‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 27

-----------
Gates
-----------

Immediately, I opened the bathroom door again and walked back out into the bedroom. Kristina was still sitting on the edge of the bed with her face in her hands crying. I walked right over to her and knelt down in front of her. “Kristina.” I said her name as softly as I could, but she just continued crying as if I hadn’t spoken.

I sighed and stood up to sit down on the bed beside her and reached over to pull her onto my lap. “I’m sorry.” As I held her in my arms, I felt so guilty about lashing out at her. I didn’t want her to be the one to be there when it happened and I finally did break down. “I didn’t mean to lose it on you like that.”

She wrapped her arms around me tightly as she embraced me and I couldn’t help let my own tears fall finally. “I never wanted to hurt you, Krissy.”

“I know.” She reached up and put her hand in my hair and began softly rubbing my head.

“Come on, eat your breakfast.” I told her making her sit up and look at me. I felt so guilty when I saw her face. “It’s ok.” I nodded and set her down on the bed against the headboard and put the tray on her lap. Her hands were shaking as she picked up the fork. “I’m gonna go get you some coffee.” I kissed her head before standing and walking to the kitchen.

As I stood at the counter pouring coffee into a mug for her, I couldn’t stop thinking about what a jerk I was. I was no better than Shadows after Izzy came home this last time. Kristina was so fragile as it was. There I go with my big mouth and make her cry.

As I walked back into the bedroom and sat down on the bed, I handed her the cup of coffee that I had poured for her and set my own cup down on the end table. I noticed that she hadn’t touched her pancakes. After what I said to her, it was no surprise. “We can go out for breakfast if you want.”

She shook her head no and looked down at her plate. “Say something.”

She looked up at me and her eyes were no longer filled with water, but I could still see the sadness. “You’re mad at me.” she whispered.

“No, baby.” I moved the tray from her lap and set it down on the end table. “I’m not mad at you. I didn’t mean to yell like that and make you feel bad. I’m so sorry.” When I climbed in bed beside her, I grabbed her hand and held it in mine. “How about I call the kitchen and order some new pancakes for you. Those are probably cold by now.”

“Ok.”

I kissed her temple and put my arm around her shoulder while I called the kitchen from my cell phone to order her pancakes. I ended up ordering more than just pancakes, I ordered breakfast for the both of us hoping that if we ate together, it would make up for my little outburst earlier. “I love you.” She told me when I hung up the phone and I squeezed her tightly.

“I love you too. More than anything.”

“I know.” She smiled.

When the food arrived I got up off the bed to go and get it and before I could leave the room, Synner nipped at my ankle. “Little fucker bit me!” I turned and looked back at Kristina who was trying not to laugh. I walked out to get the tray from room service and when I came back Kristina had Synner sitting on her lap on the bed.

“Oh no. There is one place I will not budge.” I set the tray down and grabbed Synner off Kristina’s lap. “I don’t share my bed. Least of all with a dog that bites.”

The dog yapped when I set him down on the floor, but I really didn’t care. That’s my bed! When I got in beside Kristina I grabbed the breakfast tray and set it down on my lap. I ordered pancakes, bacon, some fruit and of course whipped cream.

While we were eating breakfast Kristina suddenly looked at me with a strange look on her face. “What’s the whipped cream for? She asked.

I just laughed lightly and gave her the smirk. “I’ll show you after you finish your pancakes.” She eyed me curiously and I winked at her making her shake her head and laugh at me.

-------------
Shadows
-------------

“So, have you given any thought to our little talk this morning?”

Izzy was standing in front of the bed folding laundry. She set the shirt that she had in her hand back down in the laundry basket and looked over at me. “Yes.”
“And?” I walked over to the bed and sat down beside the basket of laundry to help her fold.

“And I already told you I would do what you asked, why are you harping on it?” She was right, I shouldn’t have brought it up again.

“I’m not harping on it, I’m just making sure you weren’t just saying what I wanted you to say just to get me off your case.” That one’s gonna bite me in the ass.

