Status: Complete

Like Walking Into a Dream

Upset.

I stood in front my front door with my phone in my hands, debating whether to go in or not. I fumbled with my keys and fingered the front door key. How will I face him? I just kissed Brian… I bit my lip for the millionth time, but before I could keep debating, the front door opened.

I saw Eric standing there in his sweat pants and plain white tee. He had a five o’clock shadow and bags under his eyes.

“I’ve been on the other side of the door for awhile,” he mumbled. I avoided his eyes and kept them on our welcome mat.

“Pey, let’s just talk. Please,” he said softly and moved so I could come in. Glancing at him briefly, I walked inside and straight to the couch so I could sit down.

“Did you find a dress you liked?” he asked. I shook my head slowly.

“Eric, I-“

“Peyton, please. Just tell me it’s the cold feet that all brides get and then get over,” he said cutting me off.

“I wish I could…” I whispered. Eric fell down onto the arm chair next to the couch.

“Peyton, what’s going on?” he asked.

“Marriage is a huge commitment. I would only be hurting you by marrying you when I have feelings for someone else too.” Tears prickled in my eyes as I spoke.

“Brian. It’s Brian isn’t it?” he asked gently.

“I wasn’t lying when I told you nothing happened like the article said. We didn’t do anything, but I do have feelings for him and he… he kissed me today. That made me think about this wedding even more.”

“Shit.” Eric let his head drop into his hands.

“I’m so sorry,” I choked, the tears beginning to spill over and run down my cheeks. Eric looked at me sadly and tried to smile. He stood up and sat down next to me.

“I love you so much,” he said quietly and pulled me close to him. I cried into his chest. Eric really is a nice guy. He’s only snapped at me once and he really does love me, but I can’t marry him knowing about my feelings for Brian that keep getting stronger.

“I love you too,” I sobbed. Eric pulled away after a while and after I had calmed down slightly.

“Go get in bed and I’ll sleep here. We can talk more in the morning.” I nodded and hugged him once more before going into our bedroom and getting in bed. I cried myself to sleep that night feeling horrible.

…………………………………

I sat on the living room couch the next day, alone. Eric and I had talked all morning, argued a little, but ultimately said goodbye to each other. He grabbed what he needed for now and went to stay with a friend.

We didn’t know yet who was going to keep the house, but we were going to split the furniture. He took it better than I expected, but I knew he was trying to stay strong in front of me.

So now here I am, alone, and upset. The front door opened and I knew who it was immediately.

“Jimmy,” I jumped off the couch and practically flew into his arms. He held me and patted my hair. The kindness only made me start crying again.

“Want to talk?” he asked. I had texted him earlier saying I wanted to see him. I nodded my head so he led us back to the couch and we sat down. I kept my arms around him and my head against his shirt.

“Eric and I called off our engagement. He left this morning and is staying with a friend until we can split up our belongings.” I explained. Jimmy pulled me closer when I sniffled.

“We really loved each other, but I couldn’t ignore my feelings for Brian. I told him that and I said I couldn’t hurt him by marrying him. He tried to be strong, but I know he was really hurt…”

“It’s okay, Pey. I'm here for you now. I won’t leave you.” I love Jimmy. He’s such a great friend. He held onto until I cried myself back to sleep in the middle of the afternoon.

…………………………………

Jimmy carried Peyton into her bedroom and laid her down to rest. She looked exhausted from everything she’s been through. Jimmy walked back into the living room and pulled out his phone, calling Brian.

He picked up after a few rings.

“Fix this. You fucked up her marriage and now she’s upset.” He hung up before Brian could reply. Yes, Brian was one of his best friends, but he’s known Peyton longer and she’s like his little sister. He’s protective of her and won’t leave it alone even if it does involve his best friend.

Jimmy got comfortable knowing Brian would be there any minute. There was a knock on the door 10 minutes later. Jimmy opened the door to reveal a panting Brian.

“I ran all the way here. What’s going on?” he asked as Jimmy shut the door and sat back down on the couch.

“Sit.” Brian did as he was told and knew right away that Jimmy was pissed at him.

“What did you and Peyton do yesterday after you guys left the dress shop?” he demanded. Brian caught his breath and started messing with his hands.

“I followed her to the beach and we kissed. That’s all,” he said.

“Well, Peyton and Eric called off their engagement. No wedding. Are you happy?” Jimmy asked him. Brian looked shocked. He didn’t actually think that Peyton would call it off so soon.

“That doesn’t make me happy. She’s probably upset now,” he said glancing at her door, wondering where she was.

“More like devastated. Don’t wake her up. She cried herself to sleep after I got here,” Jimmy explained.

“Jimmy, I wasn’t looking to ruin their marriage, but I do care about her.”

“Brian, she’s like my little sister. I don’t want anyone else to fuck with her feelings,” Jimmy said sounding less aggressive and more concerned.

“I’m not fucking with her. I really do care about her. If neither of us were engaged before, I would have already asked her out and would have her living with me,” he said sincerely.

“Brian, what did you two get into?” Jimmy asked while shaking his head.

“A forbidden romance? Jimmy all I know is that I don’t plan on letting her get away now. I want her to be with me and I won’t let anything keep us apart now.”

…………………………………

I woke up a few minutes ago and I’ve been sitting with my back against the bedroom door listening to Jimmy and Brian talk. I woke up when Jimmy told Brian not to wake me up.

It was weird hearing Brian say he wanted to be with me. I never knew his feelings were that strong. I decided to go out now and confront them. I opened the door softly, but I guess it wasn’t soft enough because both of them were staring at me when I walked out.

“Hi,” I mumbled quietly.

“Feeling better?” Jimmy asked.

“A little.” I went and sat down next to Jimmy. I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my head on them.

“Having a nice talk?” I asked them.

“Just finding out Brian’s side, that’s all,” Jimmy said. I nodded and looked at Brian.

“I’m going to get going. I bet you two have a lot to talk about. Call me if you need anything, and I mean anything,” Jimmy said getting up. I nodded and he kissed my forehead before leaving.

“So, Jimmy told me about the wedding,” Brian started.

“Yeah, Eric is staying with a friend for now. We need to split our furniture and figure out who is keeping the house,” I said thinking about everything that still needed to be done. We need to cancel all the wedding plans we’ve made—

“Go get dressed.”

“What?” I asked letting my legs drop as I sat up.

“I’m taking you out. You need to do something to make you relax so go get dressed and I’ll make you feel better.” I raised my eyebrow, but smiled and went to get ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did anyone catch that I threw in the name of my other Brian Haner story that I have finished, A Forbidden Romance? Haha I'm so clever(: Go read it if you want.

Wow it has been forever... My sister just put her twins in daycare and I don't have to babysit them everyday anymore, but school starts on Monday. So there will be more updates during my free time. It feels good to be back(:
Leave comments please. I love the feedback(: