The Letters

five

I stepped out of the cab and stared at the building I was going to live in for the summer. The ivory coloured building had black doors and ivy scaling up the side. I pulled my bags up to the black wood door and knocked on it. My mother had called the tenant of the building a few weeks earlier to tell them about my arrival.

The door suddenly swung open and a short woman with black hair stood there, smiling up at me. “You must be Drea! Come in, come in.” She said quickly. I pulled my bags into the building and stood in the foyer while the lady was mumbling in French. “I’ll just get you your keys.” She walked swiftly down the hall. “Oh, and my name is Nicole.” She called from down the hall. Nicole walked down the hall, gave me my keys and told me that my room was on the third floor.

I lugged my bags up the stairs to the top floor. I pushed the door and threw my luggage inside with happiness. I gasped as I looked around the apartment; there was a roomy living room with a floor to ceiling window from which the Eiffel tower could be seen, and a small kitchen. I headed towards one of the closed doors and opened it. It was the master bedroom, the walls where a pale blue, there was a large bed a table and a dresser. I walked to the white curtains and pulled them open; there was a glass door that led out to a balcony. I pushed the door open and stepped outside; I could still see the Eiffel tower towering above the other buildings. I walked back inside and moved all my things to my room. I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking one of my bags and cleaning the apartment.

By the evening I was ready to go out and explore, I had changed into a white dress and tamed my long blonde hair. I slipped a cardigan on and ran down the stairs when I bumped into some one; I looked up at a tall brown haired boy with green eyes.

“Sorry. I wasn’t looking” I said breathlessly.

“Are you Drea? My mom, Nicole, told me you would be staying here. I’m Jack.” He had a slight French accent when he spoke.

“Yeah, I just arrived today.” I replied.

“If you’re going out I can show you around, if you’d like?” He asked, smiling. I couldn’t help smiling back at Jack, I took him up on his offer and we headed outside, the sun was setting and the city looked beautiful. Jack took me to a small bakery by the Seine, called Belle, with vintage wallpapers and large windows looking over the river.

“I’ve been working at this bakery ever since it opened, a year ago.” Jack told me as we sat down. “If you’re ever looking for a job, this is the place. My friend owns the restaurant; I can pull a few strings if you’d like.”

“That would be great! It’d give me something to do after I see the city a bit.” Jack and I talked through dinner, and got to know each other better. He lived in the apartment on the ground floor with his mother.

It was dark outside by the time we left and I was ready to fall asleep. I said a sleepy goodbye to Jack at the bottom of the stairs and headed to my apartment. I trudged up the stairs and sat down on the couch; I closed my eyes and laid down.