Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

62

*Matt's POV*

The past four days that went by since Jackie was home, I would wake up from nothing but nightmares. Her in the hospital, monitors flatlining, losing her, watching her die. But the weird thing was, she'd just dissapear as soon as the monitors flatlined. Just... gone. Then, when I'd wake up, she'd be out of bed somewhere. It was weird, like on cue she'd be in the bathroom, or downstairs, or watching TV.

But this morning, was different. A different Nightmare. One that I wished she had only dissapeared in...



BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

"MATT!"

My head snapped up from where I sat in the hospital room, my eyes locking onto Jackie's as the monitors beeped a steady beep, the one signal my heart feared.

"Jackie? Are you ok?" I asked, running to her bedside as he chest rose and fell rapidly.

"Matt! MATT!" She screeched, her voice so rough and highpitched it sounded almost inhuman. I grabbed onto her hand, but it was burning up that I had to let go. I was pacing around her bed, pressing the emergency button on the clicker as she convulsed.

"Jackie, it's alright, it's going to be ok." I tried to convince myself more than her as the monitor kept the flatline. I frantically pressed the button now, moving from each side of her bed, trying to figure out a way to help her.

Her eyes were rolling into the back of her head as she rose off the bed and fell back down, seizure like. I began screaming, yelling for a doctor.

"Sir, we're going to have to ask you to keep it down. It's the middle of the night, some patients are trying to sleep." A nurse walked in and placed her hand on my arm.

"She's fucking dying HELP HER!" I shouted at the blonde haired nurse. She looked Jackie over and shrugged.

"I'll get a doctor, I'll be back within the hour." She offered me a smile and turned.

I roughly grabbed her shoulders and turned her around, pushing her towards the machines Jackie was hooked up to, her body still convulsing, blood slowly forming at the corners of her mouth.

"Fucking fix her, bitch. Or I'll fucking rip you apart. Now." I hissed at her. She looked up at me with an unimpressed look on her face.

"I'll go find a doctor, I'll be back. Within the hour." She spun around and walked out the door, closing it on her way out.

I turned my attention back to Jackie, blood and foamy saliva running from her mouth as the heart monitors skyrocketed now, no longer announcing her death, but that her heart was racing faster than it should.

"Jackie." I walked over and took her hand, not caring that it was burning. I placed my hand on her forehead and tried to keep her body down as she convulsed again "It's ok-"

"MATT!" She screeched agani, her eyes searching the room, her body shaking, her hands becoming icey cold in an instant. "Matt!" She yelled "HELP ME!" She screamed.

I got up and ran to the door, shaking the locked handle as hard as I could "HELP ME!" I shouted as I watched nurses walking around outside the door "SOMEONE! HELP ME!" I shouted, turning to Jackie. Her skin was white, stark white, her hair was scarce, her eyes were sunken in. My fears were growing inside of me. I never wanted her to leave me, I never wanted to lose her, especially when I was the only one around to help her.

I ran to the cabinets by a sink in the room. I threw thing around, looking for anything that might help her. I found a needle, a bottle of liquid labled with a name I couldn't pronounce, I filled the needle with shaking hands, turning to Jackie as her body shook. I walked over, her green eyes turning to me.

She locked onto my eyes, grabbed my hand, and parted her chapped, bloodied lips "Save... Me..." She choked, tears overflowing her eyelids.

I looked at the needle in my hands, not knowing what was in it, not knowing if it could save her, or kill her. She must have sensed it, she looked at the needle.

"Matt, I trust yo-"

"Don't." I whispered.

"I trust you." She took my hand and pressed the needle into her arm. I let my thumb press down, releasing the liquid into her blood stream.

Suddenly the monitor flatlined once again, her body shook one last time. Her eyes shut, her lips hung, lifeless.

"FUCK!" I shouted and rested my head on her, "FUCK!!!" I felt tears running down my cheeks as something shook my body, I didn't look up, but I felt a cold wind on my neck, and shrugged as goosebumps formed on my skin.

"Matt.... MATT! Mattie, Matt.... Matt, look at me. Matt!"


"Matthew! MATTHEW SANDERS! Matt!"

My eyes shot open and I sat up, my body covered in sweat as I looked into Jackie's bright green eyes. I sat back and listened to my own heavy, uneaven breathing as I looked over her body. She was wearing a white cami, a pair of blue mock-boxers, and her hair up in a messy bun. It looked like she was half asleep, but she became more awake as she looked at me.

"Matt, are you alright? You were screaming in your sleep.." She looked me over "Fuck... Let me get you some water, I'll be right back." She stood up.

