in his hands. The heel of his palm pressed into the bruise on my shoulder making me want to cry out.

I held it in as much as I could only allowing a small whimper to escape me and tears to brim in my eyes. But I held them back. I wouldn’t cry in front of him. I wouldn’t give him the pleasure. I was shaking violently beneath his hands. I didn’t know how far he would go with this. It didn’t matter he used to be like a brother to me, I couldn’t trust him. This was not the Aiden I knew and that terrified me.

“We were like family,” He hissed. “And you’d give that up for him?”

I shook my head. My voice shook as I spoke. “Times a different Aiden and what else would you expect after what you just pulled. Just let me go.”

“What’s going on out here? Get your hands off her.”

I jumped and looked up. Grateful for any savior even if it did mean I’d get in trouble. It was Jamison who stood in the doorway, his face tense. He stepped forward letting the door close behind him and pulled Aiden off me. Thanks to the impairment of alcohol it didn’t take much and Aiden stumbled back. Giving Jamison a cold glare that made me fear a fight may be incoming.

“This isn’t your business old man,” Aiden snapped.

“Yes it is,” He replied firmly putting his hand gently on my arm to guide me to the door.

“Move on.”

“No…”

“Just go Aiden,” I sighed and slipped inside the door carefully.

“This isn’t over Grace.”

I swallowed the swelling feeling in the back of my throat and tried to force the tears back. Carefully cradling my sore aching shoulder in my other arm. Slowly Jamison entered the building again. Barring the door behind me.

“Jamison.”

“Grace,” He sighed turning to face me. “Who was that?”

“Aiden,” I mumbled. Sniffling. “He was on old family friend. I didn’t expect him to be out there.”

He sighed again. Pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers. “Your father.”

“I know,” I sighed. I knew exactly what he meant. “But.”

“C’mon.” He interrupted. “Let’s go back to bed.”

“Are you going to tell him?” I asked quickly before he could climb the first stair.

He thought for a moment. “No…not this time. You’re not stupid Grace. You know the danger you’re putting yourself in. but next time, and there better not be a next time, I will tell him.”

“Okay,” I mumbled. “And thanks…for everything.”

He nodded but didn’t smile before he went back up the stairs. For some reason upsetting Jamison really bothered me. I probably would have felt better if he’d yelled and told on me. The disappointment was worse than the anger. I sighed, yawned and followed him up. My father met us in the doorway to the main section.

“Where have you two been,” He whispered.

I could see the confusion and suspicion in his eyes. Especially when he looked at me. It didn’t feel good. Not on top of everything else that had happened. How had a great night turned bad so quickly. Thankfully Jamison covered for me.

“Neither of us could sleep so we snuck out for five minutes to get some fresh air and a chat…her shoulder was stopping her from sleeping so I had another look at it,” he lied. He didn’t look happy about it either.

“Oh,” Dad mumbled looking back at me with softer eyes. “What’s wrong with it?”

“Just bruising,” Jamison yawned. “Maybe a torn muscle. I’ll have a better look in the morning when there’s more light.”

“Okay,” he replied as he walked off and went back to his own bed. Dad kept his eyes on me.

“What’s wrong sweetheart, you look a little shaken up?”

I shrugged. “Just tired,” I lied.

“Alright,” he said not entirely sure he believed me. But not wanting to question incase he got the truth. “Get some sleep. I’ll see you in the morning.”

With that he kissed my forehead gently and wrapped a strong arm around me. I hugged him back with my good arm and wandered over to my bed. Carefully so not to wake anyone else I crawled in under the covers and fought the urge to cry.

I didn’t dream that night. My mind was too exhausted by that point. I drifted into a deep unwavering sleep and stayed there until the sun-light snuck through the cracks in the boarded window. That was the first of many times I woke that morning. I didn’t open my eyes but I could judge from the sounds moving around me only a few people were up and awake. Each meant it was still early and as far as I was concerned, meant I had more time to sleep.

