Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

When We First Met

"Alex, thank you for taking me out," I smiled as we walked to his car. Jack was upstairs in my room, probably watching us as we left.

"You're welcome, babe," He grinned, leaning down to kiss my cheek. Feeling his lips on my cheek caused butterflies to form and fly around in my stomach.

He opened my door and I slid in, "Thank you."

He nodded his head and closed the door. I watched as he walked around the front of the car and get into the drivers side.

I looked up at my bedroom window and saw Jack peaking out the curtains, watching us. Jack caught me staring and waved down at me. I smiled back up at him.

Alex got in the car and I quickly shifted my vision from Jack to my hands. I felt so guilty about doing this.

I didn't feel bad for Jack at all. He knew I was seeing Alex. He was the one who wanted us to be doing this in the first place.

I just felt so bad for Alex. Apparently the guy's been in love with me since the day Mrs. Lynett sat us next to each other in fifth grade.

I remember that day perfectly - I walked into the classroom quietly with my mother right behind me. When I saw everyone staring at me, I sank into my mother's legs, trying to escape. My mother pushed me in the classroom and made me walk over to Mrs. Lynett's desk to hand her my papers. I had handed her the papers timidly, my hands shaking like little leaves during a thunderstorm. She just smiled at me and took my papers. She nodded her head at my mom, signaling that it was okay for her to leave. My mother left the classroom with a smile on her face, knowing that I was in good hands.

Mrs. Lynett walked over to an empty desk and leaned down to a small boy's height, "Can she sit right here?" She asked the boy, patting the seat across from him.

The boy looked over at me, scanned me over and nodded his head.

Mrs. Lynett motioned for me to come and sit. I walked over to the desk nervously. I was super shy, especially around boys. I took my backpack off and hung it on the back of the chair. I climbed into the chair and stared at my hands, twiddling my thumbs together.

I looked up and saw the boy staring at me. He smiled when he saw that I was looking at him, "Hi, I'm Alex!"

His accent was adorable. He was from Britain.

"I'm Rachel," I smiled shyly. I looked down at my hands again, trying desperately to avoid any other conversation.

"I remember when I was the new kid," He giggled. "It was actually two years ago."

I looked up at him, "Really? Do you like it here?"

"Yeah! Maryland's great!" He smiled widely. The rest of the day was spent talking to him and getting to know the ropes about this new school. He told me who to stay clear of, what the best food in the cafeteria was, and who the coolest kids were.


"Rachel," Alex's voice sailed throughout the car.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at him, "What?"

"Did you space out or something?" He laughed. "I mean, you were staring off at something."

"Sorry, I was just thinking of the day we first met," I smiled. "Can you do your accent, please?"

"What, why?" He laughed, using his accent.

"Because, it's adorable. I kinda wish it didn't fade," I sighed, remembering when he slowly lost the accent. He came back from a trip to Florida one summer and it was gone. It was sad.

"Aww, I can talk in it the rest of the night, if you want?" He asked, still speaking in it.

"Nah. It gets annoying after a while," I joked.

He reached over and shoved me playfully, "Shush."

I laughed and stuck my tongue out at him, "Where are we going anyway?"

"That's a surprise," He said, turning to me and winking.

"What is with you and surprises?"

"I like 'em."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. I laid my head back on the headrest and watched as the neon lights of the city mix together.

Alex pulled into a parking garage and quickly found a parking space. He cut the engine and turned to me, "Let's go."

I opened my door, grabbing my purse and stepped out of the car. Alex walked over to me and held out his hand. I grabbed it, smiling brightly.

We walked out of the parking garage, hand in hand. We darted across the busy little street quickly, hoping not to get run over.

Alex led the way, weaving in and out of the groups of people. We walked around the little center for about fifteen minutes before arriving at the a restaurant.

I glanced up at the sign on the building. Romano's Macaroni Grill was written in big, green letters.

Alex pulled me into the building and I was soon engulfed by the smell of chicken, wine, and pasta. The air was filled with casual conversation between everyone at their own little tables. Mothers happily sipped on wine while their child scribbled on the little menu.

A waitress walked up to the front and smiled at Alex and I, "Table for two?"

Alex nodded and the cheery girl pulled out two menus. She motioned for us to follow her. We followed her, making our way through the crowded room.

She set down the menus at a small booth, "Okay, Monica will be your server today."

I slid in on one side while Alex slid in on the opposite side. We looked over the menus, trying to decide if we wanted an appetizer or not.

A bubbly waitress walked over to our table with a smile on her face, "Hi, I'm Monica and I will be your server today. Can I start you guys off with something to drink?"

I placed my menu down, "I'll have a raspberry iced tea, please."

She nodded her head and scribbled it down before looking back up at Alex, "And you?"

"I'll have the same," He said, smiling politely at her.

She nodded again, looking down at her note pad, "Okay, any appetizers? Or are you ready to order?"

Alex looked at me and I nodded, "We're ready to order."

"Okay, what'll you have?"

"I'll have the Chicken Caesar."

"And...I want...the Chicken Parmigiana," He said, using a bad Italian accent.

I laughed and so did the waitress, "Okay, I'll be right back with your drinks." She took the menus and walked away.

"Alex, I like your British accent better," I giggled, shaking my head.

"Fine, I'll talk like this the rest of the night," The British accent was back.

I grinned. It was really sexy. There's just something about guys and accents...

"So, what are we doing after we eat?" I asked, unfolding my napkin and placing it on my lap.

"Well...I was thinking we can go back and fuck in my car," He joked.

I gasped and leaned across the table to smack his arm. Neighboring families looked at us in disgust.

"Look, the drunk mommy's find us disgusting!" He said, loud enough for them to hear.

I covered my mouth, trying to hide my growing smile.

Tonight was going to be fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// when we first met - automatic loveletter.

outfit.

whoop. i'm on a roll with the updates. :D

so, blanklikepaper & rivals are insane get cookies and jack! :D

Image

Image

ENJOI. :D<3

so, thoughts? :))

x.