Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 42

I made it back to my dorm in about ten minutes' time and was greeted by 3 faces. Vic, Mel, and Nick were all standing, arms folded when I walked in the door.

I rolled my eyes at them.

“What?” I asked after a while as I checked the contents of my bag, remembering I had already packed it earlier in the morning.

“Where were you?” Vic asked in an obvious tone.

“I was in the gym. I went for a walk and ended up there. Is that a crime?” I asked to all of them.

“No, but you could have called”, Mel said in a slightly upset tone.

“I'm sorry”, I said turning towards them as I stared from Vic to Mel, and finally Nick. He wore a blank expression to me.

“Why the gym?” he asked in an emotionless tone.

“I don't know. I just ended up there”, I replied honestly.

His eyes searched my own and I knew this was something bigger than he was assuming it to be.

“Were you with anyone?” he asked.

“No! Why?” I asked incredulously.

“I'm just asking”, he answered in a cold tone before brushing past me and out of the door.

“OK-” I began, but Vic cut across me.

“-what is his problem?” she finished.

“I don't know. It's like he thought you were seeing someone else”, Mel added.

“But Rose isn't like that. Not at all”, Vic defended in a calm tone, surprising me again.

I turned from both of them, returning my attention to my bag as I slung it over my shoulder before I, too, walked out of the door to Nick's dorm.

I knocked a couple of times before he answered the door.

“What?” he asked with an attitude.

“What's your problem?” I asked in the same tone.

“Why would you go to the gym of all places, Rose?” he asked in a cold tone.

I wrinkled my brows in confusion.

“I told you, I just ended up there”, I answered defensively, folding my arms across my chest.

“With Jake, right?” he asked suddenly.

“What? No!” I exclaimed in disgust.

“Then, answer me this. Why did Jake call me to tell me that you were in the gym the same time he was there?” he asked.

I thought the matter over, not being able to recall anyone in the gym.

“What the hell is he talking about? When I went in there, the gym was empty! Or at least I thought it was! I didn't know anyone was in there! Honestly, I didn't!” I said honestly.

Nick eyes me skeptically before speaking.

“Alright. I'm sorry”, he said after a minute.

“Whatever”, I scoffed, pissed that he even would think I would do that to him.

I walked away from him, out towards the exit of the dorm building. I didn't want to talk to anyone, so the entire day, I didn't. I didn't talk to Mel, Nick, or Vic. I was pissed.

During lunch, I sat by my tree as I thought about Nick and how he overreacted like that. I closed my eyes for a moment as I thought back to our first kiss by this very tree, a smile forming as I thought of it.

“That's an odd thing to do”, Jake said, scaring me.

I'd jumped a little, opening my eyes, glaring at him. I was mad at him.

“Why did you call Nick?” I asked heatedly.

“Well, you were in the gym, near water and somehow fell asleep. What else was I supposed to do? Let you sit there?” he asked.

“Uh, yeah! That's what people do when they're in deep thought”, I said as though he were stupid.

“Don't talk down to me, Rose! Yell at your boyfriend if you're mad at somebody. I was only looking out for you!” he said heatedly.

“Whatever, Jake. You know you tried to put Nick and I against each other. You're just as manipulative as Vic was”, I retorted.

“Was? You think Vic isn't the same manipulative slimeball that you know? Jeez, Rose. You've gotten soft”, he sneered.

I stared open-mouthed at him before composing myself.

“Vic has changed! She's a good person now!” I defended but I felt my stomach tie in knots as I uttered the words.

“Don't be surprised when you're betrayed again”, he said in a calm tone.

“What does that mean?” I asked in confusion. I knew what he meant, but this time the words seemed to have a deeper meaning than he said it.

Jake opened his mouth to speak, but Vic cut across him.

“Hey! Leave Rose alone!” she yelled from a few yards away.

Jake stared at Vic, then back at me and I could have sworn I saw the anger in his eyes when he looked at her, but I must have been imagining it.

“Remember what I said, Rose. I'm not doing this to be an ass. I'm doing this to warn you”, he said quickly before taking off just as Vic made it near me.

“And stay away, asshole!” she cried before turning to me.

“Are you OK?” she asked with a sympathetic expression.

“Yeah”, I answered, staring after Jake, seeing him going into the D.A.B.

“What did he say?” she asked, an angry expression on her face.

“Nothing”, I lied.

Vic pursed her lips, then sighed, lacing arms with me as she pulled me back to the cafeteria.

“Whatever it was, don't feed into it. Jake's a liar, no matter what”, she said.

At this point, I knew it was only ironic for her to say that.



Later that day, the four of us were in the Student Lounge near the arcade area having a grand old time. I had to do a few double-takes in my mind to be able to get the thought accepted in my mind. Vic was hanging out with us in front of the student body. Wow.

“You did a great job that night, Nick”, Vic said after a while.

We stared at Nick as a modest smile appeared on his lips.

“Thanks. It's all thanks to Rose, though”, he said, winking at me.

I blinked in shock.

“What? Why me?” I asked.

“Because if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have had the courage to sing in front of everyone”, he said earnestly, placing a hand on top of my own, lacing them together.

“Aww!” Mel cooed, teasing us.

Vic sat in silence, but smiled all the while. I was surprised by this as well.

“Did you want to get some drinks, Rose?” Mel offered, standing, a smile on her lips as well.

I nodded in agreement.

“Diet Coke for you, baby? Or would you want orange juice?” I asked.

“Orange juice would be great”, he answered politely, smiling at me.

I placed a quick kiss on his lips before turning to Vic.

“And let me guess. Whatever I'm getting, right?” I asked with a brow raised.

“No. I'll take an orange juice, too”, she replied in a sweet tone making my stomach drop for some reason.

“Uh, OK. We'll be right back”, Mel said in the same tone I was thinking.

As soon as we were a few feet away from Vic and Nick, she spoke.

“Well, that was weird”, she said.

“Yeah, it was”, I said, thinking of the matter.

“Maybe it was a coincidence?” Mel tried. I nodded my head in agreement.

“Maybe. It's best not to think too much into it, right?” I asked.

“Yeah”, Mel replied uncertainly.

”What if I wanted to break?
Laugh it all up in your face,
what would you do?

What if I fell to the floor,
couldn't take this anymore?
What would you do, do, do?-”


My phone rung, causing my heart to sink. It was my Dad. I answered with a shaky tone.

“Hey, Dad. Everything OK?” I asked, but I stopped because I heard him sniff, then sigh deeply.

“Rosalina, honey... Mom's gone. H-her heart gave out. They lost her”, he said before breaking down entirely.

Suddenly, I began to hyperventilate as I, too broke down. My mom was dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I killed Rose's mom off. :(

It was a hard thing for me to do. My own mother died on November 6, 1990, five days after I was born, so, I felt like I had to do the same to Rose since her character is sort of based off of me.

What do you guys think? I'm stepping up my game, right? 1,357 words this chapter. That's a LOT for me. lol

Anyways, please don't forget to comment and subscribe. The next update will hopefully be Wednesday or Friday. ^_^