Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

three

The next morning, Nicola and I ended up arguing about me moving to New York.

"Come on, Brylyn," Nicola whined. "He's offering you a place to stay for free. What could be better than that?"

"Maybe knowing the person," I suggested. "There is no way I am moving in with a stranger."

"Brylyn," Nicola said, "give it a chance. Eric said he's a sweet heart, although he sometimes causes trouble, but I'm sure that's nothing to worry about. Think about it, you will be able to practice cooking for more than just yourself."

"Fine," I finally gave in, "but if something goes wrong, I'm blaming it on you."

"Yay!" she exclaimed.

Several hours later, I had instructions and was heading to New York. My iPod blaring through my speakers to keep me from dozing off.

Around nine hours later, I had found Marc Staal's apartment. It was almost 10 pm. I felt bad for showing up so late at night, but I didn't want to pay for a hotel.
I got to the door of the apartment and knocked. A boy with brown hair opened to door. "Can I help you?" he asked.

"Um," I fought for the right words. "I'm looking for Marc Staal?" I said this like it was a question. I had no idea what I was doing there.

"Hold on," the boy smiled, "I'll go get him."

"Thanks," I muttered.

A few seconds later a red headed boy, much taller than me, came to the door and looked at me. "You must be Brylyn."

I nodded, "yea, Marc right?"

"Yes," Marc smiled. "Come in, I'll introduce you to some of the guys and then show you around." I followed him to the living room area. It had a couch and a couple of arm chairs. "Guys, this is Brylyn. She's my new roommate. I don't know too much about her, but I'm sure she's great. She's going to culinary school."

I smiled and gave a little nod.

"Brylyn, this is Sean Avery, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Michael Del Zotto, and your other roommate, Brandon Dubinsky." He said pointing to each guy. The one who answered the door was Brandon, the other roommate.

I nodded, trying to remember all their names.

"I'll show you the rest of the place," he said, leading me away from the guys. "This is the kitchen. Down this hall is the bathroom to the left, Brandon's room to the right. Further down is my room on the right and your new room on the left. Hopefully you like it."

I walked into the room he told me was mine. It had a queen size bed against the wall and a desk against the wall opposite it. There was a mirror on the wall and an closet beside it. "It's great," I smiled. "It's better than any room I have ever had."

"Yea right," Marc laughed.

"No really," I nodded, "it is. It's really comfortable looking too."

"Great," Marc smiled like he was named the king of the world. "I'm going back to the living room. You can unpack and if you want to hang out with us you can. If you want to go to bed, go ahead. Make yourself at home."

"Thank-you Marc," I said sincerely. "This means a lot to me."

He nodded and pulled me into a hug, "it's no problem, really." Then he walked away letting me get comfortable in my new room.