Sequel: Bullet and a Target

Code of Honor

Chapter 34

I continued to drift in and out of sleep for the rest of the afternoon and into the night. Several times I woke, knowing somewhere in the back of my mind that I should attempt to get up, but before I could contemplate it for too long. I was asleep again. But the next time awoke to dead silence, I forced myself into a sitting position making my body to wake up weather it wanted to or not. For a small moment I was tempted to lay back down and sleep again, I was still tired. Upon remembering why I wanted to wake while everyone else slept, I was wide awake in a second.

I listened hard but there were no sounds coming from the depths of the hideout. Only the sounds of the even breathing from those closest to me. I wouldn’t know for sure unless I checked, so carefully I slipped out from under my blanket. I repressed a shiver as my bare feet met the cold concrete. Quickly I slipped my shoes back on. I top-toed down the halls slowly to find the whole place dead.
Everyone was fast asleep. I could hear Dimitri snoring. I resisted the urge to smoother him and kept walking. For the first time, the door didn’t squeak and squeal when I pulled it open. I took this a good sign and pushed onwards.

I tried my hardest not to look in the direction of the far end of the alley-way when I reached the top. The thought that there might be the slightest blood stain back there scared me. So I kept my head down and pushed on in the other direction. Refusing to let myself think about it anymore. And as I out more distance between the scene of my crime and myself, I started to feel…lighter. It didn’t make sense, but I was all for it. This feeling only intensified my belief that seeing Riley tonight was the right thing by me, even if it was wrong by everyone else.

Just the mere thought of being with someone who didn’t know what I had done, who would look at me normally, not with some twisted sympathy. I was so intent on getting there as soon as I could, I did not pay any attention to the world around me. I walked fast, almost running, through the icy night air. My shoes getting soaked through from all the puddles, that were a lot deeper than they looked from above.

By the time I made it to the mall, not only were my shoes and socks completely wet, but the bottoms of my jeans were soaked. I shook them off, mostly for my own comfort, before finding my way inside. It didn’t occur to me until that moment that he might not even be there. After the incident with my father it was possible that he would back off. I prayed he hadn’t. But some part of me doubted he’d waited all this time for me to show up. I was so eager to make sure I didn’t even hesitate to slip inside the store we’d been using.

“Riley?” I whispered.

There was no answer. Carefully I walked further into the store but failed to find any sign of him. Until I reached the bed we usually occupied. He was lying there, so still. I immediately assumed he was asleep. A smile crept to my lips for the first time in days. I tip-toed over, more afraid of making noise than I had been all night. He didn’t even stir as I climbed into the bed beside him.

The whole world seemed to come together as I laid beside him, snuggling into the crook of his back and laying my arm over him. Except something wasn’t right. He was cold, Riley was never cold. I frowned, not only that but my hand was wet. I pulled it back. Blood tinged my fingers. I took an intake of breath so deep I almost choked on it. I sat up quickly, pulling him close to me. He rolled into me, his eyes meeting mine. They were open, but there was no light there. A patch of blood, shaped like a flower, was in the middle of his chest. The blood still pouring down the front of his uniform. I almost screamed his name.

My eyes shot wide open. But instead of looking at Riley’s bloody body, I was staring at a concrete roof. My chest was heaving with every breath I took. My skin was drenched in a cold sweat, chilling me to the bone. I sat up quickly making my head spin. I promptly ignored it, trying to find my own reality again.

My legs were tangled in my blankets. They almost felt suffocating. I kicked them off viciously. I looked around as my breathing started to return to normal. I was still sitting in the hideout and despite my commotion everyone was still asleep. I ran my hands down my face. Taking away all the sweat I was did. Some rational part of me knew I’d been dreaming, but it had felt so real I couldn’t help the fear. What if it was all true? What if I wasn’t dreaming, maybe I’d blacked out and made it home myself. I shook my head violently. Riley had to be okay. I had to make sure.

I got to my feet quickly. Uncaring If I woke anyone. No one was going to stop me this time. I slipped my shoes on and almost ran for the door. Thankfully everyone was still asleep. No one was around to stop me. They would have only taken up precious seconds. I stormed up the stairs and without any concern for myself almost ran all the way to the mall. Some part of me knew I was being irrational but I didn’t want to chance it. I’d seen too much death in the last few days, I couldn’t stand anymore. Especially Riley. He had been the one thing that had made this life worth living.

