Sequel: Four Years
Status: Completed. Read the sequel "Four Years" :)

My Saving Grace

Brighter

Rachel's POV

"Are we there yet?" I whined, throwing my head back against the headrest. We had been driving for two days straight and I was getting restless. I just wanted to be in California already. These hotel stops, driving all day and night, and sleeping in the van nights were getting annoying. It was three days since Andy found out about Pete and me. It was so awkward when we would get hotel rooms, because Andy would give Pete and I weird looks when we walked to our room together.

"Pete, can we stop? I need to peepee!" Joe whined, holding his crotch. He started bouncing up and down to try and make it better. It was only going to make it worse. "Please!"

"Ugh, fine," Pete said, pulling over to the side of the road. "Anyone else who needs to take a piss, get out."

All of the guys got out of the van and walked over to separate areas to piss. I giggled as they all spread far away from each other.

"So...Rae..."

"So...Jess..." I mocked her, raising my eyebrow slightly.

"How long have yo - "

"Gotta pee!" I yelled, swinging open the van door. I ran to a spot far away from the four boys and leaned down to do my business. Jesus fuck that was so close. I knew what Jess was going to say. I didn't want her to say it, then have things get awkward as fuck. How the fuck did she find out? I thought Pete and I had been doing very well at hiding it. We didn't complain when we weren't in the same room. We had been fighting a lot...over the stupidest things. We just acted like best friends should act.

...Maybe Andy told her and that's how she knew! That little dick...I can't believe he told her!

I finished what I was doing, and started to walk back over to the van before Joe ran over to me.

"She knows," He whispered, placing his arm around my shoulder.

"What?"

"She knows!" He whisper-yelled.

"Jess? I know that. Pete and I just need to deny, deny, deny until California..." I sighed, wrapping my arm around Joe's waist. "By the way, how do you know she knows?"

"She asked me about it," He replied as we made our way back to the van.

"And what did you do?"

"Deny it."

"Good boy," I laughed, patting his stomach. "Now, I call the laptop!" I screamed, running from him.

"Hey!" He yelled, chasing after me. "We don't have the internet!"

"I don't give a fuck! I just want to play Zoo Tycoon!" I shouted, my legs carrying me as fast as they could go. "Move, Pete!"

I pretty much dove into the van, and grabbed the laptop. I climbed over the seat and sat in my spot in the back.

"Pete, move!" Joe yelled, diving into the van. He glared at me, then dove over the seat, landing in the seat next to me. "Give me the laptop," He demanded.

"Never!" I screamed, clutching the Macbook tightly to my chest. I extended my leg to try to keep him back. I pushed on his chest with my foot, causing him to fall onto the floor.

"My zoo needs to be kept up to date!" He whined, climbing back up onto the seat.

I slowly let my grip on the silver computer loosen. I gave him a questioning look before asking, "Can we share the zoo? It can be called...Troh - "

"Mania. Trohmania," He said, grabbing the computer out of my hand. He opened the laptop and turned it on.

I looked up to see everyone in the van staring at Joe and me. I waved and smiled awkwardly. That was kinda embarrassing.

"Alrighty then...onwards to California!" Andy yelled, pointing in front of us.

I chuckled lightly and looked over to the computer. Joe had pulled up Zoo Tycoon and it was now loading his zoo information.

The van suddenly took off, sending me straight into Joe.

"Whoaaaa! You okay?" He asked, helping me sit back up.

I nodded and quickly buckled myself up. I glared at Pete as he looked in the rearview mirror at me. A small little smile played on his lips. I rolled my eyes and laid my head on Joe's shoulder. I watched him as he started to build more habitats for his little zoo animals.

"No, no, no. Stop building a place for tigers! Build a spot for koalas!" I smiled, pointing to the screen. I giggled as he sighed and put the right vegetation that a little koala would need.

"You're lucky I like you."

"Why? What would you do if some complete stranger came up to you and told you to build a spot in your zoo for koalas?"

"Punch them in the face," He replied as if his answer was nothing bad.

"I love you," I giggled and continued watching him.

"Love you, too, Munchkin," He mumbled, resting his head on mine.

***

"Wake up, Rae. Rae...wake up. Rachel Marie, wake up!" Trick's voice faded into my head. I slowly opened my eyes and saw his face two inches from mine.

"Whoa, dude, get back," I gasped, backing up further into the seat. I pushed his face back so I could have a little space to myself. "Where are we?"

"We are in LA," Pete said as he got out of the drivers side.

"We are?" I asked, shoving passed Trick to get out of the car. "What time is it?"

"Ten thirty-two," Pete replied, going to open the trailer's back door.

"Shit, seriously?" I asked, running my hand through my hair. I grabbed my bag and stared up at the sky. The lights from all the buildings lit it up like a candle. I turned back to Pete, "I guess I just fell asleep."

"Yeah, you fell asleep on me," Joe said as he passed by me to get his bag.

"Oh, really? Sorry," I giggled, following Pete up to the small house. How this was going to hold four boys and two girls, I didn't know. We walked up the pathway to the door, and Patrick unlocked the door.

"Welcome to home for about a month," Jess smiled as we all entered the house.

I gazed around the house. There was a couch placed against the wall facing a large, flat screen TV. The flat screen TV was set on top of a stand that held a DVD player and cable box; both flashed 10:45 as the time. A dining table was set near the kitchen bar. The kitchen was a little small. There were all stainless steel appliances, and granite counter tops.

