Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

thirty-six

"All they do is frustrate me," I complained as Kris drove me to the police station. We had already gone shopping and Kris had insisted that we go to the police station and show them the note. "They haven't done anything to help me yet, so why even continue to try?"

"I don't want to see you killed," Kris replied pulling into the parking lot. We got out and made our way to the front desk.

"Can I help you?" the lady asked.

"I was wondering if Officer Schmidt was in today," I said.

"One moment," she smiled. "I'll page him." She punched some numbers into the phone beside her. "He should be down shortly. You can take a seat."

"Thank-you," I said. I turned and walked to the chairs they had set up. I sat down beside Kris, who seemed to be deep in thought. "What's up?" I asked him.

"Huh?" Kris looked at me. "Oh, nothing. I was just thinking."

"What about?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Nothing of any importance right now," Kris said as Officer Schmidt walked into the waiting room.

"Ms. Macabbey, Mr. Letang," the officer addressed us. "What can I do for you two?"

"Yesterday, I came home from work to this note taped to my door," I said, handing him the note. "I've been trying to think about who could have wrote it, but I really can't come up with anyone."

"Why didn't you come in last night?" Officer Schmidt asked.

"It was nearly midnight by the time I got home," I replied. "I knew you weren't working, so I didn't call. I haven't been in my apartment since I noticed the note, but I don't think anyone was in it."

The officer nodded. "I'll see what we can do, but I'm not guaranteeing anything."

"That's fine," I nodded. "Kris thought I should tell you, so I did."

"Kris is a smart man," the officer smirked. "Thank-you. I'll be in contact soon."

"Ok, thanks," I said before turning on my heels and heading for the door with Kris behind me. Once we got in the car I turned to Kris. "How much do you want to bet he doesn't call?"

Kris chuckled a bit before pulling out of the parking lot. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "I think I'd like to go see Max, if that's alright with you. I'm sure he'll give me ride to work."

"For sure," Kris nodded as he headed in the direction of Max's house.

"Do you guys have a practice tonight?" I asked.

"Yea," Kris said. "It's until eight, I think."

"Ok," I looked out the window. "I might call for a ride. It depends on what Max and I plan for tonight."

"I'm always here for you, Bry," Kris told me. He parked in front of Max's house. "Look, Bry, I was thinking, maybe you could really move into my apartment. For good, you know. Move all your stuff over to my place."

"Really?" I looked at him. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yea, I am," Kris nodded. "I think I would feel a lot better about everything if you lived in my apartment. I really don't want to see you hurt."

"Is that all?" I raised my eyebrows. "Or do you really just want someone to cook for you?"

"Well," Kris laughed, "that might be part of it, but, seriously, I want to be able to know you are ok at all times."

"I'll think about it, ok?" I said.

Kris nodded and gave me a quick hug before I got out of the car and walked to Max's door. I knocked and waited for Max to open the door. Within seconds, the door swung open, revealing Max. He had on a pair of jeans and a white tee-shirt. His hair was wet, indicating he had just had a shower.

"Hey," Max said, moving aside to let me in. "How are you doing?"

"I'm ok," I said. I looked at him and smiled. "How are you?"

"Worried," Max confessed.

"About what?" I pushed.

"You," Max said.

"Oh," I said. I looked at my feet.

"So, do you want to do something?" Max asked with a smirk. "Or are you going to stand at the door all afternoon looking at your feet?"

I looked up at him and smiled. "Can we go for a walk?" I felt the sudden need for exercise.

"Sure," Max nodded. "There is a park a couple blocks away. Want to head over there?"

"Definitely," I smiled as we left the house. "Can you give me a ride to and from work?"

"Of course," Max nodded.

"Do you want to hang out after I'm done?" I asked. "You can totally say no."

"I would love to do something," Max smiled down at me while wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "Do you want to just chill and watch movies?"

"You know, that sounds great," I replied.

"Good, I'll have to remember to order pizza then."

"Oh, I love pizza."

"I had a feeling you did."

"Max, is there something on your mind?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Well, yea," Max said. "I was thinking, you know, since we are dating, we are dating right?" I nodded because I had assumed we were. "Good. So maybe you would like to, I don't know, be my girlfriend?"

I started laughing. "Really Max?" I said. Max's face looked shocked and a little hurt. "That was the longest 'will you be my girlfriend' speech ever." I continued to laugh. "Of course I'll be your girlfriend, but you have to tell me something."

"Anything," Max replied. He had a huge smile on his face.

"Do you think the police will ever find the person?"
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry the last couple sucked, I had a really good one going and then my computer decided to restart and I don't remember what I wrote. I hope the next one is better.