Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

twenty-four

"Good evening," I said as I walked into work Saturday night. "How are you?"

My boss looked up at me, "I'm well. How are you?"

"Very well," I smiled.

"We have a big group coming in tonight," my boss informed me. "There is a group of about 25 that just made reservations for six."

I frowned a bit. "What name was it made under?" I asked. I knew the boys had practice or something in the morning, but nothing going on that night.

"Catary."

"Oh, I thought maybe they were people I knew, but I guess not." I said before heading to the back room to put my stuff away and get ready for work.

I started helping Marcy cut the vegetables, while Thomas and Joan worked on desserts. I loved preparing for large groups. It always made things fast paced, which I also loved. I was so concentrated on what I was doing that I didn't even notice six o'clock roll around until a very large order was placed.

Marcy and I worked on the main courses while Thomas and Joan worked on the appitizers, soups and salads.

"How are your hockey friends?" Marcy asked as we worked.

"Pains," I replied with a smile. "But I don't mind. They keep telling me that they are going to come here one night. When Barb told me that there was a big group coming tonight, I thought maybe it would be them, but the name the reservation was under wasn't familiar."

"Maybe they put it under a new teammates name," Marcy suggested.

"No," I shook my head, while adding the finishing touches to the main courses I made. "I have met the new guys, none of them were named Catary."

"Maybe they are tricking you," Marcy said as we handed our meals to the waitress.

"What do you mean?" I asked as we started the next orders.

"Maybe they made up the name, you know, so that you didn't know it was them," Marcy explained.

"Ha," I smiled. "They aren't that brilliant. Well maybe Sid is, but definitely not Max, Letang or Jord."

"You never know," Marcy shrugged. "Maybe they had a intelligent moment."

"True," I agreed.

We continued to talk and work and before we knew it the restaurant was closed. We quickly cleaned the kitchen before leaving.

I made my way to my car and got in. I was tired and wanted to get home and have a good night sleep. I started my car, which quickly died. I frowned a bit and tried again. I got the same results. "Fudge pudding," I muttered as I pulled out my phone. I didn't feel comfortable getting out of my car at eleven at night so I decided to call one of the guys. I quickly dialed Kris's number and let the phone ring. He didn't answer, so I hung up and tried Max. Fortunitely he answered.

"Hey," Max said.

"Thank goodness you answered," I said with a sigh of relief.

"How come?" Max asked. I could hear his voice getting worried.

"My car is being dumb and won't start," I told him. "Do you think you might be able to come pick me up? I'll buy you coffee or something." I offered.

"Of course," Max replied with a laugh. "Are you at work still?"

"I am," I said. "Thank-you so much."

"No problem, I'll be there in a few," Max said before hanging up.

I sat in my car waiting for Max to show up. Suddenly my phone started vibrating, making me jump. I picked it up to find a text from Kris asking me why I called. I sent him a message back saying that my car wasn't starting and that Max was coming to pick me up so he didn't need to worry. Almost as soon as the message sent, Max pulled into the parking lot. I grabbed my belongings and made my way to his car. "Thank-you for doing this, Max," I said as I got into the car.

"Really Brylyn, it's no big deal," Max smiled. "So where to?"

"Um, my place," I said. "I don't think I have anywhere else to go."

"How about we go get that coffee you offered," Max suggested. "Seeing as you have street clothes on, you don't have to change."

"Sure," I shrugged.

"So where for coffee?" Max said as we drove out of the lot.

"Where ever," I said. "I don't usually drink coffee, so I don't know any good places."

"Great," Max smiled. "I know a place."