The second time I woke was to Dimitri pulling himself, and his warmth, away from the bed. I grumbled but still refused to surface. Again closing my eyes and drifting back into oblivion. The third and final time I woke was to my father’s gentle voice above me.

“Grace,” He whispered gently rubbing my shoulder. “C’mon, it’s almost lunch time.”

“Do I have to?”

He chuckled. “Yes, you’ve got to eat sometime today.”

I sighed and sat up rubbing my still aching shoulder as I did so. The thin blanket fell from my chest and into my lap. Dad kneeled down and pulled the arm of my shirt down to see my shoulder. He frowned. The bruise was still large and nasty, Aiden’s attack last night had not helped it at all. I thought I could see the imprints of his fingers among the lighter bruising.

“If it gets ant worse, get Jamison to look at it again,” He sighed and kissed my forehead.

“Its fine dad,” I sighed as he walked away. It was my own fault that it had been aggravated.

With a heavy sigh I pulled myself up and to my feet. My legs ached. It had been so long since I’d had any decent exercise my muscles were aching from the strain of the night before. It had been a very long time since I’d felt this ache. Deciding I was actually hungry I wandered over to our dwindling food supply and picked up a random unlabeled can. Beggars can’t be choosers. Luckily I was never a picky eater. I pulled the tab with my forefinger and peeked inside. Baked Beans. Fine by me. I glanced around, someone had already started a small cooking fire. The perks of sleeping in. Carefully I went and placed the can in the dying embers around the edge. I was in the mood for something warm.

“Oh, fancy,” Billy commented as I sat down, picking up a discarded stick to poke at the can absentmindedly.

“I know right,” I yawned.

“Is anything happening today?” He asked, catching my yawn.

I shrugged. “I just woke up…I have no idea. Why?”

“Bored,” He replied. “That and supplies are down, figured we’d be heading out sooner or later.”

“Later preferably,” Jamison said as he joined us around the small fire.

“Why’s that?”

“Heavy security around lately, with these guys.” He nodded in the direction of our new members. Together on the other side of the hideout. “It’s best if we keep a low profile until it all dies down.”

“I think we should use ‘em as target practice,” Billy reasoned. “We’ll get Cam’s rifle and head up a floor or two, you with me Gracie?”

“I don’t know, last time you turned out to be a pretty shit shot,” I joked glancing at his arm which was still slung up against his chest.

He pulled a face at me and snorted. “Whatever woman.”

“Sexist.”

Again with the mocking face. “Get back in the kitchen.”

“I am,” I retorted quickly nodded towards the fire. “And the only sandwich I’ll make are knuckle sandwiches,” I warned.

He snorted a laugh. Underestimating me. I’d grown up being tormented by my older brother. I knew how to stand up for myself. Also, my father taught me how to throw a real punch back when I started high school. Apparently no boy was ever going to have his way with me.

“I swear your one liners get lamer by the day Grace,” Billy sighed with a smirk. “I live to hear the next one.”

I ignored him and kneeled down to pull the can from the fire embers. Almost burning my hand in the process as always. Jamison intervened quickly and saved himself some time. Treating another burn on my already blistered hands. I wrapped the can in a scrap piece of material I found lying around and sat down to eat. Slowly savoring it, making it last longer. It was trick we took on early. The slower you ate, the less food you needed.

Breakfast soon became the highlight of my day. Again we were stuck inside in the stuffy room. Dimitri and I passed the time by playing random games. Mostly consisting of I spy and making up scary stories that were never really scary to begin with. At least until, Lizzy, one of the runaways decide to come sit with us and let us interrogate her for new stories. Some one new was a novelty.

They had a new story to tell, new information and something interesting to tell. We questioned her for the rest of the night, answering her questions about ourselves in return. It passed the time easily. I didn’t even notice it passing until I looked up towards one of the only un-covered windows and noted the sun hanging low in the sky. A red tinge to the horizon. Nightfall was soon to follow. Also noticing the height of the sun and the lack of light we had left my father and Jamison went to work delving out food supplies for a lame dinner. A sign of another mediocre day passing where all we’d done is survive.

