It Happens to the Best of People

I Hate Surprises

When I got home, I went straight upstairs to my room. The second I set foot in my room, I stopped. I looked around for a minute before rushing downstairs to find my dad.

“Dad, please don’t tell me that our house guest was not in my room.” I said.

“I showed him around the house.”

“Dad, you know that I don’t like people in my room, especially when I’m not home. Couldn’t it have at least waited until I got back?”

“I know and I’m sorry. But he knows not to go in your room.”

“Okay. Good.” I started to make my way back upstairs. “Wait a minute, you said him and he. Our house guest is a guy?”

“Yeah.” My dad said nodding his head.

“You could’ve mentioned it this morning.”

“I didn’t think it would be a problem. Now Mya, I need you to be on your best behavior. Be nice.”

“Dad…”

“Mya, I don’t need a repeat of that incident.”

“She started it.” I pointed out.

“I don’t care. Now I want you to be nice. I know how you are.”

“Okay, fine.” I sighed. “But I don’t like this at all.”

“Um, excuse me. I don’t mean to interrupt.” A voice said.

“Oh, don’t worry about it.”

“Yeah, I’m just about to leave anyways.” I turned around and stopped dead in my tracks.

“Aaron, this is my daughter Mya. Mya this is our house guest, Aaron Johnson.”

“Hey.” He smiled.

“Hey.” I said quietly. I stood there thinking if this was a good thing or not before making my way to my room. Sure, Aaron Johnson is staying in house for a couple of months. What girl wouldn’t be happy? To get my mind off all of this, I started looking through my CDs, trying to find the perfect song to get my mind off my current situation.

“You don’t look like the type of girl who listens to this kinda stuff.“ A voice said. Startled, I jumped, dropping all the CDs in my hand.

“Crap.” I said.
Aaron makes his way over and helps me pick them up. “Some variety you have here.” He says. I take the Cds from him and put a From First to Last cd in the stereo. Aaron takes a seat on my bed.
“No offense, but why are you in here?” I ask trying to hide my frustration, which failed miserably

He smirks at me. “Why do I get the feeling that you don’t want me here?” He stands up and looks me dead in the eye. I was quiet for a minute. He slowly took a couple of steps towards me. “Or is it something else?” He grinned.
“Uh, no.” I said pushing him away. “Don’t jump to conclusions.” I said trying not to sound nervous. “I just wasn’t expecting a house guest this summer.”

“In other words you don’t want me here.” He said. “That’s odd most girls would kill to be in your position right now.”

“Well, I’m not like other girls.” I said a bit irritated by his cocky attitude. Which was really starting to annoy me more by the second.

“Yeah, that’s true.” He was quiet for a minute.

“Is that all you wanted?” I asked.

“You know I heard you talking to your dad just a minute ago.” He says.

“Okay and your point?”

“It’s obvious that you don’t want me here.”

“Okay, so what. I don’t want you here. There are you happy now.” I snapped. “Of course I don’t want some conceited celebrity here.” This is why I hated when dad brought home the actors he has to work with. They were all full of themselves. It’s sickening.

“Well, it’s not like I want to be around a selfish brat all summer.” Aaron said back.

“For the record, you don’t even know me.” I said.

“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what kind of person you are. And from what I see, you have to have things go your way. If they don’t nobody’s happy.” He said before leaving my room.

This was going to be one long summer. Just great.