Status: Hiatus! But comment anyway (:

Postcards from Seoul

The Fourth Postcard

When I wake up, its noon and I’m all alone. It takes a few minutes before I realize where I am – on the floor – and why I’m here.

“Are you awake?”
“No...?”
“Get off the bed”
“Why?”
“Get. Off!”


At 4 AM in the morning he’d chased me out of bed and commanded me to sleep on the floor. What a gentleman. Especially since (according to Xander) they had to get up at 5 for their schedule... Was one more hour in bed with me so horrible? Geez.

Still annoyed I got up from the floor and pain immediately shot down my back. Groaning, I mentally kicked Eli where it hurt and made my way to the bathroom. When I glanced in the mirror I wondered why I had a giant blue spot on my forehead – after a few more seconds I realized it was a sticky note. Reaching up to take it off, it fell off by itself which caused me to roll my eyes at how everything seemed to go against me this morning. Bending down to pick it up (my back yelling in protest) I finally got to read it.

“Went to wake you up but Eli told me you would probably like to sleep in. We saved some breakfast for you in the kitchen. ^-^ ~ there’s a present for you next to the fridge, too. It’s from all of us! Kisses from Cute Kevin and Handsome Alexander”


Grinning like a mad woman, I sprinted out from the bathroom and towards the kitchen. There, on the kitchen table stood a huge platter of rice and chicken soup with another post-it stuck to it. (Don’t eat too fast or you’ll have a tummy ache~) scoffing I showed a giant spoon with soup in my mouth just to spit it out a second later. It was freezing and it annoyed me that they could worry about my health but not warn me about it being cold. The fact that I never had operated such a stubborn microwave before (it did the exact opposite of what I told it to do) I simply gave up on eating and then remembered there was another thing waiting for me – my gift!

Turning around I looked everywhere around the fridge but couldn’t find it. Disappointed, I opened the fridge to see if we had any comfort food. Nothing there, but I did find my present!

In the middle row lay a cell phone with a ribbon around it - and once again I found myself gawking. It wasn’t one of those cheap models – no, no. It was one of the newest one – with a touch screen! Squealing I danced around in the kitchen only to realize I was still in my jammies – and that if anyone would come home they’d be scarred for life. I carefully placed the cell phone on the counter before I raced myself to the bathroom – stripped of all clothing and jumped in the shower. Ten minutes later I was clean and presentable! Now all I wanted to do was play with my phone.

As I went through the contacts I learned that everyone (even Eli) had stored their number in it. Someone had added Lydia’s number (I guessed Kevin) and even my parents number! How they got hold of it was beyond me, but it still planted a big grin on my face. It was incredible how warmly they had welcomed me. Even though I looked like I was from here, I certainly didn’t act like it. It would take a while for me to get used to all the customs, but I determined to do my best. I was sure that if I did, it would work as a repayment of all the luck I had been given so far. Even Eli, being as... err.. . friendly didn’t matter to me in the long run. At the end of the day, I had nothing to complain about.

By the time the clock turned 5 I had managed to study some more Korean and found something to eat. Even though my mother always had tried getting us to eat with chopsticks at home, I had never mastered the art. Somehow my noodles always ended up halfway across the table and my rice never seemed to stay in between the sticks long enough for me to eat it. Lucky for me the boys kept disposable forks and knifes and I could eat safe – for now.

The first one to arrive back was Kiseop. He gave me a brilliant smile when he walked in and put his book bag on the table and sat down next to me.

“Did you have a nice day?” I stutter, remembering to use honorifics. The boys had been very kind explaining how it worked. Even though they said that I did not have to be super formal with them it still gave me good practise. He sent me another brilliant smile (he should model toothpaste or something) and nodded. He told me how he had just started filming a variety show and how much it gave him – he didn’t have any lines (so far) in any of their songs since he had just joined.
“Suddenly, I feel not so new anymore” he said and laughed. His laugh filled me with a feeling of belonging.

We talked for an hour about everything and nothing. He helped me when I struggled to understand him (his Konglish is really cute) and I felt like I had found another friend in him. In some ways we were really similar. He liked reading so he asked me for good books that I knew of in return for dancing lessons. He did some moves and I must say, that guy can work it! It was almost 7 when the others came back – everyone but (to my relief) Eli. Kevin greeted me with a hug, Kibum with a nod and Soohyun with a high-five. Dongho told me he’d gotten his school uniform the other day and that I would get mine as soon as I had registered. Normally, they didn’t use uniforms in higher education but this school was a really prestigious one. To make up for it, the uniforms were really pretty. Dongho nudged me and said that “Noona would look good in one” – everyone laughed at that.

Still I could not believe I hadn’t managed to go out and register today. Maybe it was because I was deathly afraid of going alone. However, the guys were all smiles and said that “since Eli won’t be home until late tonight, he can go with you tomorrow” - I wondered if to who this ‘punishment’ was aimed at. It didn’t matter. At least I wouldn’t have to be alone.

Kibum would be spending the night in his other apartment, which he shared with his older brother. He was also an idol, he’d told me – but they were a bit more famous than them. “Just a bit,” he said before he left. I checked them up before I went to bed though, and they were a lot more famous. Tsk, Tsk.

After checking my email I went to brush my teeth. There I happened to bump into Alexander. He asked me how my day was (in Korean) and I replied that it had been fine (in Korean). He also asked me how it was sharing rooms with Eli. I think I made a face, not sure, but he just laughed.

“Eli is a really good guy though, Rina” he said as he made a mess out of my hair “He’s just not too good with girls” the sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted us and when we turned around, toothbrushes still in hand, there stood – drum roll please, Eli!

His eyes were cold as stone as he nodded and walked out of the bathroom.
“I should go” I mumbled and gave Alexander my best colgate smile (inspired by Kiseop, of course) before I walked back to the bedroom. Eli, with his laptop open, was seated in bed. Without saying anything, I dragged my duvet and covers down to the floor and made a small bed out of it. Diving into the covers I let out a long sigh and closed my eyes.

“I’m coming with you tomorrow” he mumbled, his voice was so... rough
“So I was told” I replied without opening my eyes
“You better not be la-” he said, louder
“Goodnight” I cut him off - and then drifted into a a not-so-peaceful sleep.