The streets were completely dead. Not even the crows were out scavenging. I should have realized what a bad sign this was. But alas, I was driven by fear. Irrational as it may be, and blatantly ignored the world around me until I reached the outskirts of the mall. I slowed down, taking a few deep breaths to invigorate my lungs before I went on. Moving straight for the store Riley and I continued to use a hideout. I slipped inside easily and almost panicked when the scene matched my dream. There was no sign of Riley.

“Riley?”

“Grace?”

My heart jumped in my chest, almost joyfully. I turned the corner to face the bed we’d been using to see him get to his feet. I took him in for a moment, and there was no sign of blood on his uniform. That’s all that mattered to me. I practically threw myself at him, he caught me.

“Your alright,” I whispered into his chest.

“I’m fine,” He confirmed slowly. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I replied as he wrapped his arms around me. Tight.

“You shouldn’t be here.”

“What, why?” I asked pulling back to look at him. He looked scared? Worried? I wasn’t sure. “Because of my dad, he doesn’t know….”

“No,” Riley said quickly glancing over my shoulder. “Did you not see them when you came in?” He questioned.

I shook my head. I hadn’t really been looking. Quickly he led me towards the back of the store. His arms still tight around me while he explained.

“They’re patrolling around here tonight,” He hissed. “It’s a miracle you got in here un-noticed.”

“But, they’re never here,” I said stupidly. Realizing the situation I’d just landed myself in.

I hadn’t noticed before, but Riley was in his full uniform. Usually when we meet he was in just a casual shirt and army grade pants. This time he was decked out. Even down to the large gun. He frowned at me.

“They’re hunting you guys out in the hope to catch you off-guard in the night,” He explained. “They have been for like a week now. But tonight they had some more slave labour escape, they’re looking for them here. Someone hinted to them they’d run here first.”

The noise of the doors opening behind us warned us of company. Riley glanced back before taking my hand and pulling me back, fast. I followed obediently.

“Then why are you here?” I whispered.

He glanced back at me. “Luckily for you, I volunteered. I couldn’t risk that you’d be here.”

“Rawson! You in here mate?”

Riley pushed me gently in the direction of a cabinet display and I took the hint. It was at least six feet tall and almost as long. I got on my hands and knees, and hid behind it. Out of sight.

“Over here,” Riley called back. Moving away from where I was hiding.

I held my breath. To scared to even breath in case it tipped the others off to my presence. I’d done it this time. No one knew where I was this time. If I went missing, no one would even notice until morning. My heart ached for my father. Defying him had been one thing, but not making it back. How could I do that to him. I could only imagine his heartbreak when he woke up to find me gone. I had to make it back. I crawled further back, and laid myself down. Breathing into the carpet beneath me.

“Did you see anything?” One of the men asked. They sounded way to close.

“No,” Riley replied.

One of the men yawned. “Walker thought he saw something.”

“You sure you didn’t see anything,” Another asked almost suspiciously.

“Nothing,” Riley replied. “Well I thought I did, that’s why I ducked in here. But there’s nothing in here. I checked the whole place over.”

“Damn. I could have done with the pay day,” Walker sighed.

“You’re not the only one Walker,” Another man replied. “I haven’t had a smoke in weeks.”

“Is that all we’re doing this shit for.” One asked, he had a strong southern accent. “I have better things to do than chase runaways.”

“What else have you got to do Smithy,” another chuckled. “There is nothing else.”

“I got cars to fix,” Smith replied sarcastically. “Unlike you assholes, I got a job to do.”

Suddenly voice was closer than before. I swallowed hard and pulled my legs into my chest. Minimizing my space. if I was smaller there was less of a chance they would see me. he must have been getting closer, because even I heard the panic in Riley’s voice.

“Maybe it was a feral cat or something,” He said quickly. “Might have shot off out the back.”

“Possible,” One yawned. “Should have just taken a shot at it Walker.”

“Next time I will.”

“What’s this,” The accented voice asked out of the blue. My heart skipped. He was still close by.

“What?” Riley asked.

“It’s mud Smithy,” Walker said sarcastically. “You know, dirt and water?”

“No look at it asshole. It’s a footprint.”

I glanced back at my shoes. They were covered in mud.

“Probably me,” Riley covered. “I was looking over there before.”

“Not you mate,” Smithy replied. “Too small, it’s a sneaker print to. Not a boot.”

“C’mon guys,” Another voice yawned. “How many people go in and out of here every day? It’s nothing. Let’s just go back. I’m fucking tired.”

“And I didn’t come all this way and waste my time to come back empty handed,” Smithy grumbled.