It wasn’t long after dinner that night fell, and very soon after that, that everyone headed to bed. There wasn’t much of anything to do when sun went down. We were left in darkness and we made the best use of it. As usual Dimitri and I were the last to crawl into out beds, though earlier than usual. We were unable to have a fire tonight. With the army out looking for our refugees it was a dangerous signal to have alight.

I wasn’t tired, thanks to sleeping half the day, so instead I laid there and thought about Riley. I thought about how different our lives would be had we met pre-war. Instead of sneaking around behind everyone’s backs, maybe we would have gone out on dates together. To the movies, the mall…the beach. I imagined actually taking him to meet my parents at my home, my brother cornering him to make sure he knew the risks of hurting me. All the things I’d once done with Oliver. A flash of pain shot through my chest.

Oliver. I didn’t want to imagine in what he must have thought of me. He had given his life to help me and here I was running around with some other boy like he had never existed. He had always been in the back of my mind but I’d been selfish enough to push him away every time. Now thanks to the guilt I couldn’t get him out of my mind. I wondered what he must think of me.

He must have thought I was a slut, he’d hate me. But somewhere in the back of my mind some rational thoughts started to fight through the turbulence, he’d be happy for me. Knowing I was happy and that I’d moved on and stopped grieving.
I rolled over forcefully, trying to push the thoughts from my mind. I was going to drive myself mad at this rate. Swallowing hard, I tried to force the tears back down my throat. I hated feeling this way. Not only grieving for him, but feeling as though I’d betrayed him. I thought about telling Riley that we couldn’t take this any further. But that hurt just as much. I didn’t want to go back to being lonely.

~~~

It was only a few hours later that I woke with the disoriented and confused feeling, unsure if I’d actually fallen asleep to my thoughts. I didn’t have much time to think about it. Somewhere in my sleep addled brain I knew something wasn’t right. But my waking body was having a hard time figuring it out.

The first thing that hit me was the smell and the heat. Thick, sour and I was choking on it. Sweat was pouring down my back. Instinctively I sat up unsure of what was happening to me. I couldn’t see, I could barely breathe. But as I rose I found breathing became harder. There was less air up here. I dropped back down and rubbed my eyes clear. Not that it helped.

The smoke stopped me from seeing more than a few feet in front of me. My first thought was that someone had left the cooking fire going. A flash of orange in my peripheral vision told me this was something more serious. I turned my head to the left and instantly scattered backwards on my hand and knees. A wall of fire was looming over us. I sat stunned, fear immobilizing me. I knew I should be running but the messages weren’t sending. Suddenly something grabbed me from behind and pulled me to my feet roughly. I stumbled only catching a quick glimpse of Dimitri behind me as he pulled me backwards through the smoke.

I followed him blindly having vivid flashbacks to the day in the park with Oliver. Eventually we came to a stop and I still had no idea how far from the exit we were. I had lost my bearings in the smoke. I reached forwards blindly in the hope of finding something to help me find my way out. Right in front of me was a wall, and it was hot. I instantly pulled my hands back already feeling the skin burn. Stupid, I scolded. But it had given me some understanding of where I could be. I just had to follow the wall, eventually I’d find an exit. It seemed like a solid plan. Better than stumbling around blindly in the smoke. I pulled on Dimitri’s sleeve. I only knew he was still beside me from the sound of his coughing over mine.

Hoping I was going the right way I followed the direction of the wall across the room. I had almost reached at the end of the room when I got a small flash of vision. A clear patch in the smoke, and suddenly I knew exactly where I was. I was heading the right way for the door. I headed right for it desperate to get out of the smoke and away from the flames.

We stumbled through the doorway, a second after someone else. I couldn’t pick who they were. Only that they were big, male and in a hurry to escape. We followed him down the stairs quickly. The smoke was no better out here at first but there were no flames. As we came down each flight of stairs the oxygen returned to the air slowly and I found it easier to breath. By the time we reached the bottom floor the smoke was almost completely gone. The open door in front of us was acting as a vent, sucking it all out. We made a b-line for the door right behind the man. Who in the light I recognized as Jason, The third man in the refugee group who had yet to speak a word.

