Lost Souls

Five.

I bit back a groan and lifted my head up, smiling weakly. “Yeah?” I asked. She was looking at me in astonishment and possibly in disapproval. “What’d I do?” I tried to be as innocent as possible.

“I’m so sorry about my friend,” Elizabeth said to Creepy Hot Guy. Oops, I guess now that I know his name I should call him Damon? I sighed mentally, farewell oh nickname.

“It’s fine,” he said and then sat right in front of me. “Hello Rayna.” He smiled at me, but it was mocking me, his expression taunting. I glared at him.

“Creepy Dude,” I acknowledged him, to say the least, and ignored the gapes from the girl. Yeah, I also left out the ‘Hot’ part but hey, the guy’s ego seemed already huge; besides, it would be extremely embarrassing on my part if he knew I was calling him hot. Damon laughed and, as much as I hated to admit it, it was really appealing.

“Rayna! What is wrong with you?” Hannah whispered fiercely. “When there’s a hot guy in front of you, you don’t act like a bitch.” I blinked and swallowed, hiding the hurt, and smiled. So I was a bitch? Huh, real nice coming from people who supposedly wanted to be friends with me.

“Sorry,” I whispered back, “I guess it’s tough when I just don’t care.”

I acted as if my cell phone was vibrating and I stared at the screen before shoving it back into my jean pocket. I stood up, grabbed my bags of clothes, and pretended not to notice Damon’s intrigued stare. I smiled at the girls, fake but it wasn’t like they’d realize, and pretended to be sad. “Hey, my mom just texted me, I have to leave.”

“Aw, well it’s okay,” Tracy said and then asked, “How are you getting back home?”

“Don’t worry about it!” I insisted. They nodded.

I turned around and walked away, a bit sad that having friends just didn’t work out, sighing. Before I could walk far enough, I heard Damon talking to the girls. “Shit, I have to go too. Sorry girls,” he said.

Okay Rayna, walk faster. You can’t be trusted alone with that guy.

“Hi again,” Damon said in a sing-song voice as he walked next to me, his long strides easily keeping up with my short, rapid ones. Damn.

“What do you want?” I asked him, my eyes focused ahead as I walked. I probably wasn’t going to go home, maybe to the park nearby; I can probably clear my head there.

“Nothing particular, I was just wondering what your mother texted you,” he said. I clenched my teeth; the stupid asshole knew and was mocking me.

“Like I’m going to tell you.”

“Well,” he dragged out the word, “since you’re going home and I have a nice shiny car, I can always drop you… I mean, that is why you left your friends right? Because your mom had some sort of emergency and you just had to leave.” We were already out in the mall’s car park.

I stopped and Damon followed suit. I looked up into his icy eyes, my eyes narrowed. “Fine, you got me. There was no text.”

“Shocker there.”

“I was just fed up of the superficiality, being called a bitch and, well, you.” Damon put a hand over his chest.

“Ouch, that one really hurt,” he said. I rolled my eyes, as if I cared. He stopped smiling and looked at me. Wow, he even looked sincere. “The offer is still up you know, you, me, in my nice shiny car. I can give you a good ride.” Ah, there it goes. “Okay, the joke was lame. Do you really want a drop?”

I sighed. My options were to walk on feet that were already hurting or get in a car with a sexy stranger.

I wonder how far I can walk until my feet drops off.

Okay, okay, stupid choice.

“Fine, but don’t think I’m stupid enough to show you where my house is; you’re dropping me off by the park.”

His car was hot, I honestly should’ve known.

A black Mustang. It really was shiny and new. And really, really hot.

Have I mentioned that I’m a sucker for hot cars?

I sat down in the passenger seat and sighed happily, taking off my slippers and leaning back, relaxing. I glanced at Damon. “Now don’t you dare ruin my mood. Put on some music.”

“A woman in charge, I like that.”

I rolled my eyes, but I didn’t bother replying. Truthfully, in the extremely short time I’ve talked to him, I’ve gotten used to his teasing and shit. It actually makes me comfortable around him, and I kind of like it a little.