She folded her arms across her chest and looked like she was pretty pissed off. “So, you’re back to not trusting me again.”

She turned and walked out of the bedroom and I got up and ran out after. I didn’t mean it the way she took it. I caught her around the waist and stopped her from walking, but she wouldn’t turn around and look at me. “I trust you with my own life, Izzy.”

“Then why did you say that?” Her voice cracked as she spoke and I turned her around to face me.

“I don’t know.” I told her. “I’m just trying to make sure you are taking this seriously. I don’t mean to harp on it, but it is important to me.”

She tried to move past me, but I side stepped her and blocked her. “Izzy, don’t be upset with me.”

“Then back off! What is this? Pick on Izzy day?”

Sure I made it seem that way. I put my hands on her upper arms and rubbed them gently. “I’m sorry. Ok. I was being insensitive. I know you said you would do it for me and I guess I just got a little nervous about it. I promise I wont mention it again.” I made an “X” over my heart with my finger and she looked up at me with pouty lips. What she did next, I never saw coming. She punched me in the stomach.

“Hey, you wanna hit something?” I picked her up and threw her over my shoulders.

“What are you doing?”

“You’ll see!” I carried her down the hall to the elevator and when we got inside I pushed the button for the main floor. I carried her past my office and down the hall.

“Where are we going?” She laughed.

“As I said, you’ll see.” I continued walking until we reached the end of the hall. I pulled the keys from my pocket as I stood in front of the door that led to our destination. When I got the door open I carried Izzy inside and walked through one room and into another. I set her down in front of me and held my hands on her waist. “Now, as I was saying upstairs. You want to hit something?” I spun her around and had her face a “punching bag” literally. We were in my gym and in one room, I had everything she would need to beat out her frustrations. “Go for it.” I encouraged her to hit the bag and she turned her head back to look at me.

“Go on.” I pushed her forward a little. “Imagine that the bag that’s hanging there is Marco.” That was all I had to say before her fist hit the bag. I walked over and stood behind the bag to hold it steady. “Good. Now remember, Marco put a nasty little scar on your face.”

She punched the bag harder this time. She needed this really bad; I don’t think anyone took sight of what this was doing to her inside. All we cared about was that she was home, none of us ever really probed into how it made her feel or asked her how she was dealing with all of it. I should have got her a shrink or at least sat her down and asked her to talk to me about how she was feeling. “He made you his whore, Izzy.”

Every word I spoke was fueling her rage. My poor bag didn’t stand a chance. “He took you away from me.” Izzy hit the bag with all the might she had. “Izzy, he killed your friend. He killed Sammy.” I could see the mix of sweat and tears on her face. He hands had to be killing her by now. “He hurt me, Izzy.”

She kicked the bag and threw her whole body into it. I can honestly say that if Marco were standing in front of her today, she’d have kicked his ass to kingdom come. I couldn’t let this go on any more. “Izzy, stop.” I told her, but she just continued to punch and kick the bag. I had to step out from behind the bag and physically grab her hands to make her stop. “Stop.” I held both of her hands together in one of my hands while my free arm made its way around her waist. “It’s ok now.”

Izzy looked up at me with the saddest water logged eyes. “It’s ok.” I told her again and stepped right into me and hid her face in my chest. I let go of her hands and she wrapped them around my waist for dear life. “I love you.” I said just before kissing her head. I really hope this helped bring out all that she had pent up inside her. “Come on. Lets go back upstairs.” I kept my arm around her while we walked out of the gym and back down the hall to the elevator.

“Are things ever going to be normal again?” She asked while we waited for the doors to open.

“Were they ever normal to begin with?”

We stepped inside the elevator and she looked up at me. “No. I don’t think so, but you know what I mean. The way they were with us.”

The elevator doors re-opened again on the penthouse level. I had my hand on the small of her back as we stepped out. “I think things are on their way to getting there.” Izzy hugged me as we walked though the living room and into the bedroom. Needless to say, the laundry never did get folded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still not over yet...