Majesty Castle

Chapter 49

The month went quickly with each day and night that passed. Matthew and Allegra kept to themselves while mourning their loss and helping each other heal. Every one else in the house seemed to follow the same path in keeping to themselves.

With Allegra’s recovery on the fast track, Etta’s services were no longer needed, but Johnny convinced her to stay with him. Zakk and Candace had purchased some land with a small castle on it and a guesthouse that they offered to Johnny. It seemed that they too were tired of life at Majesty Castle and the horror that lived deep within its walls. They too planned to leave Majesty Castle after the ball.

For Nikki, his hopes of having a shot at love were crushed. Just as Brian had predicted, his mother picked up and moved again like the gypsy she was. Nikki asked her to stay and even offered to marry her, but there are some people in life that cannot be tied down. With Brian and Simone leaving for the forte after the ball, Brian asked Nikki to come and stay with them until he could find a place of his own. Nikki agreed bearing in mind that happiness would come to no one that lived at Majesty Castle.

Peter seemed to have hardened his heart over the last month. Since Allegra had come into their lives, he was more relaxed and easier to be around. With the news of her leaving, he seemed to be returning to his old ways. It wasn’t easy for the two of them at first, but they did eventually become great friends and he loved her like he did his own child. Though he would never reveal his feelings and give up his hard edge, on the inside he was deeply hurting. It was like loosing Nicolette all over again.

James was conflicted. Although he’d been quiet through all the drama and stayed out of every possible conflict, he still felt everything that everyone was going through. He’d spent a lot of time thinking and looking at things from an outside perspective. After a lengthy talk with Matthew, James purchased a cottage neighboring his friend. No good would come to anyone who lived in Majesty and with that thought in mind, James gave up his dream that his mother was still alive and would come back for him one day. He’d be leaving his father, but in truth, his father may have been visibly present, but he was never really there. Even with the progress they had made, James was beginning to think that it was too little too late.

Jon had become a recluse. He lived his life in one of the spare bedchambers of the castle and never even came down for dinner. He’d become estranged from Rosalie after all she had said and done to their children. For all the time that she had been his wife, he’d sat back and let her have her way which made him just as bad as her. It was ironic how it worked out for Jon. He and his wife had stolen a baby and his own son had lost his child and all hope of ever having children. Karma came back to him in a big way and the end result was Jon losing both his children and ending up like his father was just before he died. A bitter, lonely old man.

Rosalie had spent the last month planning for the ball. She’d pretty much taken over the household, which only added to everyone’s staying out of sight mentality. There hadn’t been a single attempt on Fawn and the baby from Rosalie and Zacky wasn’t sure if it was because Luke was gone or because Rosalie was waiting until the night of the ball when the house would be filled with so many people that there would be more opportunity to poison her. Keeping that in mind, Zacky decided that he had no choice but to ask for help from the one person he hadn’t spoken to in more than a decade.

Zacky stood outside the door and wished he had worn a coat as the fall’s bitter chill washed over him. He rang the doorbell secretly hoping that no one was home so he could turn around and leave. No such luck though. The door opened.

“Can I um…Can I come in?”

Glenn stepped aside and held the door open. Zacky walked inside and stood in the foyer. When his father closed the door, he walked into the sitting room and sat down on the couch with Zacky following behind. It was abundantly clear that Zacky was uncomfortable. He took a seat across from his father on the other couch and folded his hands in his lap.

“Surely, you didn’t come here just to sit on my couch,” Glenn said.

“No,” Zacky shook his head.

“Out with it then.”

Zacky sighed and looked at his father. “I know I have no right, but I came to ask for help.”

“What makes you think you have no right? I’m your father, now spit it out.”

“It’s Fawn,” he said quietly.

“The baby?”

“Sort of. You see, tonight there is a masquerade. Matthew is supposed to ascend at midnight and there have been some strange things happening at the castle.”

“What kind of things?”

