‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 14

------------
The Rev
------------

When I got back to the casino, I headed straight up to my place to plan a special night for London. Vengeance has gone to pick the girls up from the spa to take them shopping. I had specifically asked that he make sure she get something for tonight among whatever else she wanted. My preferred color of choice was of course white. I loved London in white.

I spent most of the afternoon getting the place ready for her return. I wanted everything to be perfect. From the music down to the food, everything had to be just right for her. I still wasn’t sure how she would react, but I hoped it would make her happy if even just for one night. After setting everything up the way I wanted it to be, I called down to the kitchen and ordered dessert to be sent up after we ate. When everything was set to my liking, I headed off to take a shower and get ready myself.

About two hours later, Vengeance called and let me know that they were ten minutes away. I spent those ten minutes making sure that every last detail was perfect and when I heard the elevator I slipped on my shoes and went to the living room to wait for London.

I’ll admit, I was kind of nervous. This was a make or break moment in our marriage. As London walked through the door, I stood there taking in her appearance. She looked completely refreshed. She set down all the bags that she had from all the shopping she did and looked over at me. A little white sundress took the place of the shorts and t-shirt she was wearing when she left this morning and her makeup now covered the bruise on her cheek. She wasn’t overdone, she was just perfect.

“Did you have a nice time?” I asked.

“Yes.” She nodded while fidgeting wither her hands. She looked slightly uncomfortable and my guess was that it had to do with her appearance. She stood there looking around the apartment taking in all I had done to set up. I had set up white candles and lit them through out the place. Soft music played in the background. “What’s going on?” She asked nervously.

“Well, I was thinking and there is something I wanted to give you that you deserve to have.”

“What?”

I walked over and took her hand. I walked her through the living room to the bedroom. The whole room was lit with candles and white rose petals covered the bed. I walked her through the bedroom to the terrace doors and opened them. When we stepped out side, dinner was waiting for the two of us alone with a waiter who was ready to serve. I pulled out a chair for her and she sat down never taking her eyes off me. As I sat, the waiter poured the wine for both of us and left us alone. “I know we didn’t have the most conventional wedding and I know it wasn’t exactly romantic, but I wanted to give you a wedding night that would make you happy. At least I hope it will.”

It took a lot for me to put that out there like that after all I had said and done to her. She looked at me curiously and I waited for her to say something. “A wedding night?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. “It’s not a honeymoon in some foreign place or a grand reception with a band and dancing. Just you and me having diner, a little wine and conversation.”

London looked down at the table and set her hands in her lap. “Are you unhappy?” I asked her and she lifted her eyes to look back at me.

“It’s not that I’m unhappy. I just don’t know what to make of it. I want to be happy, but I know if I am happy, it won’t last because you’ll take it away from me. Some how, some way, I’ll make you mad and you’ll take it away from me.

It was understandable to me how she could feel that way. I abused her and every time I did, it was right after she was the happiest. “London, I can’t change what’s already happened, but I can make things better from now on. You just have to let me. I don’t expect you to trust me, but just for tonight, maybe you could try.”

“Ok.” She nodded and the waiter came back with our dinner plates. While we ate, we made small talk and she told me about her spa day. She’d said she never went to the spa before and that her favorite part was the massage.

“So, I saw a few bags out there, what did you buy?”

“Nothing really special, just some clothes. I really don’t have a lot here, so I just got a few things.”

“You could have bought anything you wanted.” I told her as I cut my steak.

“I didn’t want to take advantage.”

I set my fork and knife down on the table beside my plate and reached for her hand. She gave it to me willingly. “I have something for you.” I smiled and she looked back at me curiously.

“What is it?”

While I held one of her hands in mine I took a ring out of my pocket and held it out for her to see. “It’s an engagement ring. I know we kind of skipped that part and hopefully, you’ll wear this and give me a shot and showing you how things could be. Maybe one day, if you want, we can have a real wedding.”

“Do you mean it?” She asked.

“Of course I do.” I slipped the ring on her finger and let her hand go so she could look at it. “So, what do you think? Do you think you can give me a shot at making you happy?”

“Yes.” So there was some hope for me. I reached across the table and took her hand in mine again.

“Are you ready for dessert?”

“There’s dessert too?” She asked. I had to hold back my laughter as I looked at her.

“Of course.” I called for the waiter to bring dessert and as he cleared our dinner plates and I got up and moved my chair to sit closer to her. I had told him beforehand to only serve one dessert and to serve it to London. We would share, but she didn’t know that. When the waiter returned he set down a clear glass in front of London filled with chocolate mousse. As he was about to set down the spoon, London looked up at him. “We don’t need the spoon.” I chuckled lightly and she looked back at me. “Do we?”

I dipped my finger in the mousse and slipped it past her lips. “No, Sugar Plum. We don’t.”

------------
Shadows
------------

I cleaned up as much of the mess as I could. What I couldn’t do, I hired others to handle. There were contractors in and out of the Penthouse all day replacing doors and broken windows and cabinets. I did quite a number on the Penthouse while Izzy was gone. Now that she was back and things were somewhat clearer, it was time to clean up the damage I had done.

Sure the damage extended beyond what I did to the Penthouse. I’d ignored every sign that Izzy wasn’t doing this to me on purpose and jeopardized her life. I ran Gates ragged while his own girl was in a hospital fighting for his life. I insulted The Rev and his marriage right to his face, but the person I hurt the most was Christ.

Speaking of…I looked up from my desk just in time to see him walking through my Penthouse. When he spotted me he stopped in his tracks and looked at me. His face was hard and he looked rather pissed off. I don’t know what he was thinking about, but when he started walking towards me he never took his eyes off me. I was sure he was going to yell at me for what happened with Chelsea in the bar. It was my fault and I was fully ready to apologize.

I was about to stand up, but as I leaned forward, he punched me as hard as he could knocking me back against the chair. “You selfish son of a bitch.” He looked at me and I knew that now wasn’t the time to say anything back to him. Never in all the years that I had known him had I ever seen him this mad. I was about to stand and say something, but he turned and left.

I got up from behind my desk and walked into the bedroom. Izzy was lying on the bed and when I walked into the room she sat up. “You’re bleeding.”

“Yeah.” I nodded full of shame and walked past the bed into the bathroom.

“What happened?”She asked as she followed after me. I turned on the faucet and dampened a rag.

“It’s nothing I didn’t deserve.” That was the honest truth. I deserved a hell of a lot more than a punch in the mouth though.

“I don’t really know what you are talking about, so I’ll just leave it alone.” As I dabbed the rag at the corner of my mouth, Izzy walked back into the bedroom. I was grateful that she hadn’t pushed the issue. I really didn’t want to explain to her how much of a bastard I really was while she was gone and put myself in a worse light than I was already in. When I walked out of the bathroom, Izzy was sitting on the bed watching television.

I contemplated telling her about Marco and where he was right now. I knew that Gates was holding all the cards and it was his plan, but I still didn’t want to upset Izzy anymore. The mere mention of his name sent her into fits of tears. According to Gates, his plan would allow for each of us to have our revenge, but my turn wouldn’t come for a long time so there would be no need for me to be at the mansion any time soon.

“I need to go down to the bar and take care of something.” Izzy looked disappointed and for some reason, it didn’t bother me. My feelings had been so far gone the last couple of days that it’s going to take a lot to bring back what Izzy and I once had, but for now, I had to go mend a few broken hearts that didn’t belong to Izzy or myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I ended Girl I Know and posted the first chapter of Majesty Castle today. Over next week, depending on my schedule, I am going to try and juggle this story as well as Snow White and the Sevenfold until they are completed so I can focus soley on Majesty.