Without warning, we were grabbed from behind. I almost fell backwards but who-ever had grabbed me managed to keep me upright. For a moment I panicked ready to race back for the safety of the door but hands held me back. I didn’t understand until I heard the gun-shots.

Three loud cracks split my ear-drums almost in half. They were close by. Only ten feet from me I watched Jason fall. Blood flowering on his back. The hands that held me, turned me away. I looked up, my stomach ready to retch, Michael stood before me. If he had just watched his friend die he didn’t show it. He turned us towards a trap door, hidden beneath the old stair case.

“Follow the tunnel,” He ordered. His voice held no room for argument.

Dimitri and I followed his orders without hesitation. He had saved us from running out the door, into god knows what, I doubted he would send us straight into another death-trap. Pushing the sight of Jason’s death from my mind. I dropped down first. The tunnel reached out before me. It was mostly dirt walls and wooden slats holding it open. The wood was old and rotting, adding to the horrid smell. I pulled my jumper up over my face to block out some of the remaining smoke that had escaped into tunnels and the smell.

The whole tunnel looked old and a part of me wondered if it would hold. It reminded me of the old mines we had visited one summer in West Virginia. Dimitri dropped in behind me making me jump a foot in the air but unlike every other time he didn’t take the time to laugh at me. We instantly started running down the long tunnel looking for the escape. As it turned out, the tunnel wasn’t as long as I had expected, just dark.

It wasn’t long before I could see a thin strip of light coming up. It was the first sign of a door I’d seen. As we approached it opened slowly and a hand reached down to help us up. Dimitri pushed me ahead. I took the hand glancing up to note whom it was first. Billy. He took my hand in an iron grip and helped me back to the surface.

There was no smoke on this side. No fire, nothing. It looked to be an empty business building. To my left large glass doors, all boarded over, lined the wall. On the other side large desks ran the length of the wall. The rest of the room was made up of benches, dead pot plants and the occasional overturned divider. It looked like it had been packed up and abandoned. Not raided.

I could only conclude it was one of many businesses to go down in the recession. A few people from our group already sat around waiting. Most keeping to themselves, nursing wounds and coughing as quietly as possible we had no idea what danger lurked on the other side of the walls. I turned back around as Billy offered his hand to help Dimitri up into the building. I took a seat on the ground beside him determined to do something to help, even if it was minimal. Billy pulled the door too and again waited for the footsteps. I sat silently, also waiting.

It was a slow and dull process helping the few people who came through up and into the building. We never spoke a word to each other while we did it. Only to direct others to keep quiet and keep down. All the while, I waited for my father’s face to appear in the tunnel. Jamison was the first friendly face to show up, Penny heaving at his side.

I stepped back to give the boys room knowing there was nothing I could do here but keep out of the way. Between the three of them they were able to manage her heavy pregnant body up into the building. Lizzy, who had been helping someone tend to their burns instantly moved over to help her.

“How many are here?” Jamison asked as I took a place back at the edge of the trap-door.

“’Bout eight,” Billy breathed. “Including us.”

Jamison glanced around at us. His eyes lingering on me a little longer. Then without another word he disappeared back into the tunnel. Returning to the burning building. I fought the urge to call after him. I wanted him to find my father. Now that I knew I was relatively safe my fear turned to my dad. He was yet to make an appearance. I was terrified he wasn’t going to. Somewhere deep inside, I knew I would not be able to handle losing my dad. I’d lost so much already and he had always been my constant, my guidance. I couldn’t lose him to.

“What are you doing?” Billy asked grabbing my arm as I moved for the trap-door.

“I have to find my dad,” I stated trying to pull my arm free. He wouldn’t give.

“No,” he said firmly. “I’m not letting you go back in there. No way in hell.”