"Earth to Rachel. Anyone in there?" Pete asked, poking the side of my head.

I snapped out of my daze and shook my head. I guess I had been staring...

"Come on, our room is upstairs," He whispered, grabbing my arm and leading me upstairs.

I looked back down at the group. Jess and Patrick were staring at me and Pete as we walked up the stairs. I sighed and looked back at Pete. His rough, calloused hand gripped my smooth arm lightly. I had the strangest urge to run my hand up his arm, tracing over his tattoos...

Wait, what? What the fuck was I thinking?

"Pete?" I asked, slightly yanking my arm from his grasp.

"Yes?" He asked, not bothering to look back at me as he walked down the hallway towards the room that would be ours for a month.

"I need to talk to you," I sighed, letting my hand trace along the wall as we walked.

"About?"

"Us," I said as he stopped. He turned around and looked me straight in the eyes.

***

Jess's POV

"I need to go talk to them," I mumbled, heading towards the stairs. I walked up the stairs slowly, hearing them talking about something. I peeped my head around the corner and saw them standing there.

Rae's bag was on the floor by her feet. She was holding Pete's hands in hers and she had a small frown painted on her sweet little face.

"Pete, I don't know if we can go on like this. I mean, I hate sneaking around behind Jess' back like this. I know it's only been five days, but seriously, we've been caught by Joe and Andy, I'm pretty sure Jess knows. Joe said she asked him," She sighed as Pete's hands dropped from hers.

"Well, what do you want to do?" Pete asked, scratching the back of his neck. He was obviously just taken back by what Rae just said. Anyone could tell that he really cared for her, and what she said was like a bullet to his heart.

"I don't know. I kinda just want to tell her that we're together, but a tiny part of me wants to just break it off with you. The tiny part of me says to just wait until Jess approves of us being together...if she ever does," She forced out a laugh at the last thing she said.

I smirked. She was already starting to know me like the back of her hand. I would never really approve of her and Pete. He was just too old for her. They were adorable, yeah, but it just wasn't an idea I was too fond of.

"She'll never approve, though. I mean, maybe she would come around to the idea of us as a couple...Just please, Rae, I don't want to just be friends," Pete sighed, throwing his head back towards the ceiling. He was probably desperately trying to figure out a way for her to stay with him.

"Why don't we just tell them?" Rae asked, cocking her head to the side.

He sighed and rubbed his eyes with his hands, pulling his skin down slightly, "Do you really want to do that?"

"I don't know, Pete! Why are we standing here and talking about this? Jess or Trick can probably hear us," She whined. She really didn't like this sneaking around. She probably had enough sneaking around when she was back in Maryland. She wanted to leave all that shit behind, then she comes here and sneaks with Pete. It was probably and huge reminder of her past.

"I just want to tell her..."

I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. I couldn't believe they didn't see me. I thought they would've at least seen me by now. I slowly turned around and headed back down the stairs.

"Did you talk to them?" Patrick asked as I walked into the kitchen. He was cooking something and it smelled and looked delicious.

"Uh, no," I said as he turned around to face me. He set down his spatula and wrapped his arms around me. I sighed and rested my chin on his shoulders as he brought me closer to him. "They were talking about telling us," I whispered.

"What? You heard them talking about it?" He asked, rubbing my back softly. He rested his head on mine. I loved it when we were like this. "What'd they say?"

"Rae wants to tell us, Pete doesn't."

"Of course," He chuckled lightly.

***

Rachel's POV

"Fine, you want to tell her? Go tell her. We'll be broken either way," Pete said, raising his voice slightly.

"Broken? Are you serious?" I said, trying not to laugh. Seriously though, broken? Things wouldn't change. I'd still stay with him if we told Jess. "Whatever, I'm going to go tell her. You wanna come?"

He groaned, giving in to me. We both drew in a deep breath before letting it out slowly. He grabbed my hand and I led the way downstairs. When we got downstairs, I saw Jess talking to Trick while he was making dinner, and Andy and Joe playing videogames in the living room. They hooked up the Xbox that fast? Damn.

Jess stopped talking to Trick as soon as I stepped foot into the kitchen. Pete tugged on my hand, indicating that he did not want to go through with this. Whatever, we needed to. I wasn't going to spend my days sneaking around behind my friend's backs. I did that too much back in MD. I needed to get away from any reminder of home.

"What's up, guys?" She asked, looking down at my hand attached to Pete's.

"We, well...I have something to tell you," I said, looking down at my dirty Chucks. I scuffed the floor with my foot and looked back up. Everyone was now staring at me. I took a deep breath in. It was now or never. "Pete and I are together."

"You are?" Joe gasped, feigning shock. Pete detached his hand from mine and ran over to Joe, pouncing on him.

I rolled my eyes and looked back at Jess. Her face was a mix of, "I knew it," and "I can't fucking believe it." Weird mix, right?

I waited for a response, but didn't get any. I was definitely starting to worry. She probably hated me and him now.

She sighed and shook her head, drawing a deep breath in. I closed my eyes as she let the breath out. I was preparing for the worst.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit:// brighter - paramore.

WHAT DO YOU THINK JESS IS GONNA SAY? OOOOO:

and like i said, things are gonna get choppy real soon. like, i'm not gonna keep dragging this story on and on.

oh, and something big is coming. like, big. shocking big. o.o

so, yeah, thoughts?

night. x.