Majesty Castle

Chapter 5

The light from the lantern flickered as it began to dim. The castle was quiet and cold. It was late and there were only two still awake…. or so they thought.

She a servant and he of noble blood, it was forbidden for them to be together. His father would never allow it. She was to serve him and he was to marry within his class. When that day came, she would serve him and his bride. They lie in a tangled mess of sheets and blankets in his bed.

“Where are you going?” he asked as she rose from his bed.

“I have to go back to the servant’s chambers before it’s too late,” she whispered.

“Stay with me tonight Nina, no one will know you are here.”

“They will know I wasn’t in my room and what will I have as an answer?”

“I’m sure you can come up with something clever, it wouldn’t be the first time,” he said pulling her back down on the bed.

“James, I must go. I have to be up in a few hours to serve breakfast.” She pulled away from him and pulled her nightgown over her head. When she stood, he stood up with her and walked her to the door.

“Someday we won’t have to sneak around anymore, I promise you that,” he whispered from behind her.

“I wish that were true, but you and I both know that we will never be.” She reached for the doorknob and opened the door, but he wasn’t going to let her leave just yet. They stood in the doorway and kissed one last time before they parted. Nina took her lantern and went back to the servant’s chambers. Little did either of them know, they were being watched. In the doorway down the hall, Peter, James’s father, watched as James kissed Nina goodbye before closing his bedroom door. Peter forbade James to be with Nina as she was beneath him in stature. When morning came, he would make both of them realized their mistake.

Peter was a bitter man, the first of five sons. His father was a man of great wealth and power, one that wasn’t dared to be crossed. At just 18 years old, Peter himself, fell in love with Emily, a young maid of only 16. After one year of hiding their love for each other, Peter told his father of his feelings. His father immediately dismissed their relationship and told Peter that he was to never be with her again. Peter was to marry a lady not a maid. He defied his father and continued to sneak around with Emily, but that only earned him many lashes with a leather whip at the hands of his father. Emily became pregnant and the two lovers were going to run off and be married, but Peter's father found out and had Emily sent away until the birth of the baby.

After James was born, Peter never saw Emily again. She was sold to the highest bidder and the baby was brought home to Peter. This would be one of many family secrets. A story was created so that the family name wouldn’t be tarnished. It was told that Peter met a young Baroness on holiday and they married shortly after. She was to have died during childbirth. James was not to be told of his mother’s true identity. This would be a secret kept by all 5 brothers. Peter never married, nor did he ever love again.

James being the oldest of the five grandsons, one would think he would be the one primed to be the next King and not Matthew, but his father’s secret would rob him of his crown. His grandfather knowing his heritage took away his birth right. Kings were supposed to be of noble blood and in his eyes; James was as bastard born of a peasant.

Peter’s four brothers were in on the secret and together, the five of them came up with a story for when James was old enough to ask the obvious question. They had told him that to be King, both of his parents had to be born in this country, which was true, however they told him his mother was a Baroness from a foreign land and that disqualified him.

Now a man, James never questioned his elders. Nor did he ever try and dispute the story they all told him when he was younger, but as with all secrets, eventually, they all come to light. With “Grandfather” now gone, it was a matter of time before all of the family skeletons walked out of the closets of Majesty Castle and out into the open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Character chapter intros are done. The Story will start in Chapter 6 :)