‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

9

Three months later

*Marie's POV*


"Hey babe," Matt walked in and kissed my cheek "I got the mail.." He smiled and sat down. My stomach flipped. In a week, ONE WEEK, who could have thought he would actually change? Ok, so three months ago I talked with Jackie, right? Well I called the lawer and got papers drawn up. Divorce papers, shoot me.

I had just confirmed them last week, but... over that week, Matt decided to become all lovey dovey and touchy feeling and... amazing again. Guess who felt like a completel barrell of shit? And I knew that manilla folder in the mail wasn't a good thing. Matt scanned it over.

"You sent me mail?" He laughed a little.

I bit my lip and stood up, I'd had my cast off for a weeek now and that was a benefit for me "Uhm... Don't freak out."

"Why would I freak.." He read the front "Marie? What... what is this?" He asked, looking it over with a nervous laugh "These look like..."

"Matt don't freak out," I put my hands out.

"Don't freak out?" His voice was monotone as he looked up at me "You served me divorce papers?" He asked "Wha-... " He looked around "Is is April Fools Day or something?" He stood up "What is this about?"

"I just... I uh.." I stammered, moving backwards "I got the drawn up three months ago-"

"THREE MONTHS!? You've wanted to divorce me for that long?!" Matt shouted "God!" He threw his hands up in the air and tossed the papers around, causing them to scatter over the floor "What? Was this all a joke to you? Getting married? Spending two years together and oh, look, I'm tired of Matt. Huh? What the fuck Marie?!"

"I Dont' want this!" I shouted "I'm tired of you never being around! I want someone who's home at a set time, who doesn't go away for WEEKS at a time without telling me when he'll be back! I want a house in the suburbs, I want a white picket fence, I want FLOWERS!" I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks "I want kids, I want someone that actually loves me!"

"I love you!" Matt shouted back "You don't know that already?! This isn't solving that!" He shoved the envelope in my face "Do you think this solves any of that?!"

"Yes!" I shouted. He stopped, stepped back, and placed his hands at his sides "I'm going to go get that house, that yard, that guy... Kids." I whispered.

"Marie, you aren't magically going to find Mr. Wonderfull out there. You know that, right? It's going to take time. Nothing comes easily in two years!" He began reddening in his face, he was getting angry, if he hadn't been before "Can we just.. Work this out?"

"Matt, is this going to take forever to work out? Are we always going to be working on something?"

"Maybe? What's wrong with that? Aren't all relationships built on... building?" Matt asked as he began collecting the papers on the floor. He stacked them up and placed them on the coffee table "I'm not signing those."

"That's keeping me here againsg my will." I stood up straight.

"Your will? Your will is to leave and possibly go find some douche bag out there that's going to hrut you?" Matt asked, walking quickly over to me "I've been through this before. Corinne left, got hurt, came back and... I fucked up. I thought we were getting better." His eyes were pained.

"Yeah, after I made my decision." I crossed my arms.

"Can't you drop them? Like... resign the papers or something? Take it back?" Matt asked, looking around "I mean... Give me a chance, Marie. I love you, with all my heart. I'm sorry I've been-"

"I've heard enough sorry. I've heard enough, Matt. We never talk about our future, kids, what we're going to do or when we're going to start acting like a married couple." I sighed.

"I'm sorry I'm in a band!" Matt shouted "I'm sorry that I work in different towns! You knew what you were getting yourself into, Marie!" He shouted louder now.

"Well.... Maybe I thought when I quit.... you'd quit to! I gave up my band because we got married."

"No, it broke up. Kevin quit and Josh had a kid." Matt reminded.

"Whatever." I mumbled "I just want that perfect life, Matt. And this... this isn't it."

"Nothing is ever perfect, Marie. I can bet you a million dollars you won't find the perfect life within two years."

"Wanna bet?" I asked.

"No. I want you to drop these papers. I want you to give me a chance." His eyes were once again calm and sad, his entire body language was pleading.

"Matt I just... I don't know. I think I rushed too hard into this."

He held up his hand and shook his head "Whatever. Clearly I'm not going to change your mind. If there's anything I can do though, tell me, please. Anything but a divorce, that's the last thing I want. Because I love you, and you really should know that."

With one last sad look, he sat back down and flipped through the rest of the mail "Matt.." I sat down next to him.

"Yeah?" He asked quietly "Marie?"

"Can we move and have kids?" I whispered quietly as his arm, slowly but surely, movd around my shoulders.

"Absolutely." He whispered "I thought you were going to make me chose." He laughed quietly.

"Chose what?" I asked, looking up at him.

"You or the music." He laughed.

"All I want is the white picket fence, maybe a kid or two, and you to be home before seven or at least have a game plan how long you'll be gone."

"You're so bipolar." Matt kissed the side of my face "I love you."

"Love you too. Are you going to try?" I asked quietly.

"For kids? Hell yes. The house? We'll go looking this weekend. Setting a schedule for the band? For definite." He hugged me closer "I think... as much as I hate to admit it, we needed this wakeup call." He sighed and handed me a magazine "That's your's by the way."

"Thanks babe." I smiled "I'm glad you're going to try."

"I don't want a divorce." He whispered "I was always so afraid of that whenever I'd get close with a girl, like Cori. I was afraid if we ever got married, she'd hate me and divorce me and then no one would ever want to take a chance..."

I sighed and pulled him close, snuggling myself into his side "I love you, you never have to worry about things like that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?