Ready For Your Love

(Un)pleasant Surprises

“She... I eh… She’ll be here soon,” Gerard answers. He looks at me in confusion, not knowing how I managed to ask it as if I’d never had any problem with it.

“Cool,” I say, but then shut up about it, as I know my mask will drop soon.

The silence doesn’t last long though, as two cops walk in.
“Are we disturbing anything?” one of them asks, and I shake my head.

“Go ahead.”

“We just wanted to let Mr. Way know that he will be held responsible for the car crash. Mr Way, you will have to pay the damage to both cars, the medical treatment of you both. Because of the severity of your demeanour, mainly because you nearly killed Ms. Deron, you also risk imprisonment. We wish you both the best of recovery,” the second cop rambles. They simply start leaving the room again after that.

“WAIT!” I yell, my face instantly grimacing at the pain the effort causes. The police men come to a halt and return with a curious look on their face.
“I want to drop the charges, if possible. No imprisonment, no paying for my treatment, at least. I’m not the one to decide whether he should pay the cars. But drop the charges that involve me. Mr. Way will not go to prison, nor pay my treatment.”

The three men look at me surprised. I look over to Gerard. He shakes his head.
“No, Lynn. I won’t let you. I will pay and if needed, I will go to jail.”

In return, I shake my head again. I hope this’ll be the last time, I’m getting a headache.
“Do as I told and leave this room, please. Thank you,” I say to the police men, as I motion them not to protest against a patient’s will.

“Lynn, seriously, I will pa-“ Gerard starts, but I cut him off.

“Drop it. I don’t want to know. You won’t pay, you won’t go to jail. End of story. Now, tell me, what’s so severe about our accident?”

Gerard looks at me, and his hand moves to scratch the back of his neck in a nervous manner. “I could have killed many people. I passed the speed limit, I was way over it. My brakes didn’t work, I’m guessing someone sabotaged it, but the police won’t listen. They just think I was driving a car that wasn’t allowed to be out on the street. Those crossroads were stuffed with cars, like I said, I could have killed many people. I drove through many red lights. And so on. But I couldn’t do anything about it. My brakes were cut over, I swear.”

Looking Gerard dead in the eye, I know he’s speaking the truth. “I believe you, Gerard. I’m happy it turned out so ‘well’, you know what I mean.”

He softly smiles, grateful that I’m being kind to him. Maybe it’s the drugs, I don’t know, but I can’t find it in me to be a bitch to him all the time anymore.
“As soon as we’re out of here, we’ll just forget about all this, okay?” Gerard nods enthusiastically, but pain jolts through his neck so he stops immediately and lays down again. He hopes we can stay like this afterwards, not enemies anymore.

But I said “all this”. I have yet to figure out whether that includes my kindness, honestly.

Another silence fills the room, as we both look at our injured bodies, trying to ease the pain.
I check the needle allowing drugs to drip into my system, noticing the bag containing them is almost empty. I frown, realizing that must mean I already had a lot.

“Was not!” Frank says, coming into the room as he sticks out his tongue to Jamia. She just laughs and shakes her head, knowing whatever they were talking about, he was.

She’s holding my baby in her arms. It seems Kayla is fine, despite some scratches.

Frank looks over to me, and noticing that I’m awake, he walks over and hugs me. “Welcome back, kiddo,” he whispers in my ear. I smile, knowing it had hurt him to watch my lie here.
Jamia comes over too, and puts Kayla in my arms.

“She’s just fine, you pretty much managed to cover the glass shards and all from her with your own body.”

“Thank God,” I sigh, looking down in my arms to see my angel smile. “You have no idea how grateful I am nothing happened to her.”

Frank and Jamia smile again, nodding. I notice Frank glancing up to Gerard, shooting daggers at him with his eyes. I lay my fingers on his arm, telling him not to bother.

“Can I hold her, please?” Gerard asks, ignoring the looks Frank is throwing him.
I look over to the right, too, facing Gerard. I quickly think it over, but shake my head.

“I’m sorry. I can’t trust you enough,” I softly say.

“B-but what the hell would I do to my own daughter?” he asks, my reply hitting him square in the face.

“She’s not your daughter, Gerard. You don’t know shit about her.”

“I do… I do… ” He’s gradually getting more and more confused, and hurt.

“What’s the colour of her eyes, then?” I ask venomously. My kindness of earlier has completely disappeared, as Gerard hit the subject that meant the most to me.

“I-it’s… Her e-eyes are…” he starts, but soon enough, he sighs. “I don’t know.”

“See? You were never there, Gerard. You know nothing about Kayla. How the fuck would she be your daughter?” I hiss. Subconsciously, I wrap my arm tighter against my baby.

Being too caught up in accusing Gerard of not being responsible, I didn’t notice his fiancée walking in in the meantime.
“Gerard baby, are you alright?” she shrieks in her awful voice. It pierces my brain and makes me land in the presence again. I stare at the couple, as Gerard looks over to her, smiles, and pulls her arm to make her bend down and receive a kiss.

“I’m fine, Eliza.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, Eliza will seem like a total bitch and whore in this story. No, I do not hate her. In fact, I think she’s pretty rad. Get over the fact she and Gerard dated. There’s nothing wrong with what they had.