Zacky’s chest started to tighten. “Well that whole thing with Fawn and Nikki. It was a set up that Luke made happen. Allegra had an accident and lost her baby because Luke provoked her horse. She almost died. Luke did something really bad to Johnny. So bad I can’t even repeat it, but that’s not even the worst of it. He struck a deal with Rosalie. She’s going to poison Fawn. She’s going to try and kill my wife and child and I think it’s going to happen tonight.”

Glenn crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Where is Luke now?”

“Dead.”

Glenn didn’t ask for an explanation. He didn’t need one; the look on Zacky’s face had said it all.
“I was hoping you would come to the ball just to have an extra set of eyes protecting Fawn, but there is something else I need to ask.”

“I’m waiting.”

“We don’t want the baby to be born at Majesty. Fawn wants to have the baby here. I mean, if you’ll have us of course.”

The maid brought a tray with Coffee and Danish and set it down on the table. Glenn fixed himself a cup of coffee and made the gesture to Zacky that he should do the same.

“It’s a ridiculous notion that you would think you and your wife wouldn’t be welcome in my home.”

Zacky set his coffee cup down on the table and looked at his father curiously. “I just thought that you know…well…I mean …like ….you know…”

“You just thought that since that little argument all those years ago that I’d never welcome you into my home ever again. You are a fool. That day I was angry, very angry, but never would I have denied you. I waited, figuring eventually you would come to me and offer me an explanation. I waited figuring that you would come to me and make an attempt at helping me understand what was happening in your life. I waited and you never came. Had you done that, I would have spoke my peace and let it go.”

Zacky seemed a little offended. “So, you denied me a father all of these years because I never came and gave you an explanation?”

“No,” Glenn shook his head. “You denied yourself a father all of these years because you were stubborn and selfish. I never would have cut you out of my life no matter what you could have done to anger me. You cut yourself out of my life and not just mine, but your own sister’s as well. You’re a complete stranger to her.”

“I guess I owe you an apology,’ Zacky said feeling overcome with guilt.

“What’s done is done. Forget it and move on. I’ll send some carriages over to Majesty to collect your things after the ball. This can be your home for as long as you want it to be.”

“Just like that?”

Glenn leaned forward and picked up a danish. “I left Majesty Castle many many years ago for a reason, Zacky. That place brings harm to all who inhabit it. It is my truest belief that your mother would be here today had it not been for that place. You were so hell bent on living there that I had no choice other than to let you stay there and find out for yourself exactly what that place can do to its dwellers. So, yes, just like that. This can be your home if you want it.”

“I want it,” Zacky nodded.

“So be it,” Glenn stood. “I’ve got an appointment to keep. I’ll see you at the ball.” He started to walk out of the room and Zacky stopped him.

“Dad?”

“Yes?” Glenn stood looking back over his shoulder.

“I …I just wanted to say that I …I…”

“I love you too,” Glenn said and walked out of the room without looking back. Zacky leaned back against the couch and covered his face with his hands. Everything his father said was true. He was selfish because of Luke and didn’t care about anyone but himself. If he’d only been considerate enough to give his father five minutes of his time, this could have all been avoided.

About an hour later, Zacky arrived back at Majesty only to find his wife resting up in their bedroom while Nina kept her company. Nina excused herself and left when he walked in and Zacky pulled a chair over to the bed and sat down.

“I went to see my father today.”

Fawn sat up and looked at him wide eyed. “How did it go?”

“It went better than I thought it would.”

“Just like you to keep me in suspense.”

Zacky laughed. “He’s sending a carriage for our things. We’re leaving after the ball.”

Fawn got off the bed and waddled over to her husband and sat in his lap. “That’s the best news I’ve ever heard!”

“Everything is going to get better from now on, I promise you,” he told her.

“I believe you.” Fawn put her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Are you ready for the masquerade?”

“Well,” Fawn said looking down at her belly. “I’m pretty sure even with a masque everyone will know who I am.”

Zacky laughed again and put his hand on her stomach. “I can’t wait to be a father.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The clock has started ticking....it's the final count down!