‹ Prequel: Another Lost Highway

The Long Road

Trouble in Paradise

'Gees, your back early.' Adrienne said from the kitchen when we walked into the house. But she stopped when she saw the look on our faces. 'What's wrong? Did something happen?'

Hamish explained what happened while Justin paced up and down the living room, fist still bunched up. I noticed that his knuckles were red. Red from Pete's blood. I cringed a the look on Justin's face. I was afraid he would lash out again at any minute. I knew he had gotten into some huge fights years ago, but he had never lashed out over a girl.

But then a thought hit me. Was Justin, the clown, the goofy one that never took anything serious, in love? It didn't seem possible for someone like him to be serious about someone, but I guess this was one of those surprises that hit you in life.

'Justin, I understand why you were upset, but punching him was completely unnecessary.' Adrienne said in a serious voice. 'I have no idea what's going to happen when you show your face there again.'

'I know! I know.' Justin said, the anger dying from his voice as he spoke. He looked up at Katie, who was looking at him in a confused way.

'I just - I just-' Justin stuttered, the light in his eyes dying away. 'I just need to be alone for a moment.'

And with that he walked out of the room in the direction of the basement. We all listened in silence as we heard the basement door slam. Katie sat down on the couch and put her head in her hands. I walked up to Adrienne.

'Adie, what are we gonna do? Justin didn't mean it, well I don't think he did, but we'll be in serious shit next time we go there.'

'Well, I don't know Leslie. You guys will just have to figure it out for yourselves. I'll let you know when dinner's ready, okay honey?'

Adrienne patted my shoulder and left us alone in the room. We sat down next to Katie, not talking at all. I patted Katie on the back.

'Are you gonna be okay?' I asked softly as Katie sat up.

'Yeah, I will.' Katie sighed. 'It's just that it all happened so quickly. One minute I'm just walking past Pete, and the next he's shoving his tongue down my throat.'

We all cringed at the thought of Pete's tongue down any girl's throat.

'And just to let you know, Pete's a crap kisser.' Katie said into the silence.

'Well, no shit!' Harry said.

Katie chuckled and sat back, hugging a pillow like a little kid.

'But, the thing is, I think Justin likes me. Alot.'

'Well, he's liked you for a while.' Hamish said. 'He said he liked you from the moment you guys first met three years ago.'

'But why didn't he just tell me?' Katie questioned.

'You know what Justin's like.' I responded. 'He never was really into the whole romance thing. But he seriously has it bad for you.'

'But what about you?' Harry asked. 'Do you like him?'

Katie looked around at us nervously and blushed. 'Well, kind of - I mean - yeah. I really like him.'

'Then just go up to him and say I 'love you too!''' Hamish said, looking at Katie simply.

'You don't just go up to people and just say that!' I replied. 'There's always a place, and there's always a time.' I started wondering if there would ever be a place and time for Joey and I.

'Well, what place and time?' Katie asked, bringing me back to my senses.

We sat there for a little while, trying to think of a possible place and time. But nothing came to mind.

Suddenly, Billie came into the room, holding an envelope in his hand.

'Hey guys! I just got an invitation to a partay at Pat Mangarella's house on Friday. Joey, Mike and Tre are coming as well. You wanna come?'

I suddenly jumped up and grinned at Billie.

'Billie Joe Armstrong, you are a genius! You can tell him there!' I added, turning to Katie.

'I guess so. A party would be the best place.' Katie said, smiling to herself.

'Tell who what? What's happening?' Billie asked, looking confused.

I turned back to Billie and shrugged. 'I guess you'll see when we go!'
♠ ♠ ♠
YOu lke so far?? Leave a comment and so on! ;)