“And I’m not going to sit here and do nothing,” I snapped. “I have to find my dad.”

“No Grace,” He snapped back. The stress was starting to show. “You are not going down there.”

“Let go of me,” I snapped.

“Why so you can take off, not going to happen.”

“You don’t understand,” I cried, the anger fading. “I can’t let anything happen to him.”

“I understand Grace,” He replied coldly. “I lost my parents to.”

We stared at each other with hard expressions. Dimitri jumped in to try and diffused the situation. Of course, he sided with Billy.

“His right Grace,” He said opting for a kinder tone. “Cameron wouldn’t want you to go back in there.”

I glared at him to. Ready to fight my cause but instead I was interrupted by Billy.

“His right Grace, whether you like it or not. No matter what happens to him, the last thing Cam would want was you stupidly risking your ass to save him. He’d want to safe up here with us.”

I felt the familiar hard lump of tears rise in my throat. “I can’t sit here and do nothing.”

“We have to,” He replied tightly. He didn’t sound happy about it either.

I let out a load frustrated sigh and ripped my arm away from Billy’s hand. It hurt my already injured shoulder making me want to cry even more. The frustration and worry was building on me and I’d already been crying on the drop of a hat lately. I moved away from them.

Childishly moving to the corner to be alone and bury my head in my arms. Pulling my knees into my chest. They didn’t get it. I knew they had lost their parents already. But they didn’t know what it was like to have one in this situation and then lose them. Maybe I was being selfish, but I didn’t care. I just wanted them to understand and let me go find my dad.
I only lifted my head to the sounds of people coming up through the tunnel. I’d watch as Dimitri and Billy would help them to the surface, and feel the rush of disappointment every time my father didn’t appear.

The longer he was gone the tighter my chest started to feel. Every second meant he was in more danger and as every second passed I found it harder to convince myself he wasn’t already dead. I was still fighting the urge to go look for him even though I knew the boys would catch me before I got too far. It had been nearly a full ten minutes since id’ escaped the building with Dimitri and I was having a hard time believing there would be anyone left. A loud crash from the other side of the tunnel only reinforced my theory. The building was old and unstable as it was; I was surprised it had survived the bombings. This fire would be the last straw. The building was going to cave into itself as soon as the fire had finished carving out its destruction.

Footsteps brought me from my somber trance. I looked up again. As they drew closer I couldn’t help the glimmer of hope that grew in my chest. Amongst the doubt. But again it was no my father. It was Michael. Smoke was drifting off his clothes and he was coughing hard. The boys gave him a lift up and instantly reached back down. Jamison surfaced looking in just as bad shape. I couldn’t help the tears that welled in my eyes. This was the last of them and there had still been no sign of my father. I was getting ready to break down when Jamison turned back around and called into the tunnel.

“Cameron, get out of there. Forget about it!”

I scrambled to my feet. There was a muffled reply from deep in the tunnel.

“It’s not worth it. Get out of there before you get killed!” Jamison yelled.

“Dad?” I called kneeling next to Jamison, my voice was choked up.

There was no response this time, only the patter of his feet as he came up the tunnel. When he finally came into my sight I let out the breath I had been holding. My shoulders suddenly felt ten times lighter. The boys were poised to help him up and the second he was up he pulled me into his arms. I snuggled deep into his shoulder letting the tears finally start to fall. He was safe. Behind us the trapdoor slammed closed. I flinched.

“Boy’s get that door barricaded,” Dad ordered over my shoulder. “Jamison, help those who need it. Michael you and me are going to find a way out of here without alerting those outside.”

After he finished throwing out orders he pulled back to look down at me. He wiped a tear out from under my eye and ran his hand over my head. Smoothing down my ruffled hair.

“We’re going to be fine alright,” He told me. I almost believed him. “Help the boys get that door closed alright.”

I nodded. He hugged me tight one more time before he walked away. Following Michael and disappearing behind a door. Without a word I turned around to help the boys. They had already managed to over-turn a bench and slide it across the door. Dimitri tugged on it, testing. But it still gave. If they stuck something in it, they could leverage it open. I helped the boys drag another bench and a divider over. Placing them all strategically so their weight pushed against one another, and all together against the door. No one was getting that door open from the other side.

