Status: COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT :D

Handful Of Moments

When I Woke Up Alone;

It’s the third week of school and another third week in a row without decent sleep. Josie looked at her phone that read 2:15 a.m.. She opened her window to try and calm herself down to go back to bed.

“Hey,” she was greeted by Alex, she waved. This became routine by the second week of not sleeping.

“I know you can talk, Jojo,” he said in almost a pissed off tone.

Josie raised her eyebrow, “Jojo?”

“Nickname,” he sighed, “Nightmare again?” She shook her head. “Then what is it?”

“Insomnia,” she chuckled.

Alex swung his feet over the edge of the roof, “So tell me why you choose not speak?”

Josie rubbed her neck not ready to really admit her mom was gone forever.

Alex sighed, “I understand. Someone close to me just passed away too.”

Her eyes widened, “How do you know?”

“News, I’m actually a teenager who watches that shit,” he answered, “You know you’re dad’s a pretty good coach? I mean 12-1, that’s pretty damn good.” She nodded.

“So I take it you know you’re football?” Josie’s lips into a big smile. “That’s awesome.” Alex smiled.

“I’m coming to school tomorrow, well actually today, but you know what I mean right, Jojo?” Jose nodded and felt something funny in her stomach when he said her new nickname.

“Do you want me to pick you up?” Alex asked. Josie shrugged. “Alright, better be ready by 7:20, Jojo.”

---

It was 6:25 when Josie woke up. She stretched as she arose from her bed and headed towards the showers. The shower only took ten minutes. Her hair was braided into low pigtails so her dirty blond hair can have a soft wave to it. Jose pulled out a pair of too big of pants, a light blue cami, and a green v-neck sweater, knowing it’s going to be a cold fall day. She sat down at her vanity to put on her concealer and foundation to hide her freckles that go across her nose. Then she just swiped her eyelashes with mascara.

It was 7:00 by the time she was done getting ready. That left her twenty minutes of free time. Josie opened the fridge and found some english muffins. She sliced them into halves and slid them into the toaster. They popped out a minute later; she lathered them in butter and honey. Jose headed towards the couch to watch the news.

She mindlessly watched the reports about the war and all the other bad news they only report. A loud obnoxious honking noise got her out of her daze. She jumped up forgetting Alex was picking her up today. Josie got off the couch and slipped on her vans and backpack.

“Hey,” Alex slightly smiled.

She smiled and pulled her big jeans up and entered his Ford Explorer.

Alex shook his head and sighed at the silent girl. He has no idea why he gets so pissed when she doesn’t talk. He barely knows this girl. Basically all he knew is that her dad was the coach, she chooses not to talk, she’s his neighbor, her name is Josie, and her mom died and that was from the news. But other side of him makes him feel so comfortable with himself around her. He likes how Josie actually listens to him. He likes that she doesn’t ask for reasons or explanations of things he did. He likes that she doesn’t judge him. Mostly he likes her laugh because she’d snort in between some laughs.

“I don’t wanna go today,” Alex mumbled as he parked in his assigned spot.

Josie showed off a small smile, “Me either.”

A crooked smirk came across his face, “Wanna skip?”

Josie never skipped before, but never really thought of it. Her dad is working at his regular eight to five job and then he heads straight to practice after that. She held up a finger to Alex.

Dad, it’s that time of the month and I don’t feel the best to go to school. Can you call me in sick? Josie texted her dad. Alex was staring at her wondering what she was doing. Her phone rang and she did thumbs up with a huge cheesy smile. Alex chuckled and backed out of the parking lot.

---

They decided to hang at Susie’s Café. “So this is where you hang out after school?” Alex asked observing the small café. Josie took a sip of her latte and nodded.

Alex felt his pocket vibrate and looked at it. His mom was calling. He pressed his phone’s side button and ignored it.

Josie raised an eyebrow, “Mom,” Alex simply said, “School probably called her saying I’m not at school. You know, my mom asked the school to keep an eye out for me? It’s so damn annoying. When I skipped school last year, she couldn’t give a damn. But now she does.” Alex let out some of his frustration and anger out.

Josie had a sympathetic smile and nodded.

“Just because he died doesn’t mean I’m going to do the same fucking thing,” Alex started to sob.

Josie got up from her chair and grabbed his hand to lead him out of the café. She led him to the car. Alex put both of his hands on the steering wheel banging his head against the wheel. His tears just kept coming.

Josie rubbed his back in soothing circles. Then she wrapped her arms around him as he cried into her chest.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Alex felt shocked hearing her voice, her very soothing voice, “Alex, you’re not going to do it whatever happened.”

Alex mumbled, “He killed himself.” He felt her arms go tighter around his shoulders.

“You know, Alex, you’re so strong and I don’t think you know that,” Alex looked at Jojo’s blue eyes and saw them watering, “I could never be as strong as you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alex's Car
Outfit

Aw poor Alex. I kinda like this chapter a lot.
Look Josie is starting to talk more.
So I hope you enjoy this story. I think it's starting to grow on me.
Btw Guess where I got the name for Josie :)
haha
So comment your opinions about this chapter or the story overall :D