I kept my eyes peeled. Hearing him getting closer and closer. If he found me back here I was trapped. And there was no doubt in my mind he was going to look here. My muddy sneaker prints would led him straight to me. I glanced behind me. The only escape offered in that direction was a doorway. I knew from experience that it led out into the back storage.

From there I could sneak into the next store’s back room and make my way out. Riley and I had done it before and if I didn’t act quickly I was dead meat. The soldiers footsteps were getting closer and closer. Making sure the path behind me was clear, I carefully got to my feet. I knew they’d see me, but I was hoping they’d be surprised. I’d get a head start and id run for cover. Or at least a better hiding spot. I couldn’t stay here a second longer. I waited for the solider to level with the back of the cabinet, so I would have at least a six foot head start on him. And just as his head poked around the corner, I threw all my weight against the floor and pushed off.

“Hey!”

I thought I was going to be okay. I had put too much faith in my plan. What I hadn’t expected was that there would be more men skulking around the other side of the cabinet. When I thought I had a clear run, I really didn’t. I ran straight into another solider. He was shocked, but he managed to garb me all the same. I struggled with all my strength. Kicking my feet out to try and throw him off balance. It didn’t work in the slightest, not until Riley came to my rescue.

Throwing himself into the other man causing him to stumble and let go of me. Riley and I shared a split second look before I turned and ran for the door. Unfortunately by this point in my escape they all knew I was there and it didn’t take long for the others to jump into the fray. Before I even made it near the door large arms wrapped around my middle. Constricting my chest and stomach and pinning my arms to my sides. Again I attempted to kick my legs out, trying to take out one of his knee-caps or if nothing else, going for his groin. He didn’t give me the chance. I managed to get one kick into his shin before one of his strong legs jumped out and wrapped around mine. Completely immobilizing me in his hold. But keeping us both upright.

I still tried to break out of his hold, though I knew it would take a miracle now. He had me, and Riley was in no position to come to my rescue. I could only assume the other two had turned on him after he had helped my first escape attempt. Because now he was on the floor, slightly sitting up. Rubbing the blood away from under his nose. I’d really done it this time. I stopped struggling for a moment to take a few heaving breaths and try to think of a logical way out of this. But, I had nothing.

“What the fuck!” The man with the heavy accent exclaimed looking back between Riley at me. He was almost breathing as heavily as I was.

Another one of the men stepped forward, frowning at me. His hand came towards me and I tried to pull away but it was hopeless. He put his hand on my chin and pulled my face to face him.

“Not one of the ones we’re looking for,” He concluded letting go of me.

For a moment I let myself get my hopes up. Maybe they’d let me go.

“No,” Another soldier said, smirking. “Way better.”

They all frowned as he moved towards me. I struggled again as his hand reached for me. A lot lower than the other soldiers had been. I had no idea what he was doing until I felt the cloth, wrapped tight around my wrist, being pulled away. He held it up with a triumphant smirk. The rest of his group mirrored it. Now there was no chance they’d let me go.

“What do we do with it Walker?” The man holding me asked. “Kill it?”

“No,” Walker replied, tucking my band into his back pocket. It would later be used as evidence against me.

“I thought we had to now?”

“No,” Walker sighed again. “We’ll get more for that alive. The bosses want information.” He turned around as Riley got to his feet. “What the fucks your problem!” He snapped. Advancing on him.

I watched helplessly as another two men followed. Riley glanced back at me. Powerless in the large mans hold and suddenly his face became determined.

“Let her go…Leave her alone.”

They only laughed at him. Walker moved forward again. I was starting to get the feeling he was the boss of this troop.

“What is she, your bitch?” He laughed. A harsh tone to his voice. “I knew I shouldn’t have brought you here. Fucking runt. You’ll be lucky if I don’t have you arrested as well.”

“Let her go,” Riley argued again, stepping forward and putting more power into his voice.

Walker scoffed at him and motioned his other two men forward. They followed without hesitation.

“You two deal with him,” he ordered. “Take him back to base, for all we know he knows as much as she does. Grunt, you can help me with her.”

The other two men grabbed Riley. He tried to fight them at first but it was an unfair fight. There were two of them, both easily doubled him in size. It didn’t take them long to subdue him and start dragging him away. I started to fight my captor again. Stupidly determined to help him. But before I could do anything of significance. Walker was in front of me, pulling a set of handcuffs from his belt. I stopped struggling, staring at the cold silver in his hands. He smirked at my reaction.

“You’re under arrest for treason,” He told me coldly. “And I won’t read you your rights because…you don’t have any.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Even I feel bad for what I'm about to do :S