“Did you find a way out?” Jamison asked suddenly.

I turned to see my father and Michael come out of a side door. Michael nodded.

“But we’ll have to be careful.”

“Where are we even going to go?” Dimitri wanted to know. I hadn’t thought that far ahead.

Dad sighed running his hand down his face. Frustration lined every feature of his face.

“I know a place,” Michael said slowly. “The only problem we’ll face is whether it’s occupied but I doubt it.”

Dad nodded. “It’s a start. First we get everyone out of here before they decide to come looking.”

“Who’s out there?” I asked. Remembering the gunshots vividly.

“Army,” Dad replied carefully.

“Most cowardly attack I’ve ever seen,” Michael frowned.

“They set the fire?” I said, more answering my own thoughts. The fire had been way too big to be natural.

“Yes,” Michael confirmed. “And shot us as we escape the building.”

“C’mon,” Dad said. Cutting the conversation there. “Let’s get a move on.”

What was remaining of our group carefully huddled together and followed Michael and dad to the other side of the room. They guided us through a door. On the other side was a long hallway with, what I could only assume, were offices lining the hallway at even intervals. Most were closed put a few were propped open. Providing a peek into them. There was nothing more than desks and filing cabinets. At the end of the hallway another larger door stood. It looked heavier and a dull green exit sign hung above it.

My father poked his head out slowly first to make sure the coast was clear before letting us follow him out. We crossed the street in utter silence. I could hear the voices of the army men drifting around the corner. They were closer than I would have liked. We managed to make our escape relatively easily. I guessed they hadn’t expected us to find a way out other than the door they were guarding.

“Who found the tunnel?” I questioned moving up to walk right behind my father, Michael and Jamison who were all busy conversing.

“Michael,” Dad replied simply.

Michael turned to smile at me. “I was an architect,” He told me. “I know how to read a building also I learnt a long time ago that a lot of the older buildings in the city centre have tunnels like that or secret basements. All built back in the days of prohibition and world war one for the obvious reasons.”

I had a hundred more questions I wanted to ask but my father beat me to the punch.

“Where was this place you know?”

“Other side of the city,” Michael replied. “Back just before the war broke out, the company I was working for was quoted to build a bunker. There were heaps of them going up at the time. This one was to be well hidden, airtight, bomb proof, the whole lot.”

“So it’s safe,” Jamison questioned. Michael nodded.

“I thought they were all meant to be claimed and reported to the government,” Dad said skeptically. “The army would have them all listed.” These were all things we had to be weary of.

Michael shook his head with a grin. “We were given a nice under the table bonus to keep it secret and off record. Remember Alexander Boskovic?”

“The stockbroker?”

“Among other things,” Michael replied carefully. “It was him who had the bunker petitioned in the first place. It was for him. He was so paranoid of the government at the time and what they’d do to him since he was foreign that he wanted it kept a secret.”

“What are the chances his already there?” Dad asked.

“Minimal,” Michael said easily. “The bombs came so suddenly I doubted he made it and even if he did he’d be long gone by now. He was itching to get out of the country back then.”
“It can’t hurt to check it out Cameron,” Jamison urged. “What other options to we have.”

“You’re right,” Dad sighed. “We’ll check it out. First we get these guys somewhere safe.”

“Can’t we come?” I asked butting into the conversation.

“No,” Dad replied quickly and firmly. Leaving me no room to argue.

They went back to their private conversation as we walked. Talking about what we were going to do next. We were now officially out of supplies. No food, no water and very little in the way of medical supplies, only what Jamison had managed to save, and guns. My father had managed to save two rifles, his included, and a few handguns. They were another precious resource. Most the gun stores, or really anywhere that had stock arms and ammo, had been raided by looters and the army.