"No," I reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her back to me. I felt her tank top on my bare chest and pressed my lips against her's "Don't leave..."

She pulled away "As romantic as you're trying to be, babe, you're all sweaty and gross. Let me get you a glass of water." She insisted.

"I'll get it, just... don't move." I stood up, feeling the covers peel from my body like plastic. I stopped in the bathroom doorway and looked at Jackie, how the light coming from the bathroom landed on her face in a streak, lighting only one side of her. The side with the beauty mark by her eye, something I had never paid too much attention to before. I walked into the bathroom and splashed water on my face, cooling down the heat from my skin.

I was almost expecting a sizzling noise, my body was so warm. I was literally dripping sweat. The lower half of my back was saturated, it was pooling by my collar bone and at the base of my neck. I cupped water in my hands and drank it down, feeling the cold like ice on my throat. I looked in the mirror and dried my face. I wet the cloth down and rubbed my chest, back, and legs down. I cleaned off my arms and dried them quickly, I'd shower first thing in the morning.

I felt my eyes burning as I blinked, and looked at the digital clock in the corner. It was two A.M. We'd only gone to sleep at eleven. I slowly walked back to the doorway and looked at the bed, Jackie was lying down, feet hanging off the bed. I leaned against the doorframe and looked her over, taking in her warm skin, the creamy color of her legs, the lightspots where her knees bent.

"You told me not to move, but I almost fell asleep sitting up." She spoke suddenly, taking me off guard.

"Sorry." I flicked the light off in the bathroom and walked over. Without seeing, I could hear her crawl back to her side of the bed.

I could tell, by the way she shifted, that she was lying down next to me as I stayed sitting. She pulled the covers up on her side, and I moved them off me, but so she was still covered. I kept my eyes trained on a lighter spot across the room. Suddenly I felt her arms, cooler than my own skin, snake their way around my torso.

"Wanna tell me what's wrong?" Her voice was smooth, but cracked. She was clearly tired, it wasn't like we had just gone to bed three hours ago.

"You sound tired, we can talk in the morning." I whispered.

"No," She sat up, moving closer to me, her arms still around me. I felt her legs brush up agaisnt mine, her smooth skin giving me much welcomed chills "I'm awake. Unless you don't want to talk about it, then you don't have to..."

I felt her rest her head against my arm, I felt her eyelashes brush against my skin gently as she blinked twice, then I felt her jaw open wide, she yawned.

I wrapped my left arm around her, pulled her closer "It was just a nightmare..." I whispered and kissed the side of her head "Let's go back to bed."

I heard her sigh as we moved down in the bed,. She moved away from me, turning her back. I didn't want her to think I wasn't comfortable telling her, I just didn't want to upset her right now with the thoughts. I wrapped my arm around her hips, pulling her back and close to my body.

"Still sweaty and gross?" I asked.

She laughed, her back vibrating against my chest "No, just perfect." She laughed and turned beneath my arms, resting her hands flat on my chest, pressing her lips against my chin. She giggled "I missed..."

"Nocturnal you aren't." I laughed as she aimed higher, her lips grazing mine.

"Matt..." She whispered.

"Yeah?" I asked, the thought of her voice screaming in my mind.

"I trust you, and I love you no matter what. You don't need to worry." She turned her eyes up so she was looking at me "You should really try to not scream in your sleep."

I sighed "I'm sorry that I woke you up..."

"It's fine. I would rather have been awake than asleep." She kissed my chest gently "I love you... and I could never stop no matter what."

"I love you, too. I just don't ever want to hurt you." I whispered, feeling now more than ever how small she was in my arms. What if I had been holding her during that nightmare? Would I have strangled her? Suffocated her? I couldn't help but let the horrible images of waking up run through my mind.

"Matt." Jackie pressed my stomach "Looked at me," She redirected my face so I was looking her eyes "Stop worrying." She laughed a little "Go to sleep. Tomorrow's not going to be forgiving of tiredness." She kissed my lips and turned again in my arms, snuggling against me.

I sighed, praying to whoever was up there that I wouldn't hurt her....
♠ ♠ ♠
Aweeee.... Ok, so that dream thing was a fucking BITCH to write! Cos I kept thinking it was actually happening and I'm like "FUCK THIS IS A HORRID ENDING!... DIdn't she just live?" haha I got sooo confused! Then I forgot to take it out fo italics, and got sooo fucked up lol. Anywho... hoped you liked it :) Clearly, they're on the road to recovery in their relationship :)

one more? I think so...

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXOXOXOXOXO Jbizzniz