We made it to the Eastern side of the city quicker than I’d expected. It was absolutely dead outside tonight. Even the birds and wildlife had gone into hiding. It was un-nerving. I didn’t like it. The last time there had been no birds in the sky was just after and for several weeks after the first bombs. They were such a common fitting in the world. One I just used to ignore, but take them away and the whole world feels so dark and empty.

This area of the city was one I’d come to know well. It was more directed towards entertainment. The Mall was only a few blocks to out north, and most of this area was made up of shops, restaurants and bars. I had spent a good few weekends here growing up. It was also a good place to hide. The new buildings had been built so spasmodically around the old ones.

There were a lot of hidden shops and alleyways. It was a good place to hide. But in some places very open. We still had to be careful. Eventually my father directed us off into a small alleyway, hidden in the dark shadows of two shops. We crept down carefully. Unsure what could be waiting in the dark. My father and Michael took the lead, both holding the rifles. For all we knew someone had already taken refuge in here and could very well attack us if we weren’t paying attention.

Thankfully, there was no life. The other end of the short alley opened up into a tight little square. Shop doors and windows lining every inch of the walls. I could just picture how crowded this place would have been back when people actually lived here. The men scouted a small shop to out left. It’s door and both windows had been boarded over. Making it a good place to hide. No one would see in, even if they did they more than likely wouldn’t see us in the dark. We walked in quietly, I followed Billy so I wouldn’t trip over anything. We moved to the far corner of the room, Dimitri joined us. Across the room my father, Michael, Jamison and a few of the remaining men were talking.

I watched wearily. I had a feeling, I knew how this was going to go down. The same way it always did. Jamison would stay back to tend to those who needed it. Penny, mostly. She looked like death warmed up. Again, my father would be a main player in scoping out a new hideout. He would again be risking his life by going out there. I wanted to jump up and make him stay but I knew it wouldn’t work.

From day one he had cemented himself as a leader, nothing was going to change. Michael seemed to be making the same name for himself. The two of them, as i had expected, and a few more men armed with handguns all went to check out this place of Michael's. Again I had to fight not to stop my dad. As if he knew I was struggling he looked back at me one more time. He didn’t smile at me, just looked over me once more and walked away. I let my shoulder’s slump.

“God, I’m wrecked,” Dimitri muttered. Leaning his head against the wall.

I felt the same. I was so tired all of a sudden. The adrenaline had withdrawn from my system, leaving me depleted. Without even thinking about it I let my head fall over onto Billy’s bony shoulder and closed my eyes. He didn’t make the greatest of pillows but it was better than nothing.

“Jeez, you’re cold,” He said putting his arm around me.

“Cute,” Dimitri smirked. I used the last of my remaining energy to flick a rock at him.

“How are you kids holding up,” Jamison voice drifted over gently.

“Alright,” Billy replied. “I think Grace is a bit tired.”

I felt Jamison’s fingers pry in under my neck.

“I wouldn’t expect any different, it’s been a long night.”

“Is anyone badly hurt?” Billy asked.

“Thankfully no,” Jamison replied sadly. I knew exactly what he was thinking. All those that were badly hurt didn’t make it out. “Just a few minor burns and smoke inhalation.”

“Isn’t that bad?” Dimitri asked.

“Can be,” Jamison replied. “But I think we got everyone out before it could do any serious damage. Just let me know if you guys start to feel a bit off okay. Sleepy’s fine,” He chuckled, rubbing my arm. “It’s probably best for you all to get some rest, I don’t know when the others are due back.” If they come back at all.

“I don’t know if I can,” Billy sighed. I felt his weight shift to a more comfortable position. “Not after all that excitement.”

Jamison chuckled and left us be. Going to tend to the others. I guessed that was good news. We may have been down in numbers but what he had left was healthy. I had no idea how many friends we had lost tonight. Some names I’d never even learnt. I didn’t want to think about it. We had to move on no matter the loss.

But…I couldn’t help but wonder if this was all my fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
Third time I've had to write this part out thanks to my Hard-drive >.< I'm gonna go back it up in sixteen different places now.
Comment's are appreciated :D